G-Minor LXXXV

Oh god, then I have no idea when I'll be able to submit a game hahaha.

Thanks, and that also means I can't save and continue later correct ?

This one I really want to submit it, I hope on saturday I have the time.

How much do you earn from Tithe at the end of the game ?
I'm not at home, and can't wait tonight to check it. :)

Not 100% what it was at endgame (also not at home), but I remember it being extremely strong midgame. Boru + 1 or 2 naturally spawned GPs + Hagia Sophia before anyone else had a religion. Good for around 50-60 GPT I think? Stopped spreading after that and other religions started so I doubt it went up too much.

Humm, 50-60 a pretty strong. I think about something around Piety and I wonder if Initiation rites is better for first 100 turns to rush buy library, granaries, aqueducts.

Edit :Never mind, stupid idea.

Second try t251 win. Another 6 cities Trad. Not enough rivers, no sea connections, smallish cities, way too much time in production focus. Way too many wonders built. I keep forgetting that this is about getting as much science and money as fast as you can, and just enough culture and faith, with production being secondary. Anyway this was my last try. If there is time I may try to submit a better entry for the GMajor, as I have learned a LOT about science victories.

I have no idea how you guys are getting cities 30+ pop... as far as I've tried my pop stays at ~25... and I can't get even close to your finishing dates...

I tried zillion of times but i just cant get it better then turn 263.I even got some nice terrain like desert with sea,and once where close wonder was fountain of youth,which allowed me to get 6 cities by turn 100 but it was no help anyway.It just dont have any sense :D

I have no idea how you guys are getting cities 30+ pop... as far as I've tried my pop stays at ~25... and I can't get even close to your finishing dates...

Build caravans/cargo ships as soon they are available send food. Hanging gardens in capital. Temple of Artemis and growth/food boost with religion. Ally maritime CS. Set food focus in your cities. Production focus for some key wonders (Petra - Pisa, etc.) then food focus again.

T208 win using Freedom with 6 cities. I'm curious to see if Order can do significantly better. I'm happy with how the game went, but I made a big mistake at the very end that cost me some turns.

Basically, everything was going great until I glanced up at my faith on the third last turn...

...and realized I forgot to use my faith bought GS. I had everything planned out to get just enough money to buy my last SS part immediately after bulbing the final tech, so I had three unused scientists on the last turn. I bulbed them all just for fun to bask in the 35k+ beakers gone to waste. Ouch. I attached a screenshot of my final tech tree so you have an idea.

I'm not sure how much earlier I could have hypothetically finished. I bought all 6 parts so I would have been limited by money. However, I could have used those extra scientists to rush Apollo. If I had built just one part, that means at least 5 turns faster if GPT remains the same. I had two very high production cities (cap and Petra) so I probably could have adjusted my strategy to build two parts without much trouble.

Anyway, it was a fun game. Keeping track of scientists at the end gives me a headache. Not sure how everyone does it. I might replay the last 20-30 turns sometime to see if those faith bought GS or lack thereof could have made a big difference.

--

Bleidraner: yes it does, and I'm 90% sure the long count Great Prophet also counts towards the GS/GE/GM pool. Not sure if that is intentional or not.
How did you managed to be so developed in the turn 80? Wow.

How did you managed to be so developed in the turn 80? Wow.

Maya is OP :)

I used a Great Merchant for my first great person and bought a settler. Salt start. And extremely lucky with CS nearby. 2 religious 2 cultural IIRC that I completed quests for.

So when did you get theology, you already have a great scientist too in turn 80. :confused:

It's really great!

Much like Joe Sham has done recently, I have been looking at old gauntlets I did not enter. The Maya are fun to play, so I gave this one a go.

After looking at fils' great game, it was interesting that it turned out my starting map I played was pretty similar to his with a bit of salt in the capital and some nearby city-states. I did not have so many mountains though and not quite so good spots for expansion.

I think the most effective way to use the Mayan long count great people here is to rush Theology and get to it before the first Long Count date on T62. On Warlord, this is not impossible to do and it maximizes your civ's early growth and Long Count benefit. The atlatlists mean you don't have to sidetrack to archery, which helps with this Theology rush.

