G-Minor LXIX

Alright, I'm done. I've tried to crack this thing but my best is my last one at Turn 154 Cult V. This last one was rocking but it took a lot of Turns to overtake Kamehameha, who was on the far side of the continent and cranking CPT suspiciously well. I had to hike a Settler over there, plant it, buy a Caravan, get a trade route going and was about to start religion-bombing his 3 cities when I finally won. I had Mongols, Huns, Spain and Venice also in the world. I highly recommend using Venice because he never gets mad at you planting cities, even if they are right next to his borders.

My two submissions were both non-Desert Folklore too. The last was Tears of the Gods instead, since my cap had 4 Gems. My other was Festivals, with heaps of Incense.

I had to hike a Settler over there, plant it, buy a Caravan, get a trade route going

Gift your own newly planted city is a more effective way to get the traderoute up quickly, and it means you can use a liberty great musician if you get one, without needing to walk it across the map..

Gift your own newly planted city is a more effective way to get the traderoute up quickly, and it means you can use a liberty great musician if you get one, without needing to walk it across the map..

Yeah, I know that trick but I needed another city to keep, for a Mosque & Pagoda, and I had no room left nearby. This "trading post" was my 14th city, IIRC, and I had already been building on resourceless Tundra and Desert, little 1 pop Sillyburgs.

I'm usually in Tradition also, because I most often buy my Settlers instead of building them and I frequently need the Monarchy Happiness. This game would have benefited from Liberty because I had a low-pop, high-production cap and did build several Settlers in my cap.

Does anyone know a good way to keep your save files organized when using Windows 8? I keep screwing up my HoF submissions by jumbling files from different games together because the view confuses me. I don't have this problem when I play on and submit from my desktop, which is still on Windows 7. I think I'm going to have to start renaming the files when I make a save before Peets chases me down and hits me with a stick.

Does anyone know a good way to keep your save files organized when using Windows 8? I keep screwing up my HoF submissions by jumbling files from different games together because the view confuses me. I don't have this problem when I play on and submit from my desktop, which is still on Windows 7. I think I'm going to have to start renaming the files when I make a save before Peets chases me down and hits me with a stick.
Simplest method is setting the "keep autosaves" option to 999 and copy the whole "saves/auto" folder to another location

Yeah, I know that trick but I needed another city to keep, for a Mosque & Pagoda, and I had no room left nearby. This "trading post" was my 14th city, IIRC, and I had already been building on resourceless Tundra and Desert, little 1 pop Sillyburgs.

I'm usually in Tradition also, because I most often buy my Settlers instead of building them and I frequently need the Monarchy Happiness. This game would have benefited from Liberty because I had a low-pop, high-production cap and did build several Settlers in my cap.

:trouble: :nono:

Wow. Was able to get to turn 158. How do you get thru your SP so fast? Did you open tradition? Problem with lots of cities is the SP costs go up so fast.

I don't think sacred sites is broken. It takes a careful balance of ics, faith generation and culture/sp management. It is just a different way to play the game.
Opening tradition just for the culture is a net negative on turns after a few policies. So opening tradition to get to sacred sites will take longer than just straight Piety. As for cities increasing the cost: just because you have a settler built/bought doesn't mean you have to build the city right away. You can have several settlers ready to build, pick sacred sites, then plant the settlers. If you are going for ICS sacred sites, the benefits of early building aren't as strong as normal.
No shrine? temple?
If you get a faith CS or faith ruin and then get desert folklore, a shrine or temple most likely isn't worth the cost.
Oh yes. I doubt you'll take a medal with a 130.
I tried the GM from lib finisher yet it gave me 100 tour. Useless, what am I doing wrong?
Musicians give 8 turns of tourism based on when they were spawned IIRC. So you want to finish liberty when your tourism is highest.

I know I'm a bit late to the party but I'm giving it a go with all warmongers. They hopefully will fight each other and likely not focus much on culture.

Hahahaha, I decided to try this... I got this start and thought to myself, "What a waste of a great Deity start..."

I moved the settler from the other hill, by the way, but honestly where he started would have been fine. gold, oasis, wheat, flood plains, salt... yeah. ;)

Spoiler :

t146. Bleh. I totally shouldn't have put Kamehameha in my game. Also, I had to reload from an autosave and change my actions, so I'm not going to submit. Apparently, if you plant two settlers and gift both to an AI all in one turn, and the AI chooses to immediately raze said cities, the "Choose Something to Build" for your new cities never goes away and your game is screwed. I was trying to boost my tourism by gifting him newly created cities and converting them, thus making my majority the major religion, for the extra tourism boost... it didn't work, he razed them, but I had to undo that action when I reloaded to progress... so yeah. Doesn't matter. I want to do better than t146 anyway!

Argh, I missed the deadline! Ah well, t127 would have tied for 2nd place. /cry

Here's the final screen just for fun:
Spoiler :

By the way, for those wondering, if you simultaneously win a Cultural Victory and a Domination Victory, (IE by leaving one civ with one city that *isn't* their capital) in that case, Domination takes precedence. You can still gift them back their capital to win via Culture which is what I did. I saved before finishing so I could experiment and tried both ways. ;)

Why do you want to stop the other civs from expanding?

The more they expand, the closer they are to you, the easier it is to have trade routes and shared religions.

Because they have larger culture if they have more cities.

Top Bottom