1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Game Mode Speculation

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Casworon, May 11, 2020.

1. The googles do nothing

The googles do nothing Prince

My best guess is there will be a modes based around making the game as difficult as possible. Removing AI trading, when you friend the AI it kills you city states, any cheese they can think of. If they put a lifetime mechanic on units and increase maintenance after promotions it would make warmongering harder.

Drifting continents: Start a Pangea then the land splits into continents, then splits into islands?

Atlantis Mode: Your island starts with a volcano and you must get off before it explodes and sinks the whole island.

Voice of the people mode: Like city state quests but you start to loose loyalty the longer you don't complete it.

Alien invasion? Dragon attack?

Casworon, Hawke9 and acluewithout like this.
  2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

I really hope so. That and or something focused around empire management - eg bring back something like global happiness or corruption.

I think Modes bodes well for more trade / corporation mechanics and an economic victory.

Hawke9 likes this.
  3. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Two mechanics I hate, but at least they'd be optional. :)

4. Haig

Haig Deity

The Maya+Gran Colombia pack brings some new disasters to base game, and some only for when you use Apocalypse Mode.

So I guess there could be, for example, a DLC with some new loyalty stuff, but also a Mode that could cause empire wide civil war.

There are players who hate randomness, but also players who would like more severe stuff shaking the game, so these modules are a good way to turn them on/off.

Bonci and acluewithout like this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I imagine the Forest Fire and maybe Solar Storm could be in a patch to Gathering Storm.

But I doubt that's the case for Comets and Meteors.

6. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I'm not sure that the game modes are necessarily meant to pair with the Civs that get added in the same DLC packs. What do secret societies have to do with Ethiopia?

That being said, I do think both Byzantium and some kind of plague/disease game mode are incredibly likely. I've suggested elsewhere that the latter might come in with DLC 5, as this is when we're getting the other new District and buildings and it makes sense for them to be disease/health-related.

acluewithout likes this.
  7. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Don't forget game mechanics/systems could also be reworked/tweaked via free patch as Religion was for example.

Casworon likes this.
  8. Casworon

Casworon Prince

Yes. I know i personally forgot how in-depth the free patches where after GS release. Reworking pantheons, the whole production economy, coastal cities and great admirals.

At the moment we still don't really know what too expect in terms of how in-depth the game modes are and how in-depth the free patches will be. I think we will have a better idea after the first DLC and the free patch the next month.

I was hit pretty hard by the no DLL. But i'm building up some hope again. I think Firaxis was really smart with how they dealt with the communities balance complaints in those free patches, thinking they did a much better job than the ideas i came up with. so i am looking forward to what idea's they have.

9. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

PACK 6 Saami or Inuit Civilizations alongside with Ice Age game mode.
    PACK 5 Alt Dutch leader and Portugal or Venice alongside with Corporations game mode
    PACK 4 Italy alongside with Pandemic game mode
    PACK 3 Vietnam and Babylon alongside with Alien Invasion game mode

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  10. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Since Secret Societies is coming with Ethiopia, I hope some of it is religious based.
    If you haven't founded a religion and are converted, you can form your own an maybe eventually turn it into a full reformed religion.

Flaxitux, Zaarin, j51 and 1 other person like this.
  11. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Game plays as normal until Industrial age where you transition into Smokey Skies steampunk madness...

Yeah I know I wont get my hopes up.

12. Socrates-

Socrates- Chieftain

This sounds cool! Reforming an existing religion in case you didn't get to found your own and thereby giving you another chance to win a religious victory...

However, it could also have something to do with the likes of freemasons...

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Or Knights Templar

Socrates- likes this.
  14. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

I don't have any speculation to offer, just wanted to say that I love how these will be optional add-ons for the base game. I have no problem with the devs making scenarios because I understand that other people enjoy them even if I personally never touch them. Speaking only for myself, I'm thrilled to have options to tweak the base game and making them optional means you have the choice to use or not use and make the base game just the way you want it. Great idea.

Haig and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  15. Txomin

Txomin Warlord

Going with Secret Societies possibly having religious connection, maybe the Assassins would be one of those. It'd be cool if there were different ones tied to different religions even if it'd just be a name thing.
    Maybe Daoism could have Yellow Turbans.

Zaarin likes this.
  16. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

My only hope is these new modes make the game more challenging/AIs more threatening.
    Probably a pipe dream though.. previously added content just gives more leverage to the player.

Kibikus likes this.
  17. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

I posted a similar idea in the thread "Other new features you want in New Frontier":

My hope for the new game modes is that we'll finally be able to mix and match any leader with any civilization. Maybe call the mode "Great Man Theory"

Another slightly similar mode I've wanted to see for some time would be one that fuses two or three civilizations together. The new civilization would have access to all of the Unique Abilities, Districts, Improvements, and Units. They'd be able to select any leader from among the civilizations that were fused. The idea would specifically be to have unbalance civilizations, creating a more random and chaotic mode than usual (and limited of course to single-player only). The mode would be called "Bold Fusion" and include combination like the following:

The Caliphate (Arabia & the Ottomans)
    Great Britain (England & Scotland)
    The Mediterranean (Greece, Macedonia, & Rome)
    Mesoamerica (The Aztec, Inca, & Mayans)
    Mesopotamia (Persia & Sumeria)
    The New Kingdom (Egypt & Nubia)
    The Orient (China, Japan, & Korea)
    Scandinavia (the Norse & Sweden)
    South America (Brazil & Gran Columbia)
    The Steppe (the Mongols and Scythia)
    Sub-Sahara (Ethiopia, Kongo, & the Zulu)

Thormodr, Casworon and Haig like this.
  18. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Fun idea, but these wouldn't be balanced at all heheh. "The Orient" could do it all (culture, faith, science) while someone like "The Steppe" is still pretty much a one trick pony. "Scandinavia" strikes me as two civs that contradict each other's strengths - Sweden wants diplomatic favor, while Norways wants to pillage and make everyone hate them.

A "North America" made up of America, Canada, and the Cree would be pretty synergistic though.

19. Arent11

Arent11 King

Maybe call it a "Civilization" and have several nations for each civ.

20. Alucard648

Alucard648 Chieftain

Fully randomized tech and civic trees every game. I have seen a mod that does that.

Arent11 likes this.