GOTM-1: Closing Spoiler

Grogs said:
I'm curious why you were building the last few parts in series rather than in parallel. Was it because you were literally building the parts faster than you could research the techs for the next one? I'd be curious what your research order was for the modern age techs. While I wasn't completely parallel, I probably had 2-3 of the latest parts (after thrusters/casings) going at any given time.

In my first run I still had to fusion and ecology. So I was building one part (8turns) while researching for the next (5 turns) Only then I could start that and research the next. In my second time round I missed satellites, so I had to build 3 thrusters at the end which took upto 7 turns.

For uber space race you need loads of research and some very good productions cities (3?).

Well, I'm still learning the ropes in cIV so I'm pretty pleased wit my SpaceRace in 1974 - scored 11105, which is the 2nd best in my HOF (after a small domination).

Clearly, I have a lot to learn - I'm certain I don't sequence my buildings or tech's that well.

As was done by several other players, I conquered the greeks early, and then remained on my continent, after I realized I had sucha huge tech lead. By the time I launched, I don't think anyone else had even 1 tech required for space.

I ended up building 11 cities, capturing all the greeek ones I could, and got a barbarian one as well. I think I had 20+ cities, and for the last period of the game, I was able to research @ 100% and turn a profit.....

All in all an enjoyable game, but much to learn if i want to step up to the next level.

BTW - I hope we get a 4OTM approved logger soon - I am rubbish at keeping good turn logs :(

Domination 1910
Score 25000+~
I took out Alexander, Montezuma, Isabella, and Saladin in that order. I was seriously lax in my conquests, partially because of war weariness ruining my cities during the Aztec war. If I had known it was by individual war, I might have been a bit more aggressive. I was teched up to tanks by the end of the game, but never used them, nor riflemen for that matter. Oh, and spies are worthless; I finally build Scotland Yard and send a pair over, and they can't even destroy buildings.

I won a domination victory in 1937 with a final score of 25,355.

I putzed around with some civic/economy related techs late game and delayed my military tech development. Dependent mostly on ground troups, my military was powerful, but slow. I also didn't beeline for astronomy quite as fast as I should have. All around though, I feel pretty good about it, since I just started playing CIV last summer. This was my first GOTM.

Here's a link to my initial spoiler

Polished the Greeks off pre 1000AD, and met Bismark and Monte on the same turn about twenty turns later.

At this point, I should have decided what victory to go for, but I really wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Monte and Bismark were too far along for me to invade with Praet's, so I hedged my bets and decided Space, Diplo, or Culture would be the victory choices. I was stupid and traded a tech to Bis (who was pleased) right a way along with Open Borders, which immediately ticked Monte off. I should learn to wait to get the lay of the land before doing any trading.

The next turn I met Isabella who was instantly annoyed with a -4 religious modifier. I sent my first Caravel south along the new continent, and my second caravel which came online shortly thereafter headed along the north coast. The third Caravel sailed west in the hopes of circumnavigating.

During this time I was focussed on infrastructure, and managed to found Islam in a city I'd only founded one turn earlier. I thought with two Religions (Hinduism and Islam) a culture victory would be a possibility. In hindsight, I should have gone for a space race... it would have been quicker and a little less nerve racking.

I got monastaries and temples in every city I could, gradually spreading Islam across the continent. I also sent a Hindu Missionary on a Caravel over to German lands and spread to the closest city. Bismark was friendly with me, and both he and Izzy were Jewish (though she'd founded Buddhism and Christianity as well) Monte was Buddhist as was Saladin, who I discovered shortly thereafter. It looked as though the big continent was firmly in two camps, neither of which were overly friendly with me (save Bis).

I held off on getting Astronomy to preserve the Colossus bonus, which was likely a bad idea. I should have just bit the bullet, but I was still wary of having had to disband some units to avoid going into debt. I also delayed filling in the rest of my land with cities, which would eventually cause some minor irritation.

I was ahead in tech slightly, but still hadn't found the last Civ, who turned out to be Mao. In the end, even with 3 caravels out exploring (once I circumnavigated) he ended up finding me. Mao wasn't any further ahead of the other continent, so I was fairly confident of my tech lead.

