1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-minor LI

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Apr 14, 2013.

1. HideInLight

HideInLight Warlord

Those are some impressive finish times you guys are posting, gj!
    But I am definately at least gonna try to beat you :)

2. BobiB420

BobiB420 Warlord

I highly doubt I will win this, or even get a good position. I'm not very good at culture games, and being a marathon player, standard speed is just out of my scope of experience. I couldn't help but laugh so much it hurt when I saw this list pop up though. I knew I was in a decent spot to support a large, industrious city. Actually forgot to swap from gold to food for a while, which is why my city is so small, but it's pumping out 25 food per turn, and enough production to nab all the wonders and build any military unit in 1 turn. This is funny though, truly. See for yourselves:

Spoiler :

Here's my current situation. I know, it's not a perfect Petra. I didn't even start here, I started like 4 tiles east lol
    Spoiler :

3. cas

cas Emperor

Meh. T235 on a nice location but without a mountain.

Messed up overlfow hammers at the end (3-4 turns lost). I can see where I could have got to T228...even with a semi-slow start with bad ruins luck and losing 4 turns moving.

I'm betting the winner will be under T220.

cas

4. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Well, not to make this a contest of who can bid lower, I do think below 200 is possible. Though it would take a pretty good player with plenty of luck.

Vexing, you playing?

5. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Oh, and did I mention that I got below 220 in my second full try? :-D

Turned out I was wrong about the war with the CS slowing me down. Despite having less RAs I teched and cultured a little faster, though i don't quite know why.

6. vexing

vexing knows

i should have some time to try this one... i'm definitely not getting below 200 though. below 220 is impressive

7. BobiB420

BobiB420 Warlord

Depends on what you did with the CS I suppose, I farmed my two neighbor CS for buku experience for well over 150 turns, which is probably why Atilla, the biggest warmonger of all, considers me a warmonger. Also with the honor opener, I was able to get plenty of culture destroying barbs. Had a few camps right on my borders for an eternity, so I took advantage. But hey, my CV will probably happen around t275. I might be able to push it sooner though if I DoW Alex again, he has plenty of pikes and knights, which will net good culture. That was actually my plan from about t20, build up 6 logisitics/range archers on the CS's and go to town on Alex. DoW'd early cause his constant complaining about attacking CS got old fast. 3k+ year war with Alex LOL

My game is a little humorous, as I picked all warmonger civs, and every other turn they all denounce each other! Pyrmaids built in 1205AD by AI shows their priorities.

8. HideInLight

HideInLight Warlord

Wow under T-220 is just sick good, better than I thought possible. I am at T-238 atm after 4 tries and tbh I dont know how to shave off another 20+ turns, except maybe with some sick super starting position, because so far my starts were just ok not great I would say.

Do you mind posting a screenshot of your starting position?

9. Xger

Xger Prince

Ya I definitely won't be competing well in this one, as I'm in a similar position to HideInLight (not knowing how to shave turns) but need to shave a lot more turns than 20.....

10. HideInLight

HideInLight Warlord

Just managed T-225 and its definately improvable a bit at least. It would take quite some time and dedication to reroll enough though, not sure if I will give it the effort, but I might.

Btw first time I actually made use of Cristo Redendor. It shaved off just 1 turn, but even that counts.

Attached Files:

11. BobiB420

BobiB420 Warlord

Wow, good job!:goodjob:

Love those little squiglies you made while searching for the other continent :lol:

12. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

what time do you guys enter and finish freedom?

13. HideInLight

HideInLight Warlord

In my best game I opened Freedom at T-151. Not sure when I finished it, probably like T-180 - T-190.

14. Xger

Xger Prince

How many artists are you settling?

15. HideInLight

HideInLight Warlord

Check the screenshot I posted, I think it was 8 or 9, not sure.

16. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

best use of oxford in this scenario? archaeology?

does anyone use this hybrid tech path:
    education => acoustics => chemistry => fertilizer with oxford => archaelogy

heard this somewhere "The absolute fastest route is rush education and then double back to get fertilizer at a total cost of 7630 beakers."

17. vexing

vexing knows

no.
    if you want to be more direct in getting into industrial, you'd be better off going banking, economics, then bulbing industrialization.

it's hard to say if that's worthwhile, given you want to get architecture for hermitage, and in this one you also want astronomy for getting to the other continent and observatory (probably), which leaves just navigation in the way of archaeology

18. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

navigation => archaeology (oxford) :)

thx, was contemplating different approaches

19. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Will do as soon as the game is accepted - just submitted it and had a crash midgame.

As far as I recall, it was a nice, but not spectacular desert hills/river/mountain/marble starting position.

20. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Or use oxford for accoustics (or architecture, depending on construction pace) and use bulbing/RAs for archaeology.

It's not much, but oxford does give 1 culture per turn and (i think) 3 science. The earlier you can use it for something equally useful, the better.