game is to well balanced...complaints

La_Musica

Chieftain
which is why the game stinks. I've played civ 2, alpha cint. CTP1 and 2. Lets be honest, civ was always about conquest. that is what actually made it fun, even though we complained about it time to time. This game is actually a little differen't(or a lot) form the civ's of the past and it might of purposely been designed that way. fact of the matter is, I don't like this game much. I just can't get into it. Its extremely boring after the ancient ages and the ambience isn't that good. The music in the modern era is totally off. They should have tangerine dream or something synthy/electronic.

I just can't explain it well enough. There is just something missing. anyone else feel this way? I dont' mean to come off like the game is the worst game ever, but I'm just searching for something to really like about the game and I can't. I've had the game since it came out. anyhow maybe Activision will make a CTP3. This game was far form being revolutionary, not sure if it was intended to be. Multiplayer is terrible. But this game is truely a 1 player game anyways...

graphics are lame. still way outdated. I liked civ3's graphics more(nice 2D engine).

its like, everytime I start a game up, I just don't feel like I NEED to take another turn. oh'well maybe an expansion pack will bring more life tot he game for me. I love civ games, but sadly, I've been let down. I've finally realized it and admitted it.

thanks for reading.

(excuse all typos)

Also, I now relaize that having 50 units was pretty awesome. it was cool to know you had 30more units in your army and that you could take on who ever you wanted to. having 5-10 units now is plain boring and it adds no excitment to the combat side of things. promotions is a cool idea, but I liked the old way more. it was more grand, massive, and more kick ass with 50 thousand units.

La_Musica said:
Also, I now relaize that having 50 units was pretty awesome. it was cool to know you had 30more units in your army and that you could take on who ever you wanted to. having 5-10 units now is plain boring and it adds no excitment to the combat side of things. promotions is a cool idea, but I liked the old way more. it was more grand, massive, and more kick ass with 50 thousand units.

In my last two games alone I had attacking armies of over 50 units, and those weren't even prime examples of domination games or anything... :crazyeye:

La_Musica said:
Lets be honest, civ was always about conquest.

That's your opinion, there's lots of people who play a builder type strategy. That's why there's more than 1 victory condition. Civ 4 just makes other approaches a more viable option.

Willem said:
That's your opinion, there's lots of people who play a builder type strategy. That's why there's more than 1 victory condition. Civ 4 just makes other approaches a more viable option.

Personally I think they moved Civ IV a bit more towards AC, and that indeed means Conquest has become a bit different. Not sure if it is better or worse myself (need to play cIV to death before I can answer that), but certainly different, so La_Musica has a point. He liked the old way better, as do others.

Rane Khan said:
He liked the old way better, as do others.

And builder types like me prefer it the way it is now, it puts that approach on a more even level to Conquest. Before, if you went the Warmonger route, you were pretty much guarenteed to win. Now there's the possibilty you might screw yourself up royally by doing so. All strategies now have equal chances of winning the game.

Conquest is very much alive, in fact at higher ai levels you almost have to conquest the whole game to win, even on my last prince game I lost a space race to kublai khan because I'd conquered 2 civs and rather than taking out the 3rd big contender I thought it would be ok to let them go and build. If I'd have prepared and launched a industrial/modern age attack on him I'd have surely won.

I also run 20-30 unit stacks all the time, don't know why you wouldn't :).

I think fewer units are better. It was soooo annoying back in civ3 when you had to spend 10 minutes attacking 50 enemy units with 50 of your units, and then tell 100 workers to do various tasks, because if you automated them, they'd build all the wrong improvements everywhere. (Ok, they still do that in civ4, but you know what I mean.)

Good point from the OP. He enjoyed the warmonger aspect, and the build massive stacks of one unit and roll over the AI. I found that to be boring. Different style of play.

CivIV can be quite an exciting warmonger game, or as me, as builder who uses war to expand. Combat is different, and the learning curve is steap, but as I learn what promitions, and units work best in each citiuation, war is fun. Now with the limited movement, I have to maintain an army on all sides of my emprior, instead of one massive stack that could in one turn move across my empiror.

Spend some time learning the new combat, and the strategy that goes into planning your attacks, and I think you will find CivIV growing on you.

For music, the game provides a means for you to insert your own music. Thus, you can feel free to replace the modern music with your favorite techno-synth mix.

For graphics, I can understand where you're coming from if you're playing vanilla Civ IV. If such is the case, I strongly recommend installing the Blue Marble terrain graphics mod--it's done for Civ IV what Snoopy did for Civ III.

I hope those tips help some, as I personally enjoy Civ IV more than any other entry in the series to date, and would hate to see someone give up on the game if it's just a couple of fixable things that are causing it.

EDIT: Yup, in my classic fashion I have taken so long typing up a post, scrapping it and retyping it, and then looking it over for errors that by the time I actually posted it, seven other posts had been made in the meantime.

i am usally a warmonger and i like the way civ IV combat works for the most part. i think the promotions are great and it really makes you use combined unit forces. in civ III it was always armies of knights or cav or tanks that you would just use to roll over the other guys. i have had to change the way i do it for civ IV, im not starting wars as early as it takes longer to build up your civ. when i do gear up for war though i have 25-30 if not more units going in. i do agree that the music sucks. i have never figured out how to change it so i turn it off and play my own lol.

