Game bug or valid trick?

Buck2005

Prince
In continuation of this topic: https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...dditions-civ2uia.623515/page-15#post-16355538

The last pages discuss what I thought was an interesting topic: controversial elements of the game that can be interpreted as both a developer error and an intentional gameplay element. However, the forum section and this thread are dedicated to technical support. Therefore, I would prefer not to clog this thread with further discussion, but to open a new topic. So, while reading the discussion, I remembered a few more situations in the game, which can be interpreted in two ways: both as a mistake and as an acceptable trick. The situations under consideration are possible only in multiplayer (tactical tricks used by experienced players against each other). If you prefer single player - most likely these game situations you have never met and will never meet, since the AI does not use these tricks.

Example 1. In a multiplayer game, it is sometimes possible for one of the players to want to create an insurmountable line of defense against an invading opponent. To create such fortification lines, narrow isthmuses covered with difficult terrain (mountains, hills) with maximum protection indicators are most convenient.

1.jpg

In the drawing, the Roman player has blocked the mountain range with three forts. Forts can have an unlimited number of mechanized infantry. It seems that this defense is impossible to break through. On each defended tile: 1). a sufficient number of units with maximum protection indicators; 2). maximum protection indicators for the landscape; 3). fort, guaranteeing the impossibility of destroying the stack. Let us also assume that the attacking side cannot bypass the given line of defense from the other side (for example, it does not have dominance at sea), and breaking through the line of defense is the only way to invade. As practice shows, there is no problem for an experienced player to break through this line of defense. It is enough to have n+1 attacking units (eg howitzers) to capture one of the key forts. This will require great advance preparations and a developed economy. However, it is quite real.

How to create an absolutely insurmountable defense? It turns out that in CivII it's very simple. It is enough to hang a bomber over each fort with mechanized infantry on the mountain (and, accordingly, change it every turn with a backup from a neighboring city or air base). Now no one will be able to attack the fortified infantry on the mountain. A howitzer, a battleship bomber, and even a nuclear bomb will give you that message:
2.jpg

The only unit that can attack the stack is the fighter. If in the first case there was a completely equivalent exchange of mutual losses (for example, a howitzer for infantry), and the victory of the breakthrough was ensured by a simple formula of n + 1 attacking units against the defenders, then in this case the situation is already clearly absurd. Of course, one can imagine a player producing enough fighters to spend 10+ of each infantry on the stack in a crazy meat grinder to kill. In my opinion, such actions are already beyond realism and more like a game error. What is your opinion: is the bomber hovering over the stack a bug, or a valid trick?

Example 2. Using units that ignore zones of control. The paradox, however, is that even such absolutely insurmountable "Maginot lines" dug in by bombers can be broken through. The most obvious way is to wait for the defending player to make a mistake, and wait until he simply forgets to hang the bomber over the stack again. I remember cases from games when this happened. However, mistakes against a fairly methodical player can never be expected. The second trick is to introduce units into the breach that ignore zones of control (diplomats, spies, caravans, freight). In this case, the attacking player will be able to pass the stacks of forts on the "road paved with spies" and enter the "operational space":
3.jpg

Obviously, this trick will only work in a situation where there is terrain at the breakthrough site that allows you to build a road in one round (a sufficient number of engineers will allow you to do this): steppe, desert, grass. Other types of terrain will cause Engineers to skip the round, and on the next round, the defending player will be able to destroy them. However, the attacking player can also cover the breach tile with the bomber+infantry stack. And if the defending player is not sufficiently supplied with fighters in the breakthrough area, he will be doomed. Also, it is obvious that the trick does not work if there are no gaps in the line of defense, and the line is solid.

Of course, one can give an explanation that caravans and spies in this situation are reconnaissance and sabotage groups of the attacking player. However, in my opinion, the cost of producing spies is disproportionately low in relation to the costs of the defending player (it would be realistic to oblige the attacking side to bear a large cost). In any case, the second trick is more like a poorly thought out game balance than a clear game error. Your opinion?

Well, all I'll say is one of the main things we've changed with lua is forcing fighters to actually attack enemy air units before a better (stats wise) ground unit. As a scenario designer, I'd make a strong argument that the original designers simply messed this one up, but with a game this old (read: they had ages to fix it, as well as 4 subsequent releases, since the behavior is still present in ToT), you can certainly make the argument that it's a "valid trick."

If I understand you correctly, do you consider the bomber effect to be a bug in the game since you fixed it in your scenarios?

For me, for example, this effect is a definite bug. Usually, if it comes to bomber technology in a multiplayer game, players will introduce an additional house rule that prohibits hovering over a land unit. However, if most players agree that this is a clear bug, then we should probably ask to fix it (if technically possible, of course). TNO for TOTPP, FoxAhead for MGE. Also, if I understand correctly, some designers are working on a clone of CivII. If we consider this effect as a bug, then we could ask them to fix this effect at the stage of the game's build.

The purpose of this discussion is just to get a consensus of players and designers on some controversial gameplay elements.

In my opinion, those are both valid tricks, like are the infiniteRR+howitzer.

Issues we see today are simply limits of a game released in 1996, with to keep in mind :
-limited hardwares in households
-limited distribution abilities (in compare with the wide internet era then dematerialized games era which allows few then many bug correction releases thus a more complex code)
-limited global development of ai, which coming with a big modding ability make it even harder to create.

Indeed, some aspects of civ2 are suffering from age.
On this side, some others makes it imho one of the best games ever (its easy modding ability and its incredibly smooth ui per obvious exemples).

Attach files
If I understand you correctly, do you consider the bomber effect to be a bug in the game since you fixed it in your scenarios?