My Great Person order: Great Merchant (to purchase settler and get CS influence with a mercantile civ), Great Scientist (to build an academy), Great Prophet (to jumpstart the religious benefits). Great General (to grab key land), then Great Artist, Engineer, Musician (with the only requirement on these later ones being getting the Great Engineer before finishing Replacement Parts so you can rush the Statue of Liberty)

I did not quite match fils' finish as my land and CS mix weren't quite as good for working science, but I was only a few turns behind his win in the end.

My Mayans spread their religion and scientific knowledge around the world, not falling prey to foreign colonizers :).

It is fun to strategize the Mayan long count, get their pyramids going for faith and science jumpstarts, and get those early atlatlists out there exploring and taking out barb camps. I highly recommend giving this a try if you are looking for a good game.

nice one zen, so fils still keeps the gold on this one

put in an attempt a couple of months ago was really a fun game
t160 had 90 pop and 634 beakers with t-3 to modern era - ended up with a 5 city t227 https://imgur.com/gallery/ZwOqVI4 with the slightly different gp order (GM:>GS)
you just mentioned and the extra city (6) I am contemplating some improvement though - Maga also recently subbed a good game in too

looks like we have a new trend revival hahaha

Well, I'm back at it. Finally got Civ6 and was dismayed to learn there's no HoF for that, so I'm getting my fix here.

Managed a t213 victory despite some rust. Nearly panicked when I went to buy a spaceship part and realized it requires aluminum... thankfully Recycling Centers exist and gold wasn't my primary constraint. My endgame bulbs also weren't strong enough to one-turn the final techs... probably should've grown a bit more before transitioning to TPs.

I used a hybrid Trad-Liberty opening, rushing Citizenship and leaving Collective Rule as the last Liberty policy for an endgame great person. I like this opening a lot on lower difficulties, where early Worker steals aren't a thing. Sometimes it's nice to keep your options open for an extra Merchant/Engineer/Writer instead of a Scientist, although in this case the Scientist was the pick.

My map had zero culture city states, so I had to compensate by grabbing both Pagodas + Mosques and building Sistine Chapel earlier than ideal. A bit unfortunate, as policy costs are lower on Warlord, and I think you can do some interesting stuff finishing Commerce on this difficulty -- faith-buying double-gold Merchants is not a bad deal at all. But I didn't have the spare culture to try anything too fancy here.

I'll probably try my hand at some more of the gold-medal-eligible low-difficulty science entries.

Attachments

• PACAL 213.png
    PACAL 213.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 165
nice one zen, so fils still keeps the gold on this one

put in an attempt a couple of months ago was really a fun game
t160 had 90 pop and 634 beakers with t-3 to modern era - ended up with a 5 city t227 https://imgur.com/gallery/ZwOqVI4 with the slightly different gp order (GM:>GS)
you just mentioned and the extra city (6) I am contemplating some improvement though - Maga also recently subbed a good game in too

looks like we have a new trend revival hahaha

Yes, these are fun settings with the Maya in particular, so room for tinkering. That game you had was nice, especially your midgame benchmark!

Well, I'm back at it. Finally got Civ6 and was dismayed to learn there's no HoF for that, so I'm getting my fix here.

Managed a t213 victory despite some rust. Nearly panicked when I went to buy a spaceship part and realized it requires aluminum... thankfully Recycling Centers exist and gold wasn't my primary constraint. My endgame bulbs also weren't strong enough to one-turn the final techs... probably should've grown a bit more before transitioning to TPs.

I used a hybrid Trad-Liberty opening, rushing Citizenship and leaving Collective Rule as the last Liberty policy for an endgame great person. I like this opening a lot on lower difficulties, where early Worker steals aren't a thing. Sometimes it's nice to keep your options open for an extra Merchant/Engineer/Writer instead of a Scientist, although in this case the Scientist was the pick.

My map had zero culture city states, so I had to compensate by grabbing both Pagodas + Mosques and building Sistine Chapel earlier than ideal. A bit unfortunate, as policy costs are lower on Warlord, and I think you can do some interesting stuff finishing Commerce on this difficulty -- faith-buying double-gold Merchants is not a bad deal at all. But I didn't have the spare culture to try anything too fancy here.

