[NFP] Game Mode Speculation

What about events. GP's are fun in civ6 because most of them are unique, or say city states, again they are fun because they are unique. Also, civ6 is graphically better for terrain manipulation then its predecessors. I think it might be very fun to see random or triggered events happen at some games, and i would love to see one of these modes include events.

Who doesn't like tragic mining accidents anyway..

So, the two game modes we know so far are thematically tied to the civs included in the pack...

Pack 1:
Maya & Gran Colombia
Apocalypse

Pack 2:
Ethiopia
Secret Societies

I imagine they'll do a mix of brand new mechanics and familiar ones from previous games. Factoring in the most likely civs to appear...

Babylonia (Mainstay)
Byzantium (Mainstay)
Italy (Fan Fav)
Portugal (Mainstay)
Vietnam (Fan Fav)

... one possible breakdown could be, going by some of the other suggestions on this thread, as so:

Pack 3:
Byzantium & Italy
Crusades

Pack 4:
Babylonia
Prehistoric Era

Pack 5:
Vietnam & JFK
Cold War and Ideologies

Pack 6:
Portugal
Colonies or Corporations

What about events. GP's are fun in civ6 because most of them are unique, or say city states, again they are fun because they are unique. Also, civ6 is graphically better for terrain manipulation then its predecessors. I think it might be very fun to see random or triggered events happen at some games, and i would love to see one of these modes include events.

Who doesn't like tragic mining accidents anyway..

Yeah! I loved the random events in cIV. As long as they are optional, of course, as some wouldn't like them. :)

This seems pretty reasonable to me; I'm not convinced on JFK as the extra leader though, especially with the alternate Teddy America are already getting, and I kind of hope Vietnam doesn't have a Vietnam War slant to it when the country's history is so much more than that.

I have now managed to more or less completely convince myself that Italy will be added (though bracing for inevitable disappointment :lol: ) but I am beginning to suspect that they will go with the Risorgimento/19th-century leader, in the interests of making it easier to provide a coherent, unified Italy rather than a blob made up of the various Renaissance states minus the Papal States (which are already covered by Bologna and now Vatican City). It would also fit nicely with a 'Risorgimento' UA/ULA that involves taking over city-states, or Free Cities. What if Italy could use loyalty to flip city-states to Free Cities and then peacefully take them over? Would reflect the revolutionary activity that led up to reunification.

I'm kind of hoping this isn't the case as I really would prefer a Renaissance Italy, but somehow I feel this incarnation would be more likely, especially since we don't really have any Civs that interact with City-States in a Venice/Austria type way yet in Civ VI (though it's possible Gran Colombia and Bolivar could also play with this - I guess we'll know more soon). At least keeping my fingers crossed for a culture/tourism focus of some kind - although they have to be careful not to tread on Eleanor's toes and tie that to loyalty.

I’d be pretty happy with a Colonies / Vassals focused pack with Italy and Portugal. That would be pretty sweet.

Vietnam / Ideologies could work. I don’t think that would mean Vietnam would need to have any particular Cold War focus. I think Maya may have been picked for Apocalypse DLC because of “end of the world” associations, but there’s no actual mechanical connection.

Still hoping to get corporations into the game.:yup:

Agreed. Although I wouldn't be put off too much if Secret Societies ends up filling that role.

I’d be disappointed if we don’t get something around companies. I don’t really want to see the return of eg Sid’s Sushi Company. But I would like some way to found my own Dutch East India Company and or have some more complexity around Banks and Stock Exchanges. Although, equally, given Rock Bands and Soothsayers, I’m not entirely confident FXS could resist introducing Corporations without a lot of silliness.

I really don’t know what to expect from secret societies. I suspect it might end up something pretty silly or outre, and so really just something you play for a laugh or as a break from “normal” games. But I think it’s possible it could be something more cool, particularly of ties into loyalty and rebellions more. I mean, we’ve discussed that the mode could expand religion or spies, but it might combine both mechanics which could be very cool indeed.

Earlier is this thread I wrote that I want ‘modes’ to represent actual and impactful new features.

What do you guys think is more likely?
‘Modes’ adding relevant new game mechanics, because they can be switched off, if not liked and Firaxis therefore can make them really “powerful”?
Or ‘Modes’ just adding insignificant yet fun variants to existing mechanics, because they ... well, can be switched off and therefore can’t be relayed on to be active in a game, which makes basing meaningful mechanics interactions on them almost impossible?

So, basically:
‘Modes’: Game changer or fluff?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised to see a Disease and Pandemic Mode at some point.
It should be, look at the world now...

