G-Minor 49

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Score (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: England
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.002, 2.13.002 or 3.13.001
  • Date: 25th July to 10th August 2008
Must not play as Inca.

The highest score wins.

hmmmm emperor for a minor gauntlet. i guess the most important thing here is to keep the AI from winning and grow yourself as big as possible while not finishing with domination.

tried to dig up a walktrough to huge score thread but could not find it, im sure i seen one a couple of months ago. Anyone can link this thread or give any handy pointers like map type (i usually just do continents or pangea), opponents (don't know mutch about them so now i just do random) and strategie (probably rush 2 civs and later on pillage most cities except the good ones).

Victoria has expansive in vanilla, wouldn't that be a advantage for score victories? anyway i think i pick elizabeth and play with bts. never did a time victorie so should be fun to try it out, but i probably cant finish as emperor may be a tad to hard.

gz.

-edit-
And playing with max opponents adds to score as well right? especially when you erase them from the face of the plannet :D.

ow... i thought this was time victory but offcourse now i see. too bad, the domination games doesn't look real fun to play. Or in other words "i don't think its my style"

Victory type doesnt matter. AP, UN, domination, and conquest are the easiest to control and achieve in fast enough time however. Just think population.

After the major domination with Rome, I was in that mode and thought a swordsman rush through a terra map would be good. Wow, what a difference there is between marathon and epic. Praets rolled the whole game on marathon but swordsman could roll 1 or 2 civs before the AI gets LB and then you have an outdated military and no tech lead.

Time for a new approach. Gonna try cultural this time.

I think the strongest move is Nationalism slingshot (bulb Philo, research CS, pick non Oracle building opponents) in order to build Curassiers by about 1 AD. Epic moves pretty quick compared to Marathon.

I think the strongest move is Nationalism slingshot (bulb Philo, research CS, pick non Oracle building opponents) in order to build Curassiers by about 1 AD. Epic moves pretty quick compared to Marathon.

So who are non-oracle building civs? I went with non- pro or agg for the military advantage and still would lose 5 or 6 swords and axes to a couple archers.

So who are non-oracle building civs? I went with non- pro or agg for the military advantage and still would lose 5 or 6 swords and axes to a couple archers.
Tokugawa, Joao, Frederick, Washington, several Aggressives.... just not Ghandi, Asoka, Liz (if you play different leader), or Isabella.

I throw Mansa into the opponents, and you have to watch him RE: Oracle, but he is invaluable to trade with.

If you fight with swords, axes, etc. it really slows down the tech pace. 2 move units are much more efficient IMO.

If you fight with swords, axes, etc. it really slows down the tech pace. 2 move units are much more efficient IMO.

killercane: If you rely on 2 movers, what do you do about seige?

I find that bombarding is the #1 thing that slows me down on BTS. I know you can support city revolt with a spy, but at 500 points a pop it isn't sustainable.

killercane: If you rely on 2 movers, what do you do about seige?

I find that bombarding is the #1 thing that slows me down on BTS. I know you can support city revolt with a spy, but at 500 points a pop it isn't sustainable.
With curassiers vs. longbows you dont need any catapults. The AI also has time to build some improvements in the city to make your cost/benefit ratio of losing 1-2 Curassiers per city manageable. Emperor AI is just slow enough not to advance the tech pace quickly but capable enough to defend against mere axes/swords/chariots which could be better hammers spent in improving your tech pace. Its all about getting to Sushi quickly and colonizing the seafood resources.

Normally, the earlier to war the better usually but with England here it is tough and you have to play up to the fast tech traits of Liz. I dont see Churchill or Victoria as having any advantages over Liz here.

Just why would you play BtS? Play Vanilla - no maths for CS, Cavalry at MilTrad, faster bombardment, cats can kill units. And for thr Romans UB is not crucial. And if you capture all cities at the last turn, there is no need to use Vassalage.

Walords is also an option, if you're ready to risk CS slingshot with Maths. Also, AI tend to settle hills and resources more often. As a bonus, you get generals and cultural leader.

Ended up with a space race win (Arch map) after lots of tries. I figures the map choice would slow the AI down some. It did but I ended up needing a PA since 2 of the AI got one. I had never seen the AI in PA before and then 2 games in a row it happened.

Second place right now but with 11k that won't last long.

Would sushi add that much to score? You can only get it late game... What type of victory is it when you go for the sushi corp? Space race or time? Or am i just a noob for getting sushi after 1800 and i should have it by 1200?

Would sushi add that much to score? You can only get it late game... What type of victory is it when you go for the sushi corp? Space race or time? Or am i just a noob for getting sushi after 1800 and i should have it by 1200?
Sushi adds a ton to score. Look at VirusMonster's 500K thread in Strategy and Tips.

Look at killercane's 1mn+ score at Huge Immortal :)

Top Bottom