I've always thought that the CIv games put too much emphasis on warfare. For me, the series has only gotten better as other strategies have slowly become more viable. I sort of role-play my games, and unless I'm playing someone like Alexander the Great, I always felt guilty about fighting wars, whereas I get great satisfaction out of the technology and infrastructure side.

i dont get this? you upset because a game IS balanced? so, because differnt styles of play are balanced with your own, this ruins a game..what the..?

IMHO the CTP games were the worst disservice done to the Civ franchise, and I know I am not alone.

Civ4 is an awesome game, I have definately enjoyed most every aspect of it, although I agree that the graphics engine needs help. Previous to this release, I felt Alpha Centauri was one of the better Civ games, so maybe that has colored my perception a bit.

As far as the music is concerned, who listens to in-game music anyway? I tried to get Civ4 to use my MP3s, but no luck, I just crank up the stereo if I want to hear "Ride of the Valkyries" as my Gunships are flying into combat. On a related note, though, one of the later musical themes in the game (Industrial, or Modern age, not sure which) has a part in it that sounds alot like the theme to M*A*S*H. This bugged the hell out of me one night when I could have sworn someone was in the next room watching M*A*S*H reruns, but it was just the Civ4 soundtrack, or maybe my lack of sleep brought on by playing Civ4 incessantly.

lord_graywolfe said:
i am usally a warmonger and i like the way civ IV combat works for the most part. i think the promotions are great and it really makes you use combined unit forces. in civ III it was always armies of knights or cav or tanks that you would just use to roll over the other guys. i have had to change the way i do it for civ IV, im not starting wars as early as it takes longer to build up your civ. when i do gear up for war though i have 25-30 if not more units going in.

Biggest change for me was my second or third game. I took Bismark (for the Panzers, of course) and late game went after Asoka with the 'old reliable' Armour rush. Guess what I discovered the hard way? Massed GunShips rape your Blitzkrieg tanks. :eek:

And me without a 'Marine' in sight to deal with the choppers. :cry:

Combined arms is CRITICAL for military success in the game (IMO).

I had a similar experience in my last game.

Playing as Frederick (my favorite), i had lots of invasions in my country, but i used my Panzers to show them. Then suddenly Washington decides to attack me, from the other side of my empire. Fair enough, i thought, i'll just send my panzers there (I had a lot of them), to kill off his tanks. I didn't expect all those gunships! Luckily I was only a 15-20 turns away from Space Ship victory, and the part-builing city was in the "safe side" of my empire, cause my west front was totally raped by Washington.

No more neglecting foot soldiers and gunships.

Part of me understands where you are comming from Music. In the previous games I would just work to get the madern armor then out produce everyone and start rolling over the compitition and I can't say that ever got boring. Now with civ 4 things have changed and I love it. I love the need for a well balanced attack no longer can tanks alone win a war it has to be a well thought out effort with a series of different style attacks. To me the changes in the game have made it far superior to any of the ones prior. I like the fact that I really have to pay attention to build a big empirer worrying about my economy and making sure I don't fall behind in the tech race all while trying to expand my culture and keep my military strong. I don't think I can go back and play any of the old ones now that I have this. Although the graphics aren't where so many other games are I gotta say I never played this game for the graphics.... I do enjoy the new look and feel of the enviroment and considering where it was before it seems to me like a pretty big leap forward. I just wish I had the graphics card to support the full deal.

La_Musica said:
which is why the game stinks. I've played civ 2, alpha cint. CTP1 and 2. Lets be honest, civ was always about conquest. that is what actually made it fun, even though we complained about it time to time. This game is actually a little differen't(or a lot) form the civ's of the past and it might of purposely been designed that way. fact of the matter is, I don't like this game much. I just can't get into it. Its extremely boring after the ancient ages and the ambience isn't that good. The music in the modern era is totally off. They should have tangerine dream or something synthy/electronic.

I just can't explain it well enough. There is just something missing. anyone else feel this way? I dont' mean to come off like the game is the worst game ever, but I'm just searching for something to really like about the game and I can't. I've had the game since it came out. anyhow maybe Activision will make a CTP3. This game was far form being revolutionary, not sure if it was intended to be. Multiplayer is terrible. But this game is truely a 1 player game anyways...

graphics are lame. still way outdated. I liked civ3's graphics more(nice 2D engine).

its like, everytime I start a game up, I just don't feel like I NEED to take another turn. oh'well maybe an expansion pack will bring more life tot he game for me. I love civ games, but sadly, I've been let down. I've finally realized it and admitted it.

thanks for reading.

(excuse all typos)

EXACTLY the way I felt about CIV3!!! i hated it's moder era music, but I like this one. It was quite a struggle for me to play civ3, I just wanted to stop it every turn, and played 4-5 turns, then quit. CIV 4 is much more addictive and enjoyable for me.

Top Bottom