The next several centuries were quiet, with me waffling on what victory I wanted to go for. If I'd made a firm decision after I defeated the Greeks, I would have done much better. At one point I was close to 5 techs ahead, but I hedged my bets and reduced my science to 60% and pumped my culture to 30% so I could go either way. I even saved an Engineer for the UN should I need it.

I soon noticed that I'd pulled a stupid at some point and had about 5 of my cities on avoid growth. That irritated me to no end, and likely would have meant I would have handily gotten a UN victory.

China also founded two cities on the SW coast of my continent, one of which was very near a second oil resource.

I'd also spread Hinduism through Germany, China and made strong in-roads into Spain, though Monte and Sal wouldn't open their borders to me. I got Mao to convert a couple of times (for gifts of cash) but he always switched back at the first opportunity.

Right around the time I built the UN, I realized that Bismark was going to be my rival. Naturally, the only person on the other continent I had even semi decent relations with, and I couldn't count on his vote. I went to Free Religion to see if that would warm things up between me and Sal, and I was finally able to get open borders. Of course, he was Theocracy, so no chance of spreading Hinduism farther.

Bismark won the first SG vote, having had Izzy and Saladin vote for him for a combined total of 322 votes. My 208 and Mao's 108 went to me, and Monte's 50 abstained. I lost by 6 votes, but I knew that meant that Bismark wasn't going to win a Diplo victory. Of course, it meant I wasn't going to either. He realized this and promptly stomped Monte into the ground with Izzy and Mao's help.

I cranked Culture to 100% and switched all non big 3 cities to research if possible, jumping out only to build the occasional wonder. This allowed me to stay in the tech pack at least. I also had Sparta building Machine Gunners every other turn in the hope that having a big army would keep the others off my continent. I still had Praet's and Archers in most of my cities at this point.

Unfortunately, my third Big 3 city was woefully behind in culture, and I never managed to generate a Great Artist. I'd optimized a couple of cities to do so, but I always ended up popping something else (usually a merchant). One Merchant made the overseas trek to Madrid, earning 2500 gold, which was used to upgrade my archers to rifles. I've learned to keep a close eye on the avg. Military size rating, and I try to at least stay close to it.

Despite numerous close votes, I didn't win the UN SG until the last 10 turns or so. I'd founded a couple of not so great cities in the hopes of pushing my population up, and was rushing granaries and lighthouses to speed growth. In retrospect, if I'd founded them earlier and decided I was going to get a diplo victory, I probably would have been able to carry it with Mao's help.

In the end I won a culture victory in 2008. I'd fallen behind in tech due to the culture switch; Mao, Saladin, Bismark and Izzy all had spaceship parts completed. I did a last shot at a diplo victory a few turns before, bribing Izzy to attack Bismark. She took 2 of his cities and promptly became my rival, but Mao abstained from that victory vote, leaving me in the same spot as always. I'd also signed a defensive pact with Saladin to bring him to my side, but all it did was alienate everyone else.

I had no wars after I killed Alex, and no one tried to invade me. I'm going to replay my second session after killing Alex and see if a firm commitment to Space would have brought the victory sooner.

Remconius in 1st spoiler said:
1230AD
Civilisation X destroyed. Didnt meet them, hope they enjoyed their stay.

The spanish were destroyed in 1230AD before I ever met them, or met anyone for that matter...

Funny to read other people actually meeting, or killing the Spanish.

Going for Domination

At the end of the First Summary it was 940 ad, the Romans had just discovered Astronomy, and we were at war with the Greeks, who had declared on us. Roman caravels were already out exploring the oceans and attempting to circumnavigate the globe for the +1 ship movement. Given the more powerful cultural borders in Civ4, I try to move units by ship whenever possible. It can take forever to get forces to an enemy city when you have to slog through 4 or 5 tiles of enemy culture. Ships are much faster. Circumnavigation was complete in 1070ad.

The Greek War, 800ad—1110ad
My force was made up of about 8 praetorians, 6 macemen and 10 catapults, with more cats on the way. I didn’t intentionally start building macemen so early—I hadn’t realized that Civil Service in combination with Machinery obsoletes Praetorians. 30 more hammers is a steep price to pay for only +50% vs. melee units.

One Greek city had been autorazed and another captured in the 900’s. A second became Roman in 1030ad, two more in 1070, and Athens fell in 1100. The tiny Greek civ was destroyed on the following turn.