Moderator Action: Edited your post to make it more appropriate. Please remember we have an international audience. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
So this confirms that it is the forest fires and the meteor showers that are being added to the base game. Also it looks like the 'appease the gods' scored competition we saw in the Maya video is from the apocalypse mode rather than a base game addition.

I'm now super curious what exactly we are going to see in the first patch.

I'm also super curious what this means

'The world enters an apocalyptic state when climate change reaches its maximum level.'

Does that mean it's possible to be defeated by this? The game literally ends, or does it mean that natural disasters at this point are just crazy insane

Sacrifice units to volcanoes! :lol:

So it's basically 'Natural Disasters and Climate Change, but Extra'. Too soon to say for sure, but if this is an indication of what to expect from the other Game Modes, they'll probably be things that sit within existing systems in the game rather than add entire new systems.

For the disease/pandemic mode many people are expecting, I think we're unlikely to get a full health/disease system but probably more like occasional events that could occur, with units/buildings that can limit its effects (as well as possibly an option to use it as some kind of biological warfare). So almost like a special, extra disaster that sits alongside the GS disasters mechanic.

So, these ‘Soothsayers’ in the ‘Apocalypse mode’.

Well, all the era overarching units have two skins representing them in pre-modern and modern look: The traders have the truck, settlers the caravan.

Will soothsayers still push their wooden obscenity when jets fly over their heads?
Or will there be a more adequate skin ...
... for example in form of conspiracy theorists, wearing aluminum hats? :D

For the disease/pandemic mode many people are expecting, I think we're unlikely to get a full health/disease system but probably more like occasional events that could occur, with units/buildings that can limit its effects (as well as possibly an option to use it as some kind of biological warfare). So almost like a special, extra disaster that sits alongside the GS disasters mechanic.

I still say the lack of diseases and plagues in the base game and only in a scenario is just utter stupidity. I mean, it would have been perfect: in each city which population is over its housing, there is a chance that a "plague" occur that can transmit to other cities, even if they have a lot of housing. Access to fresh water or aqueduct could play a role in it too. But it would punish tall gameplay and, sincerey, we don't need to punish that. But it would be fun ! And historically adequate !

I'd say modern soothsayer, being able to actually make disasters happen, would be more like members of secret societies rather than silly conspirationnists.
Consipirationnists in aluminium hats often want to prevent the disaster by warning everybody, they don't want to make the disaster happen.
On the other hand, some priests with esoterical symbols ala Illuminati or Freemasons... that could work. Soothsayers as businessmen too :D

Apocalypse Game Mode [Gathering Storm]
  • New Unit – Soothsayer
    • Can call upon the God of Destruction to cause a Natural Disaster. Doing this requires a Unit Charge. Once all charges have been used, the unit is removed.
    • Unit starts with 1 charge, but additional charges can be gained through their promotion tree.
  • New Scored Competition – “Appease the Gods”
    • Players can use Soothsayers to sacrifice units to a volcano to gain points.
    • Soothsayers gain a new action: Appease - Target a friendly unit adjacent to a volcano and sacrifice them to gain score equal to their production cost.
    • Rewards include a free Soothsayer, Soothsayer promotions, and additional Faith per turn.
  • New Game Ending Final Climate Stage – The Apocalypse
    • The world enters the Apocalypse upon hitting the final temperature increase.
    • Disasters are more powerful, frequent, and capable of destroying entire Civilizations over several turns.
  • New Disasters
    • Comet Impact: Smashes into land tiles destroying improvements, units, districts, or even cities in the impact zone. Impacted tiles are replaced with an impassable Comet Lake.
    • Solar Flares: Affects the entire map. Pillages power-generating districts/buildings/improvements (except the Dam). Damages advanced units (GDRs especially).

So, these ‘Soothsayers’ in the ‘Apocalypse mode’.

Well, all the era overarching units have two skins representing them in pre-modern and modern look: The traders have the truck, settlers the caravan.

Will soothsayers still push their wooden obscenity when jets fly over their heads?
Civfanatics' patron unit :lol:

I still say the lack of diseases and plagues in the base game and only in a scenario is just utter stupidity. I mean, it would have been perfect: in each city which population is over its housing, there is a chance that a "plague" occur that can transmit to other cities, even if they have a lot of housing. Access to fresh water or aqueduct could play a role in it too. But it would punish tall gameplay and, sincerey, we don't need to punish that. But it would be fun ! And historically adequate !
All of which sounds like it's a great candidate for a bolt-on optional extra Game Mode. Those who don't like the idea (or find it a little too close to home with the present situation) can play with it disabled, whereas those who do want it can apply it to their usual games as they like. I'd be really surprised if they didn't take advantage of the Game Mode system to add something like this when it's been a very popular fan request.

Top Bottom