I'll probably try my hand at some more of the gold-medal-eligible low-difficulty science entries.

Nice game despite the rust! Almost the same end result as mine; the win I submitted was T212.

The "save Collective Rule for last" is certainly an interesting gambit. I generally have been playing straight Liberty on Warlord and lower these days, saving Representation for last, as that Golden Age sometimes comes in handy late game. However, with the Maya theology rush, I went with Tradition as that really plays well into the Great Library rush. Ignored Liberty, went straight Commerce/Rationalism/Freedom with a late dip into patronage for the extra science (CS only gave me 40 out of my 1750 endgame science. Warlord...) I was able to steal workers not too late from nearby Korea and farther away Netherlands, as well as from a CS and a barb camp, I think, so I was OK without Citizenship or Pyramids. I either hardbuilt workers and bought a couple settlers or maybe bought 1 worker and the 1 settler early. 6 cities all hard built (It is tough to have a decent AI capital near enough and nice enough to capture in a Warlord Highlands game!)
Looking back at my final screen, I think the lack of a mountain in my capital and lack of rivers kept me from matching fils' game. The nearby CSes and a decent amount of salt helped a lot.

Funny that you had a no culture CS game. It would seem counterintuitive, but I think a couple of my best science games actually had zero culture CSes as well. I think the timing if you take the spare straight path through Trad/Liberty, Commerce, Rationalism, Freedom doesn't get screwed up by too much early culture. No "luxury" social policies, but you get the key ones no later. Probably more importantly, the bevy of maritime, religious, and mercantile CSes that come when there are no culture city-states really compensate nicely, Faster growth, happiness to accommodate it, and faith to buy at least 1 more great person than usual. That speeds things up nicely, probably more than earlier rationalism policies depending on the mix and ability to ally.

Also, I've been playing some Chieftain games recently and have been really struck by the gap in AI civ gold production between chieftain and warlord. I guess Chieftain is so easy that the AIs attract gold easily despite any wonky civ management they use. At Warlord though, many or most AI civs can be cash poor throughout the game.

Managed to improve my 2014 result by 26 turns with a T190 victory.

I borrowed Manpanzee's idea and went for fast Citizenship here, then rushed GL and NC before expanding to reach Theology fast enough for a T62 Mayan Great Person. By the time NC was finished, I'd gotten the Collective Rule settler and rush-bought another one. I wish I could buy more than one, but I had to invest into Atlatlists as well to fend off barbs. Took Piety opener after CR, after that I played a standard Liberty-Commerce-Rationalism-Freedom game.

Founded 7 observatory-eligible cities, upgraded my Atlatlists and captured Constantinople for an 8-city empire. My cities didn't have the greatest terrain, so I took food from shrines and temples to compensate a bit. The first GP I picked with the UA was a GS (academy), then I took an engineer to rush Borobudur.

My first WC proposal was World's Fair, but I didn't have to put a single hammer into it, as the map had enough culture CSs and Warlord has lower policy costs. Cultural Heritage Sites would've been better. Not sure if I could do Science Funding here, as I got my guilds up really late in a high-food-low-production expo.

The endgame went really well - no wasted scientists, bulbs were just strong enough to one-turn final techs and I made just enough gold by selling a lot of stuff and demanding tributes.

Attachments

• 20190404151436_1.jpg
    20190404151436_1.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 139
Impressive "stuff" Vadalaz - congrats
those are some really great starts, its getting those observatory cities out for these super fast games, like that great plains plus Babylon 180 game mesix put in a while back and tommynt t190 for that Assyria gauntlet way back..
manpanzee has the t176 spain great plains out there as far as I can see the lowest/fastest game on the boards st/st as map sizes do effect the game
just checked the ad-hoc king to chieftain standard / standard there are some real benchmark sub 200 games
emperor and immortal fall short of the sub 200s and deity well - spain lakes t181 no surprise vadalaz - bravo

2014 :cry: shall be demolished by 2019 :smoke:

Top Bottom