War weariness reached 4 unhappy citizens by the end of the war, but since most cities could hold 5-8 more happy citizens, the empire never suffered from it. There was only one thing that disappointed me about the Greek war: they had marble, and I didn’t know that until near the end of the war. My very first warrior in the game had been eaten by a bear about two moves away from discovering it. If I had known, I probably would have killed the Greeks much, much sooner. When I have marble, I like chopping forests into wonders that go double speed with marble. +60 shields toward the Great Library or National Epic, for instance, is quite lovely.

Exploration and Contacts
It took a bit of time to find the other civs with my caravels, as I chose poorly with my exploration path—one caravel went NW from the NW corner of our continent, the other NE from the NE corner. That is pretty much a recipe to miss every AI in the game. Fortunately, I zigzagged a bit after a while, and met Mao in 980. We signed Open Borders. The western caravel met the Arabs a few turns later in 1010, and again we signed Open Borders; then the boat spotted Spain and the Aztecs. Both these civs hated us, so no trades. We met Bismarck, the last enemy civ, in 1090 ad. Unfortunately for Bismarck, my troops were all down in Greek lands, and that made him the nearest target. Even though he wanted to be friends, I didn’t sign any agreements with him.

All the AIs were hopelessly behind in tech (didn’t even have Monarchy), so there isn’t much to report on trading. Once I had a general idea of where everyone was, I decided I could afford to make agreements with Mao, the Arabs and the Spanish. It would take a while for me to attack them anyway. I picked up a resource trade with Mao and gave him Monotheism for his gold and World Map, picked up a resource trade with the Arabs, and gave the Arabs and Spain Alphabet in order to keep them friendly while I killed the Germans and the Aztecs.

Tech Research
It was tough for me to decide where to go technologically after Astronomy. In particular, I wanted to turn off research and use Universal Suffrage to rush new units and hit Domination as soon as possible. In looking over my economy in 1000ad, however, I didn’t think it was a viable strategy. At 90% science, I was making 260 science and 52 gold, but expenses were 78 gold per turn. I could make around 250 gold per turn, but every new city would decrease that amount by 10 gold or more. That wouldn’t allow for much unit rushing. I decided to leave research on and set the following research path:

1010ad Engineering; for faster troop movement
1030 Paper; in order to trade Maps
1060 Music; Surprisingly, no AI had Music, so I wanted the free artist. I had a great engineer sitting around, so I planned to use the artist to end resistance in an AI city overseas, then use the Engineer to rush Versailles.
1130 Guilds; felt I would need at least some mounted units in my forces in order to reach AIs faster. Also, I had decided Mercantilism (Banking) would be the best way to improve my economy for the least research investment.
1150 Banking; for the aforementioned Mercantilism
1190 Divine Right; for Versailles, although this was probably stupid, as I shall explain later. I got Islam too, but didn’t need it. I wasn’t even sending out Christian missionaries any more (too expensive in hammers vs. the 1 gold you get in return).
1200 Drama; theaters would be handy in getting my new cities to 100 culture and the critical third border expansion. Also had dye, so +1 happiness.
1240 Gunpowder; Decided the loads of cash I would soon be making from turning off research would be better spent on upgrading double and triple City Raiders to Grenadiers than on rushing new antiquated units.
1270 Chemistry; Grenadiers, yum!
1310 Steel; for cannons—overkill big time against these noble AIs. The last two turns (900 beakers), I rushed with a Great Engineer I got while going for an Artist. There really wasn’t anything else useful an Engineer could do for me at that time.

That was it for research until the last two turns of the game, when I turned it back on to get Nationalism and Education (and Philosophy via a Great Prophet) for a few extra points in score.

I forgot a critical economic factor when planning how far I would research. Lots of gold—around 180 per city—comes in during military conquest. I probably would have been fine without Banking or Steel, and maybe would have won a little sooner. In addition, many of the cities I captured were an economic asset the moment resistance ended due to the number of AI villages and towns.

The German War, 1130ad—1240ad
The first city to fall was Berlin in 1160. That city contained the bulk of the army, so the other cities fell very quickly thereafter. The main goal in this war was to take an inland city in order to use my free Great Artist (Music) and my Great Engineer to rush Versailles. The city needed to be inland, preferably, because otherwise the border expansion would be wasted on miles and miles of ocean.

