Gaining Science via Osmosis (and changing others civics)

I also go a Civics Osmosis, my second I believe ( I am used to having the better influence)
upload_2021-8-28_19-38-44.png

I really like the osmosis mechanism, if a society ways are dominating , the neighbours are bound to learn its arts and crafts (i-e science) but at the same times leaders are compulsed to comply to this way of life. Seriously a nice change instead of +X% science toward a science discovered somewhere in the world.
If you have a strong influence , you probably tend to be very complacent about your own ass and don't notice your lesser cultured neighbour advancement as much as they notice yours ....at least until they suddenly catch up with you dramatically :) I like that it has a strong immersive component.

Absolutely awesome concept, but currently appears broken. I'm getting Osmosis even when I am WAY in the lead on Tech.

Absolutely awesome concept, but currently appears broken. I'm getting Osmosis even when I am WAY in the lead on Tech.
I have been waiting my life for a concept they have implemented in such a poor way.
Osmosis is a great catch up mechanism against snowballers but in this case seems to be an extra bed of snow to roll on.

I have been waiting my life for a concept they have implemented in such a poor way.
Osmosis is a great catch up mechanism against snowballers but in this case seems to be an extra bed of snow to roll on.
The good news is that the mechanism is good , works very well when it should (dominant civ vs lagging civ) so it should be pretty easy to fix the few cases where it is a snowball mechanism instead of a catchup one.
I'm still happy it is there and quite hopefull that it will soon be perfected.

works very well when it should
it works when you are under the influence. I have seen no evidence of it working when you are not under the influence despite being adjacent and indeed the wiki says under the influence and they are researching something you have not got. It can be abused by beelining then taking someone heavy science city from what I can see. Easily fixed? Well that depends on what and how.

it works when you are under the influence. I have seen no evidence of it working when you are not under the influence despite being adjacent and indeed the wiki says under the influence and they are researching something you have not got. It can be abused by beelining then taking someone heavy science city from what I can see. Easily fixed? Well that depends on what and how.

On the point of this Thread, been reading a lot on the Silk Roads and Influence from Trade recently, and a case can be made that having a busy Trade Route between groups is the fastest way for all kinds of cultural, civic, social policy, technological, religious, and bacteriological 'influences' to spread. China got the spoked wheel chariot technology from the "Northern Barbarians" that they traded with constantly and Buddhism over the Silk Road from India. Europe and the Middle East got the Plague, and primitive gunpowder, cast iron and paper-making technology over the Silk Road from China. China seems to have gotten the matchlock 'arquebus' back from Europe, along with advanced cannon designs. So in addition to the actual 'trade goods' a lot of other things were traveling along with the pack animals.

That makes me wonder if, instead of a generalized "Influence" model, tying Influence and Osmosis of all kinds to Trade Routes more specifically would be a better mechanic. For one thing, that gives the AI and the gamer a little more direct control over what's happening: Don't want to be Influenced, cut off Trade (and take the hit from not having all the goodies from Trade - your choice)

Don't want to be Influenced, cut off Trade (and take the hit from not having all the goodies from Trade - your choice)
Be too violent and the osmosis would also diminish, but not disappear, these traders never stopped a little war from getting in the way of making a penny or two.
Science should have two, maybe three stages, discover, assess and industrialise, with the first phase being given by academics and osmosis. I guess that would be a more in-depth game.

Be too violent and the osmosis would also diminish, but not disappear, these traders never stopped a little war from getting in the way of making a penny or two.
Science should have two, maybe three stages, discover, assess and industrialise, with the first phase being given by academics and osmosis. I guess that would be a more in-depth game.

Depends a lot on how many resources you want to devote to 'stifling trade'. Best example: the Long Wall (Great Wall) was built primarily to keep Chinese peasants In and rigidly control any smuggling/transport/trade of goods back and forth, and may therefore serve as an example of the lengths to which a government could go.

More simply, and related to Humankind's current mechanics, There is a Civic choice called International Trading that could be changed to:
Isolationism: Trade only with Allies, prevents spread of other empires' cultural influence, reduces civic/science osmosis by 50%.
Globalism: Allows trading while at war, increases civic/science osmosis by 33%

And, probably a more complex addition graphically:
New Wonder:
Long Wall - must be built on a tile adjacent to the regional boundary between your own and another Empire's territories. When complete, prevents all osmosis events between the two Empires.

Last edited:
Top Bottom