GOTM 56 Spoiler

Ali Ardavan said:
I am partially color blind. And to make matters worse my screen has lost its ability to show some colors properly: red looks like orange. I meant the last Civ: Mongols/Sioux/Indians. What is their color, purple?

I'd say purple.
But to females it would probably be lilac, violet, indigo or some other so-called color that I don't support.

nerovats said:
A pre 1000 launch is also unbelievable, how did you get the tech rate up, all my ai's we're kind of ******ed, was only able to trade a tech once or twice.
Keeping the tech rate up was actually one of the main difficulties. My SSC wasn't great, but certainly adequate, the problem was more on the AI side and with my delayed expansion. Usually, the AI is only useful for tech trades up to Republic. Once you hit that, you really start pulling away too much. Sure, by gifting them wisely you can allways hope for Chivalry or Leadership down the road, but for the most part you need them to trade caravans, and thus you want them to grow. Prince level reduces AI growth rate and that reduces your payoffs. So sending out enough caravans became a real challenge and having more cities earlier would have improved the situation. Infact, even after Democracy I couldn't keep up constant 1 turn advances until I got Automobile...

I'm sure some of the better EL players will easily leave me behind in this one. If you haven't already, reading the Early Landing guide by solo is highly recommended.

As said I haven't played civII in years unitl last week. It tried this game a couple of more times with different strats, knowing where the civs are, but can't get even close to 800BC, haven't tried space yet, might give it a go. Will get back to work next week so then I'll have plenty of time to read all the civII guides :mischief:

So I have been enjoying replaying this game to see how fast I can conquer this map. It seems that the optimal strategy for a green star is to research Monarchy, Maps, then HB and Poly before the trade sequence. That allows building triremes and elephants while waiting for the tech to build 4 caravans for MPE. I can conquer by about 1150 with moderate hut luck. Just to see, I tried with optimal hut results by reloading, and got done in 1500BC (!!!), but that is not realistic. It was pretty cool, though.

I've done a 2000BC conquest when all civs are on the same large continent; 1500BC sounds pretty good for having to research, build and sail ships.

finished this one 2019 ad (maybe slowest of all) :cry:

got a good hope on blue star now. that´s what i decided to try after reading the posts around here.

so maybe i make my way into this hof (if it will be updated some day)

looking forward for next challenge now.

ah, when can we get the results (latest on website is gotm 53)? :(

@Grigor and Elephant - Your EC results are very impressive! I would like to try your suggestion (delayed Trade) if I can find the time. How did you find the AI, though ? (prior knowledge? the "nearest city" trick? the delayed MPE?).

I found the AI by random early exploration (netting one AI and huts) and delayed MPE.

It works particularly well on this map because of (1)Prince level making HG moot, and (2) 2 techs towart monarchy. That mans that delaying Trade isn't really delaying very long.

When all civs are on the same large continent they usually do not start spreading out very early. A fast effort to pop huts can often snowball into a major army if you know where to look. As your mercenaries spread out they will bump into those scattered civs, and if you've got an Archer and a Chariot when the other civ has a Warrior in their only city you usually win. The last time I did one like that over at Apolyton I delayed settling my first city in order to suppress Barbs. I had 4 civs knocked out by around 2500BC and was gathering my scattered mercenaries to kill the 6th by 2000BC. I think the map was Normal sized - on Small it can go faster if you get some decent mercenaries near the beginning. I'm not in favor of the "nearest city" trick, nor the "black click for cities" either.

Well I finished between 1850 & 1900, so only a black star for me. I may have the smallest score as well -- decided to "pull a Kev".

Let me know if you want a couple of screen shots of a One City Conquest.

I never finished this one.

My goal was to be peaceful for a while, then conquer Zulu and Carthaginians, and end with a landing. The starting location was great and I went on happily exploring, expanding, and wonder building. This being a prince level game, I underestimated the AI and had little defenses anywhere.

In 590 the Zulu attacked my capital which was protected by a single Crusader. A ship came to my island. An elephant landed and killed my Crusader. Then a horse took the captial. With it went all my wonders; seven of them including Leo. Worse yet, I had 3 more cities on my home continent, and all 3 were unprotected. This was a great disaster, the biggest single setback I have ever experienced in a Civ2 game.

I could have recovered from this, even if I lost the entire island. I had 12 cities on other islands and Zulu had only 4 before taking mine. But it was pretty late in the month and even without this disaster it would have taken monumental effort to finish by the deadline.

Top Bottom