As an aside, Civ4 is different than Civ3: coastal tiles do not count toward the domination limit. Here is a screeshot of Hamburg after I used my Great Artist. I am clueless as to what determines how borders expand when creating a great work. Some of the most bizarre patterns appear:

I left Germany with a tundra city in 1240. In the peace negotiations I picked up Archery, which I had never researched :), along with a truly fantastic World Map. That map enabled me to plan all my future military operations. By counting tiles, I saw I would be around 100 short of domination after taking the Aztecs, so either Spain or China (or both) would have to give up some land. On the turn the German ceasefire expired, I autorazed their last city and refounded it with a settler.

Throughout this war and those following, I would attempt to get as many chops done as I could before a captured city came out of revolt, in order to rush courthouses and theatres. It helped quite a bit to expand borders quickly and to reduce maintenance costs.

The Aztec War, 1290ad—1360ad
An AI longbow—the first I had seen—was spotted in an Aztec city about 2 turns before I declared. I thought that was going to make for a much slower war, but he never built more than 4 or so. Also, the upgrades from macemen/praetorian to Grenadier began before this war, and catapults to cannons a few turns later. Nine praetorians/macemen were upgraded to Grenadier the turn before I attacked. On average, I was able to upgrade about 2-4 per turn after that.

The Aztec capitol fell in 1310 along with another city, and three cities fell on the last turn of the war, eliminating them. I was a bit worried about this last city, as I didn’t have Open Borders with Spain anymore, and I wasn’t yet in a position to declare:

I needn’t have worried. As it turns out, triple City Raider, Combat I grenadiers have no trouble whatsoever making an amphibious assault on a longbow and a spearman. :)

The Chinese War, 1330ad—1430ad
Back around 1000ad, I had hoped to leave the Chinese alone. Proximity, however, made them a necessary target. I already had plenty of troops in the war theatre on the eastern continent, and Mao’s continent was very close to the productive core of my empire. I had four galleys stationed at the northern tip of the home continent just in case things turned out this way, so I didn’t have to wait on boats in order to attack. I sent a few cannons and grenadiers, but the bulk of my force was made up of knights because of the simple need for speed at this point. Mao was wiped out on the last turn of the game.

The Spanish War, 1390ad—1430ad
Attacking the Spanish was just gravy. I didn’t really need their territory, but I couldn’t resist. My troops were restless, and—with the exception of their capitol—their cities were defended by one longbow or archer and one spearman. I slowed down the domination victory by one turn, just so I could take Mao’s last city and Isabella’s capitol before the game ended. So if you intend to get a faster domination than me, please do it by more than one turn, else I shall :aargh:

Great People
This was the only aspect of the game in which I had lousy luck. The only great person who was what I wanted was the first, a great prophet. But the chances of that were 100%, so luck wasn’t a factor. After that I was shooting for an early scientist and then lots of artists in order to expand borders in captured territory. In spite of having an 86% chance of getting Artists, I got 4 prophets and 3 engineers. The only artist I got was the freebie from Music.

The first two prophets made the shrines for Christianity and Confucianism early on.
The first engineer and the artist were used to end resistance in Hamburg and rush Versailles (1250ad)
The third prophet and second engineer were used to kick off my Golden Age in 1260. I almost used the Engineer to help research steel, but the end of the game was approaching too quickly, and I felt the increased production of a GA would be more valuable. If I waited any later to trigger a GA it would be completely wasted, as the troops I built would never make it to the other continents in time. It turned out to be a good decision since the next great person was another engineer anyway.
Last Engineer used to get 900 beakers toward Steel in 1310.
Last Prophet used to get Philosophy in 1420. At that late date, I suppose it wouldn’t have mattered if I had gotten the Artist anyway.

Economic Data
1000ad, 90% science, 260bpt (beakers per turn), 52 gpt (gold per turn, ie: taxes), 78 ept (expense per turn)

1150ad, 90% science, 367bpt, 78gpt, 136ept
This is just prior to adopting Mercantilism.

