Gathering Storm: Failure or Success?

How's the AI? Weak AI was by far Civ6's greatest weakness imo and made me drop the game and skip R&F entirely. But if it's (much) better in GS, I might just back into the game.

Agreed, in our MP matches, we often saved our envoys for Hungary in case he got a bit feisty so he ultimately had to invest all his envoys in one area to keep it for war.

I think it’s a strong ability, but it’s situational

One major drawback to the power is when you upgrade into units with resource requirements. If you cannot provide, everything is hit with a -20 strength penalty. I learned that the hard way when I upgraded 6 bombards into artillery.

I find GS is a great addition overall, but, as others have said, some things came up short. Balance is obviously an issue, but I haven't seen much discussion here on climate change, which is just riddled with problems. The temperature raises way too quickly, as do the stages. Additionally, the overall effect seems too minimal. A rise in 3 degrees Celsius, and minimal flooding (it seems not enough tiles can flood, even at the highest stage). Snow tiles don't melt, and other terrains don't change either (like plains becoming desert due to drought). The droughts we get are laughable, as they have no long-term impact. No heat waves. Climate change escalates too quickly, but hardly affects anything.

Furthermore, there is little in terms of reversing climate change. All I saw was carbon capture (after getting a science victory, after climate change maxed out), and that has little effect and comes much too late (not to mention it should be in the tech tree, not the civic tree).

Speaking of the tech and civic trees, I really hate the randomness. Makes it hard to plan, for example, for reverting climate change.

I like it, I think it is a success. I really like the new resource system, I think Natural Disasters are a great addition to the game (i've Disaster Intensity at 4) and I like the new leaders. I think it improve Civ VI for sure.

I just wish the AI was better though. (or if Firaxis released the DLL source)

Top Bottom