1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXIX

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Warlord
    • Map Size: Small
    • Map Type: Frontier
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Morocco (Ahmad al-Mansur)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 17th January to 1st February 2014
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. WarFox

WarFox Chieftain

Ohh I like the choice :) is rites banned for this gauntlet?

3. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

if you mean sacred sites, it isnt considered exploit so it's allowed

4. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Great.. I buy the game cause the new culture victory seems interesting and moments later find it broken due to sacred sites. I wish I had known this before buying :-(

5. WarFox

WarFox Chieftain

262 with kind of ICS with sacred sites -.- it's possible to do faster... can I upload this game and then try for better and upload better score, or I must save all savegame files and upload best?

6. Peets

You can submit as many games as you want :)
    Your best game counts.

7. WarFox

WarFox Chieftain

Thanks Peets, I'll try for faster time then :)

8. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

diplo - broken, elimination )
    science - broken, overflow )
    culture - broken, sacred sites )
    domination - idk seems "not" broken

BNW at it's finest :lol:

9. Chronometrics

Chronometrics Chieftain

Never done one of these before, decided I'd register and try it for once. Spent the day on it, 3 cities, all the right rules, finished with 2800~ pts on turn 182. Stupidly, I did not read the part about submitting so I only made two save files - one on turn 2800 BC and one the turn after I finished. Oh well, it was pretty fun. It made me play a way I'd never tried before. While having only a few cities was really uneventful, it was kind of soothing. Or maybe it's just that I'm used to more aggressive difficulty settings. Either way, it was a vastly different kind of game than my usual style and I'll try another gauntlet sometime when I'm feeling ambitious.

10. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

How did you so fast?I had 3 cities with both cathedral/pagoda plus mosque wonder ,22 tourism and been only on 50%,had to wait another 100 turns to reach it.
    Another strange thing is your score,i should having more score considering it's 100 turns more yet i have less.
    When it comes to polices,i got full piety,2 tradition,2 liberty,and after that full astetic.

Attached Files:

11. Peets

You are allowed to submit autosaves. :)

12. Marathoner

Marathoner Warlord

Turn 174 win.

ICS, sacred sites strategy. At the end had about 20 cities with 4 settlers ready to settle. Opened tradition, then piety to reformation then liberty to free settler. Got DF and settled next to one of the faith mountains.

Took +2 gold/Pagoda/Mosques/IP, then just spread like crazy.

Conquered Venice as they were a runaway culture civ. Sent an army to conquer the Huns, as they were the second 'runaway', but didn't fight as open borders helped more than taking down their cities.

Opponents: Venice, Huns, Mongolia, Shaka, Assyria.

13. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

t136, sacred sites, ICS

strategy: get to reformation as fast as possible, while building settlers and declaring war on leader in culture

policy: full piety

bo: scout,scout,monument,settler till infinity

religion: desert folklore, 100 gold, pagoda, mosque, spreader

14. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Broken :-/

Nice addition of declaring war on cultural leader, though. Did you do that to reduce the cultural output, or did you actually kill the cultural leader?

My best so far: t139 with liberty/piety.

15. Chronometrics

Chronometrics Chieftain

crocivfantatic - I can't tell everything from that picture, but I can tell a few things you've done wrong. Firstly, you didn't set up trade routes with food, did you? Your cities are very low in population compared to mine.

Secondly, where are all your improvements? There is no reason not to have your capital almost surrounded by great person improvements, they're the best long term investment for a populated city. And EVERY tile should have an improvement, in every city, preferrably not a farm, farms rarely break even in my experience. Specifically, your capital should definitely have built Petra and have Kasbahs on EVERY desert tile. 2Prod, 2Food, 1Gold, 1Faith (Desert Folklore) per tile? Yes please. Of course your cities won't put out if they haven't been improved.

Third - Where are your roads? Why no roads between cities? Internal trade routes are not as awesome as ones made with cargo ships, but they're always worth it.

Fourth - Where are all your trade routes? Why do you only have 4/5? Why in the world did you make a caravan when all your cities are coastal and cargo ships give double the returns?

Fifth - Some of your cities are very small and disparate in size. This probably means you founded them far apart (in time). If you're only going to make 3-5 cities, you should found them as early as prudent, to give them the maximum time to grow.

Sixth - It's hard to see due to the tooltip, but you don't seem to have many wonders. In an easy difficulty like this, with a populated city, you should easily snap up 75% of the wonders in the game because the compies are derps.

Those are a few things I noted from just the picture.

---

Turn 135 is beastly. I was thinking I could get it down to 150 with another try, but 130 is really low! I'm impressed. Sacred Sites does look like it could be crazy, in combination with Pagoda/Mosque.

16. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

Ok here is two screenshots with wonders and buildings.
    And yes i didn't had petra,someone else managed to build it like 3 turns before,same with Borobudur.Also had fertility rate instead desert folkore.And made second city quite late.But when it comes to great person improvements,i did use them all,i guess i wasn't generating fast enough them.Here is also uploaded map,it is almost perfect only missing thing is mountain for machu pichu,but it have sea,faith mountain,and desert(and also what i noticed it seems natural wonder mountain is not considered as mountain for some reason).I wonder can someone playing on this same map can do it 130 turn.

Attached Files:

17. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Now, my main issue is to find other AI. There are hide in the corner of the map and my scout was killed by barbs. :lol:
    So T180 sacred rites.

18. pvtjava

pvtjava The Grey Cat

This makes no sense to me. You can build an empire focusing on Culture and Tourism and possibly win in the t200+. Or you can focus on Religion and tossing out cities and win under t150. Yes, Brave New World indeed. But I do love this game, and despite all it's faults, it's still my favorite Civ game, and therefore, my favorite game, period, ever. This is a really fun Gauntlet (I had never tried Morocco; Kasbahs pretty cool, combine with Petra for awesome) and I will submit a non Sacred Sites victory and have fun knowing it can't possibly match the turn to finish.

19. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

t143, took the worker in liberty after settler then piety to sacred sites. the worker policy def not needed.

interesting to try just piety first, guess this can get really early sacred sites with oracle

20. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

As I said: Broken

:-(

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

:-(

Maybe sacred sites shoud be outlawed?