1160ad, 90% science, 398bpt, 91gpt, 151ept
After Mercantilism—and already running Representation which makes Mercantilism so much stronger. Most of the jump in expenses was due to capturing another city, not due to the civics change. The civics change only added 5ept. I could have brought in much more from Mercantilism, but I was running many engineers, at least for a few more turns.

1250ad, 406bpt, 177gpt, 159ept
Before building Versailles. I never built a Forbidden Palace. Perhaps it was a mistake, but I never seemed to need it. After Versailles, my maintenance dropped by 16gpt. Not very much at all! Certainly not worth using a great artist and a great engineer to accomplish it. Upon closer examination, I noted that distance maintenance had dropped by 30gpt, but number of cities maintenance had increased by 14gpt!?! I acquired no new cities during this turn, and none came out of revolt. It seems to me that all Versailles accomplished was to save me a miniscule amount of gold, and shift some expenses from distance to number of cities maintenance. Has anyone else noticed that? Bug maybe?

1260ad 602bpt, 173gpt, 162ept
This is the start of my Golden Age.

1430ad (100% science) 1154bpt, 56gpt, 377ept (181 of that is city maintenance, 84 is from Civics)
This was the last turn of the game. I had turned up science just to get a tech or two before the end.

EndGame
68.5% of map captured in 1430ad for a domination win. Score was a little over 90k.

Thanks for the fun map Aeson! There seemed to be less food bonuses in our starting area than I see in my random games. Did you make that modification (which I liked)?

I hope you have given some thought to a scoring system for Civ 4. We are certain to need a new one in the worst possible way! I’m off to see if any myths mention Jason having a sibling…

Taronas said:
Having spend too much time fighting against the greek the only thing left was to try the space race.

It was a close call - too close. Me and the Chinese completed the space ship in the same turn! Now I wonder whether I have won this game or not? Compare the top right message vs. the text on the bottom.

I did select "Victory" in the submit form but was that wrong?

Freaky! I had the exact same thing happened to me but one year before you. It says space race by Mao on the bottom and the pop up says I won space race. But if you look at the end of the replay file it says you won the space race victory. So I'm putting that down as a win.

edit; I see Alan already spotted that one.

I guess I squandered this game away. I won in 1998 with a space race victory while slowing down my tech at the end to try and grow my cities by pushing culture up. I probably could have won about 1900 had I not tried to get big (I think I had a size 28 and a size 25 city, /shrug). My score was 8100 or something.

My game was completely different than many others it seems. I never met the Germans as they were crushed by the Aztec/Spanish team. The Spanish then got mad at the Aztecs and crushed them which left Saladin/Isabella/Yao and myself for the last 100 years or more.

Spain did attack me which was quite annoying. I had destroyers and battleships all throughout the ocean between the continents and I never saw the transports until they landed on my shores. They unloaded 3 full transports apparantly, but did no damage as cavalry <<<<< Mech Infantry. Although they managed to kill my mechanized infantry on the city they attacked (I had Mech, Machine Gunner, and Praetorian on that city).

Spain was able to land one more transport after that with 4 units (2 infantry, 2 cavalry) on my shore, but that was quickly wiped out. I sank the Spanish ships, but it really didn't matter. They did sneak some destroyers on my back side to pillage. /shrug

I probably did not play this game well at all because I was not sure what I was going for. I also do not understand how to speed up research. I went for bottom 5 civics as soon as possible and filled up my island with every city I could. I am still unsure as to which civics are really best for rapid science.

The only thing of note about my game was that every city after my 2nd city built a library before anything else (borders and research). And that the Greek's attacked me as soon as all the land grabbing phase was done. Barbarians founded two cities north of me as I expanded first to the great spot west of start and my second expansion was on the mountains directly between the Greek and Roman starting spots.

1st spoiler

I had rebuilt my forces ready to attack greece, and did so at around 1500 ad. This time I was far more succesful, and there was little resistance from the greeks. I was in control of the continent by 1600 ad ish. I then concentrated on building my infrastructure up, unsure of what victory to go for.

I cultivated relations with the Chinese and Arabs, and this occasionally meant joining in their wars even though I didn't do anything. I was generating several great scientists, which i used to rush academies in most cities. This gave me a big tech lead appraoching the 20th century. As I couldn't be bothered with warmongering I went straight for space, and launched in 1980. If I had spent more time calculating builds and techs precisely I think i could have wiped 20 turns off that. 9329 firaxis points, and my best score to date. (4 complete games so far).

