Ghost tribe bug

Bultro

Chieftain
I just played a nostalgic game of the first DOS version (475.01) but i couldn't finish it, even if i conquered the world: the intelligence advisor shows one remaining enemy tribe... but it just doesn't exist. It respawned when i destroyed that colour a long time ago, but it never showed up on the map. I thought it might be a stuck settler, but i searched all the map, even with cheats, they're nowhere. I never encountered this bug before in 30 years!

This is often the case if a civ was destroyed before they built their first city (destroyed their settlers unit).

Sad times!

This is often the case if a civ was destroyed before they built their first city (destroyed their settlers unit).

Sad times!
Yes that must be the case. I don't remember well, but I think I killed a settler right after killing the city. I thought it was the same tribe, but it was the respawned one; it respawned so close to the old one that I didn't notice the difference.

In JCivEd there's what you would expect: an active tribe with no cities and no units. Their visible map only shows the small area where the settler spawned and died.

These days, the best we can do is use modern tools to work around the limitations of the game. If it were me, I'd use JCivEd to stick a defenceless size 1 city down on the square where the settler was defeated and capture it immediately, hopefully that will give you your deserved victory!

Top Bottom