game 42 spoiler

The
DSN said:
But I thought you were meant to be French?

What is an int. date line?

The international dateline is where the west-east numbering of tiles begins. I didn't know that you could take advantage of it, maybe someone can explain.

SirBois said:
The

The international dateline is where the west-east numbering of tiles begins. I didn't know that you could take advantage of it, maybe someone can explain.

You can have a city on each side of the "line" and both cities can use the same hex for production. For example in Gotm 42 there is a buffalo right next to the line, which follows the row of round lakes where you start, and if you put a city on each side, both cities can use the buffalo for producton even through it is "overlapping". Normally, in that situation, only one city could use the hex, but as long as each city is on opposite sides of the line, both can use the same hex to produce resources. It is a bug that was discovered some time ago.

I was not even going to play this one, but I caved in about 10 days ago figuring early conquest on a small map is a real possibility, even for me!

I did a map analysis and found out that there is a hut and a 4 special location a mere 2 tiles away. I popped the hut and got the best outcome I could hope for: a horseman. Founded karakorum with access to 2 fish, original buffalo, and pheasant in -3850.

Then I went exploring and hut popping with the unsupported horseman. The next 3 huts all gave a single barbarian horseman! Being careful to only pop a hut on the first move, I managed to kill the barbarian every single time but this cost me much mobility as my horse had to rest several turns after each encounter.

I should have stopped at that point, realizing that there is no way I can do a quick conquest anymore; but I did not. In -1250 I had 4 cities, all undefended. A Greek archer showed up next to one of my cities and got 2 techs from me in return for not attacking my city. In -1000 the same thing happened with a Persian elephant. I should have stopped at this point, but I did not.

I switched from building only settlers and built barracks, phalanx, and the Great wall. The Great wall helped a great deal and was in effect till the very end. I never lost a defended city to anyone, including the barbarians. I researched to monotheism and started making crusaders. All this took till year 1.

In year 180 with 7 Crusaders I started attacking the Greeks. They were completely destroyed in 760. Being allied with Persians, and trading with Egyptians; I next went after the Zulu. Their terrain, specailly around Hlobane which was completely surrounded by hills slowed me down a bit. They were gone in 1580.

Next I turned on Egyptians simply because I did not yet have enough forces in the French and Roman areas. Egyptians fell in 1670. By this time, I was rich enough to buy many cities.

Next I turned on all remaining guys. Romans fell in 1754 and Persians in 1758. French took till 1768 simply because of how long it took for my troops to travel there.

I stayed in Monarchy all the time.

not sure how to log but can tell you strategy.played game and turned in on july 3 but have on computer if anyone wants my son to send them the file of game.the key was seafaring.explorers move three squares in all terrian and see two squares wide. got monarchy made beeline to seafaring built explorers sent them in search of huts. found military units and some advanced tribes near enemy plus gold to quick buy units near war fronts after i got the poly tech cut science rate to 30 per cent to raise more money.when i took a city sold any thing they built for more gold.never built city improvments or wonders or even caravans. not even barreks for vets. tried to pick off enemy men of out of citys and earn vet satus that way.took city signed treaty broke it next turn.repution was worst but who cares they are dead

Thank you mangor420 for the explanation of your strategy. Some of us write a log of events as we play. Sometimes these get posted in the spoiler threads. It is fun to read them to see how othes play. Your angle on explorers is very interesting. I should keep that in mind. Great job by the way.

SirBois said:
The international dateline is where the west-east numbering of tiles begins.

But how do you find it? Randomnly trying to use the same hex twice?

DSN said:
But how do you find it? Randomnly trying to use the same hex twice?

Use the menu to switch from move to view. You will see the x,y coordinates of the tile you are currently on. Move the selected tile around as you would move a piece and see the coordinates change. Where x goes from a positive number to zero is the international dateline.

I played this game like a drunken sailor. :blush: Almost happy with Sun Tsu circa 1000 AD, I didn't really use it until after 1750! And at that time the four leading civs were all within two techs of each other...

On the other hand, playing with that level of "competition", it turned out to be a challenge -- 15 turns later, two civs were gone, and another 15-20 turns and the world was purple. :)

So once again, a fun game.

I've been replaying some old GOTM's for practice, and had a lot trouble with this one. After many many tries, I got very lucky with some huts, and managed a 320AD finish. But the arid climate made it hard to grow and get techs at the same time. Like grigor, I didn't get monarchy until about 900bc. Does anyone have any tips about playing on an arid map like this? Maybe huts are the key.

Top Bottom