Thanks for the fun map Aeson! There seemed to be less food bonuses in our starting area than I see in my random games. Did you make that modification (which I liked)?

I hope you have given some thought to a scoring system for Civ 4. We are certain to need a new one in the worst possible way! I&#8217;m off to see if any myths mention Jason having a sibling&#8230;

Glad you liked it, but it's the RNG's fault. It was just a random map that I checked to make sure wouldn't end up being too abnormal. It looked like something that would be fun, reasonably safe to allow most players to experience the game, but not too quick to win on. Saved me from having to do any work that it turned out that way.

Should be very interesting to see what can be done with the SDK in regards to the scoring system. We basically have free reign this time, and can include it in the game's progression for players to keep track of, instead of being limited to what the Civ III saves kept track of and calculating it after the game ends.

early game:

I started out in the regular way but then those vile greeks decided it would be fun to attack me, about at the same time i had just gotten pretoriats, i strugled a bit at that beging but in the end i destroyed them and took control of the entire contenit. I also was ahead in techs.

middle game:

I played the middle of the game pretty mellow, just advancing as fast as i could in tech, culture and my economy. I only sent out 3 caravels for exploration.

Everybody was pretty close in the score except for me who had about double the score of everyone else, except for the aztecs who were a bit behind. I was maybee 4 or 5 techs ahead but controling the whole island i had decided to take my chance with longbowman. (he he he).

Late Game:

I started out the industrial era by geting a couple riflemen to replace my longbows. throughout the game spain germany and the Aztecs had been having minor skirmishes, but when germany seemed to be on the brink of destroying the aztecs i desided to get a piece of the pie and declared war on the Aztecs, i took 3 cities before the aztecs were done. then i put my tank production into high gear and declared war on the germans, destroying them and their cavalry and then moved on to the spanish, taking 4 cities before i won the space race around 2025.

wow that was kinda boring, o well...

Basically I lost. So I'm not submitting my score unless I get encouragement to do so. It's pretty ugly.

I was doing fine having conquered the Greeks and taking the continent for myself, then when I made contact with Mao, we stayed good friends. Basically, I had wasted a lot of time though building infrastructure and tech and not talking with the other civs.

By the time I realized it was too late for a Domination or Conquest victory, I started trying to go for Diplomatic victory. I get the UN and get elected head, but then it turns out, only one other person votes me for diplomatic victory! What?!? I had neglected to actually get REALLY GOOD reviews with the other civs. So I never accomplished my goal.

Eventually, Mao snuck in a space victory with about 20-30 turns to go because I didn't pay attention to the fact he was building ship components until he already had about 4 or 5 finished and I just couldn't catch him.

So disappointing after 3.5 hours of work.

Still, I suppose since it was my first GOTM I should be happy I didn't just get wiped off the map early. :(

Aeson said:
Should be very interesting to see what can be done with the SDK in regards to the scoring system. We basically have free reign this time, and can include it in the game's progression for players to keep track of, instead of being limited to what the Civ III saves kept track of and calculating it after the game ends.

Does this basically mean we can again give a representation of average population/territory throughout the game in the score? That was one of the few features in Firaxis scoring that I actually thought was of value.

I am almost afraid to ask if this means we can attach a score value to anything we desire--a Wonder, a building, a unit--as well as to the time that unit has been owned. How in the world will we ever make it to a consensus on score/value in the threads!?! :eek:

bradleyfeanor said:
I am almost afraid to ask if this means we can attach a score value to anything we desire--a Wonder, a building, a unit--as well as to the time that unit has been owned. How in the world will we ever make it to a consensus on score/value in the threads!?! :eek:

Who needs a consensus? ;)

Someone will just have to be obstinate enough to convince ainwood to go one way or another...

Space race victory, 1906.
Score: 18,662 (4650, in-game).

My game went like a lot of the others. A couple of differences - I didn't aggressively go after iron, or even research iron-working until I'd researched several other techs. As a result, I didn't notice the iron to the southeast of Rome, and never built a city there. Instead I followed the river upstream, building Antium where it turns south, and my third city at its source - across from the copper there.