I consider it an undesirable and nonsensical game mechanic that I'd argue is a bug :) Why should a mechanized infantry be first in line to defend against a fighter when there is a bomber (which the fighter was specifically developed in history to contend with) overhead? Now, if the ground unit were a dedicated anti-air ground unit, sure, that makes sense - but there is none in the base game, only in scenarios.

It's just one opinion though :)

Edit - also, in the ToTPP versions where fighters can attack air units first, there's not necessarily a need for a house rule that one can't stack bombers over powerful (ground) defensive units, because it could simply be "air support." One wouldn't want to engage a brigade of U.S. Marines with A-10's allowed to loiter without repercussion overhead, after all. But remove the A-10s and suddenly the attack becomes more viable.

The issue, or "bug" in my mind, is that once a bomber (a weak defensive air unit) is placed over strong defensive ground units, the entire stack becomes more or less impervious, or at best, a great way to destroy the enemy's air force while they throw fighter after fighter against the stack (which could have an infinite number of good ground defenders) before they finally destroy the blocking, weak air unit and the army can move in. I wouldn't have such an issue with it if the army had "air support" that had to be removed by your own fighters first. To me, that's interesting gameplay, and the way I'd design my scenarios, though everyone is of course free to make whatever house rules they choose.

I don't consider air protected stacks or diplomat guiding to be 'bugs.' Both are natural consequences of obviously intended (and sensible in other circumstances) mechanics, and while I can see diplomat guiding being missed during testing, I find it hard to believe that no one tested what happens when air and ground unit stacks are attacked.

I wouldn't necessarily call these 'valid tricks' either, at least in a multiplayer setting. Even if they are 'fair' in the sense that both players can use them, they make the game less fun. Since the original release was a single player game, I could definitely see the developers shrugging their shoulders and not changing the game mechanics. Still, in my opinion, poorly designed game mechanics are not the same as bugs.

As JPetroski mentioned, with TOTPP and Lua, the game can be changed to make air units defend first against fighters.

A fairly simple way to fix the diplomat guiding problem would be to only allow the ZOC override to happen if there is a unit in the tile that has been there since the start of the turn (there is already a flag that records this to determine if the unit should be healed). However, that could raise an issue of attacking with that unit, and being unable to move other units into the tile...

For me, for example, this effect is a definite bug. Usually, if it comes to bomber technology in a multiplayer game, players will introduce an additional house rule that prohibits hovering over a land unit. However, if most players agree that this is a clear bug, then we should probably ask to fix it (if technically possible, of course). TNO for TOTPP, FoxAhead for MGE. Also, if I understand correctly, some designers are working on a clone of CivII. If we consider this effect as a bug, then we could ask them to fix this effect at the stage of the game's build.

The purpose of this discussion is just to get a consensus of players and designers on some controversial gameplay elements.

This thread (especially the first post) explains what ended up being the standard rules for Games of the Month, and, in practice, most other discussion about single player strategy.

Of note is that ship chains, which are obviously a bug, were allowed. I used them when playing, and generally found the base game more enjoyable with them. I suspect a big part of their acceptance was the fact that the base rules have ships move so slowly. I never wanted to use ship chains in custom scenarios.

I think its fairly safe to say that if anyone is going to 'clone' Civ II, it should still be possible to play using the GOTM rules, even if they aren't the 'default' rules.

Still, in my opinion, poorly designed game mechanics are not the same as bugs.
I think there is a very simple criterion by which we can distinguish an obvious bug from everything else. This is a direct speech by the designer of the game, in particular in civilopedia. For example, offhand, known obvious bugs:
1). aircraft carrier and submarine error. The civilopedia states that the carrying capacity of an aircraft carrier is 8 air units, and the carrying capacity of a submarine is 3 missiles (I think I remember correctly). In the original game, these two units have unlimited carrying capacity. If I'm not mistaken, this bug has been fixed in TOTPP.
2). error Cathedral Bach. The civilopedia states that this wonder of the world has a "one continent" limitation. In the original game, the effect of the wonder of the world extends to the entire map. This is probably the only "useful bug" that does not make sense to fix, as it makes this wonder of the world much more valuable.

So, in these examples, you can see that the actual gameplay is different from what was originally stated by the designers. As for the rest of the "bugs" (including the "ship chains" you mentioned and others in your link), we can only speculate what the original intentions of the original designers were. Maybe they deliberately created the bomber effect. Or maybe they just forgot to fix the wrong mechanics. We cannot know this for sure. Therefore, all the examples you listed can be interpreted in two ways: both as a bug, and as a deliberately implemented game mechanic. In these controversial cases, each player can decide for himself whether he likes these game mechanics or not.

I think the ideal (in a "perfect world" of course) solution for ambiguous situations is to make it possible for each player to customize their individual set of rules with as much detail and detail as possible. You implement something similar in your scenarios, as far as I understand. For fans of the original game, a detailed set of settings is much less accessible. I would prefer that some mechanics (bomber, "ship chains" - I also think this is more of a bug, right-clicking on the map to find out the location of enemy cities, and some others) were fixed at the system level. But before asking designers to do this, I would like to understand what other players think so that designers don't have to do extra work for one player's "wants".

Last edited:
In my opinion, those are both valid tricks, like are the infiniteRR+howitzer.
The endless movement on the railroad is not a bug, because if the criterion "this mechanic is described in the civilopedia" is followed, there are no complaints about it. Infinite motion works exactly as intended by the designers.

Personally, I never liked this endless movement. This makes for a very primitive set of tactics in the late game (especially in combination with howitzers). In addition, in the original vanilla graphics, it looks aesthetically unpleasing when the entire map is evenly lined with the same railroad rectangles. The unpopularity of this game mechanic is evidenced by the fact that in all subsequent versions of Civ, designers abandoned the unlimited, and never returned to it. It is very good that TOTPP has made it possible to remove the unlimited.

Top Bottom