I settled 1E, so I could later mine the hill, and built worker, settler, scout, chopping for the settler. I made a mistake, though, since I let my warrior wander too far south, and nearly had my first settler eaten by a panther. Fortunately, animals lose interest once a settler becomes a city, and he wandered off.

Originally I'd planned on foregoing religion altogether, since I'd researched bronze-working first, in order to chop. At some point, though, I realized I'd researched all the worker techs - except for animal husbandry, since there were no animals to husband - and I decided to go for Judaism. To my amazement, I got it. I built one more city in Alex's face, to keep the land from him, and to keep an eye on him. Plus it was a good city-site. It was on the next river to the south, between my original three, and Alex's land.

About that time he sent a pretty impressive force across Rome's river and through the heart of my land. I had nothing but axemen at that point, and not many of them. We had open borders, and there was no settler among them. Turns out he was going to a barbarian city, hidden in the jungles to the north. He conquered it for me. :)

I knew there would have to be war between us. I found the iron, connected it, and started building praets, along with catapults. I built a pretty impressive foce, and cut a swath through his empire, taking Neap, Sparta, Athens, and Corinth, by 640 AD. I took a ten-turn timeout, as well as two of his techs I'd ignored til then (including Husbandry - which revealed his "empy" corrals actually held horses), and finished off his three remaining cities around 900 AD. Strangely, Alex actually declared on me the first time around, right about two turns before I would have brought the war to him.

I found the other main continent, directly to the east, and Mao contacted me, selling me his map. With Alex gone, that left five opponents. The four on the east continent spent all their time squabbling with each other, and Mao never got off the ground. Isabella, the second-highest scorer, never had more than half as many points as me.

Greeks defeated in previous spoiler. Settled the continent. Research, infrastructure, wonders. Was self-sufficient, letting other civs to find me.

Mao declared once, landed a few obsolete units (knight/grenadiers vs. infantry). He did not accomplish much. Then I finally built a destroyer or 3 and intercepted the galleons... Then peace.

Continuation of previous strategy, space victory in 1939, with these scores: 4495 & 13530.

My submission is not entirely kosher: I retired from the game once just to see what this option does, after seeing that this is spoilerish, I tried to avoid looking at stuff too much :/ And I did not save when I finished the game first. I had to reload a final autosave and replayed the final turns (hit a few enters, that is).

Hi, here my short spoilers:

early/mid-game:

Planned to finish off the greeks when I reached a good amount of praes, which
went very well. After the greek defeat I settled the rest of the continent and stopped building military at all till the lategame.

late-game:

I think I waited here too long until I started to achieve the dom victory. Landed on the chinese island in ~1850 and conquered them with cavalry/infantry. The other civs already defeated the aztecs when I got to their continent in ~1920. I rushed the germans and spain with my tanks, which got me a domination victory in 1960 with 20186 points.

bradleyfeanor said:
Before building Versailles. I never built a Forbidden Palace. Perhaps it was a mistake, but I never seemed to need it. After Versailles, my maintenance dropped by 16gpt. Not very much at all! Certainly not worth using a great artist and a great engineer to accomplish it. Upon closer examination, I noted that distance maintenance had dropped by 30gpt, but number of cities maintenance had increased by 14gpt!?! I acquired no new cities during this turn, and none came out of revolt. It seems to me that all Versailles accomplished was to save me a miniscule amount of gold, and shift some expenses from distance to number of cities maintenance. Has anyone else noticed that? Bug maybe?
As I understand it, you ended resistance with a great artist and rushed Versailles in the same turn. I noticed that some economic factors are only taken into account the turn after they change (e.g., I disband a unit and my maintenance costs don't change immediately), so this could explain your increase in NOC maintenance. (Furthermore, I think that city maintenance also depends on city size, but I could be wrong there...)

BrandonIT said:
So disappointing after 3.5 hours of work.

Still, I suppose since it was my first GOTM I should be happy I didn't just get wiped off the map early.
Wow, you should be happy for finishing in record real time!
I needed some 24 hours, and bradleyfeanor even 36 - that's more then 10x yours. Believe me, I'm really impressed. Still wondering how anyone can ever finish a standard map in under 10h. In my latest game I tried to force myself not to MM anything, but miserably failed. It just won't do to let the AI handle my cities and workers in times of war or initial expansion.

Top Bottom