Great Generals

I like to balance my GG out, some as warlords, as a good warlord unit can really help in terms of overall stack strength and if well promoted can be a very strong asset, and some settled into a city to help with extra promotions on the standard army units, it really depends on my civ's traits as to what goes were.

I've listed below, the various warlords, tank, gunpowder & my experiance of them, what there str an weakness's are, it's quite a long read, hence why it's covered up

Spoiler :
Melee to gunpowder warlord.
The most balanced warlord, can be highly effective in all combat situations from defending to attacking

Str: The advantage of this warlord is balance, the unit can take advantage of terrain bonus's + promotions to give it unmatched def strength in the right terrain, it's ability to access both assault (via melee) an defensive (via gunpowder) promotions means it can be equally effective at holding a defensive postion in hills an woodland, as it can be at attacking cities via it's city raider 3 promotions.

weakness: lots of promotions and only 1 attack mean this unit takes time to achive it's potencial.

Tanks
Strong assault warlord, very good offensively especially vs cities

Str: Well promoted with city raider + other promotions an these units give unmatched attack odd's, A well promoted tank can easily get 99.9% odd's (these odd's give pretty much guranteed wins, so no chance of loss, and is what you shoud be aiming for when you attack with your warlord, anything less should be left alone unless it's a dire emergancy, or you dont mind interupting the flow of play to reload, i dont like reloading so i use 99.9 odd's only) on even veteran city defenders with no need to do anything, other than just reduce the cities inherant cultural def a little bit, blitz + extra move means 3 attacks per turn, fast level up speed.

weakness: cannot use terrain def bonus's so it's defensive power (combat bonus's) is a lot less than it's city attack power.

Artilery
Good assault warlord, strong offensively and can reduce city defenses which is always a good thing, does'nt need a huge number of promo's comparitively speaking to get to full str.

Str, it's great having a warlord that can bombard + cause collateral, since it makes it much easier for all your other warlords/troops to then get there kills in, treb onwards all siege units tend to be pretty strong an offer strong str against cities, the 2 things i most like about the siege warlord is if you have a nice tasty easy target, you can hit it with your siege an then hit it with another warlord, they dont compete for the XP since the siege will not destroy the unit, so 1 enemy can level up both your siege an another warlord, you can also just hit the same weakened city defender with just you siege unit turn after turn, which will let you level it up nice an fast, siege units are actually stronger than they look str wise, since a sige unit only does a % dmg it's odds are better for the same fight, example a stock cannon 12 & a stock grenadier 12, if the cannon attacks the grenadier it's odd's are better than 50/50 since it only need to knock 80% of the health of to win, so it gives the odd's of a higher str unit because of this.

Weakness: 1 attack so slower to level up, str rating is not top tier, although due to the way siege combat works it's a little better than it looks on paper, unit gets no terrain bonus's.

Gunship/knights
lots of moves, Lots of attacks, can cause flanking damage, excellent tank killer.

Str, lots of moves, and attacks means this unit can really promote quickly, very mobile, as a cavalry unit this can be upgraded to commando (can only get before gunship upgrade) , this gives the gunship a huge number of moves in enemy terrain, you can attack, pillage squares or units that are deep inside enemy teritory an then skip back to safety that very same turn.

Weakness, no good vs cities, base str quite low

Ships, well cant comment to much here, since i always felt a land based warlord was a much better investment, however the new patch is adding the blitz promo (about time) to ships, this means all ships will get multiple attacks an should alow you to leverage the extra power of a warlord by being able to attack with it multiple times per turn, i think i will be using naval warlords more in my plans once version 3.13 ships

Of my 1st 2, 1 becomes a Leader. The others I mostly put down the +2 xp guy in a city. I prefer attacking them to swords. Or possibly a Horse archer if I have HBR. But never a chariot. I like making 1 a Leader and adding all xp to only 1 or two units though. Making sure the attached guy gets that +100% xp promo to hurry my next GG's along.

I don't think the bonus exp points earned due to leadership promo count towards GG points. Someone want to test this? I'm not at my computer at the moment.

Once each game I use one GG on a chariot to make him a "Healing III" chariot. I never upgrade this unit, so it will be the last defender in a stack (=never killed) and the 2 :move: make it worthwile even in a tank stack. The healing rate is just wounderful, even in enemy territory.
To get Healing III you need 17exp (non-charismatic), so I use a 7 exp chariot (which is fairly easy to get) and another unit on the same tile and attach my GG to the chariot, so I get 2 units with +10exp.

i use my first for a Medic3 too, and have always used chariots, i do want to try somebody who can get woodsman 3 someday. but i don't split the exp like you do. many of my games have no wars at all, so i attached the GG to just the chariot so that he'll hit level 6 and i have a guarantee to qualify for west point. why do i need west point if i never go to war? because it's shiny. that was pre-BtS tho. now i can get exp and GG points at peacetime, i adore privateers!

then free (otherwise expensive) upgrades through stealth destroyer.

oh what kills me about upgrading them isn't the gold, it's the exp dropping to 10. some of my privateers are level 7! they'll never see another promotion once the get upgraded /sigh. then again, they're already pretty nicely promoted *giggle*

Lately I have been playing around with raging barbarians. Add some color to the game. So my trick makes for an amazing army I have found. I actually make 2 units as great generals and always beeline for great wall. My trick makes for guaranteed 12+ great generals per game I am finding out. Here are my tricks.

1. Use any aggressive leader for combat 1.

2. Send out 2 warriors either by building 1 or getting one from goodie hut. Have them get to woodsman 2 right away from all the animals that are everywhere from raging barbarians. The extra movement comes in to play later on. Once you have 2 warriors with woodsman 2 declare war on one of your neighbors. The warriors with woodsman 2 promotion can just settle around the player city picking off extra units or workers as sometimes the AI forgets about the 2 movement of the warriors.

3. If regular troops spawn from barbarians no need to declare war as you can get to 10 xp and woodsman 3 very quickly. By this time you should have axemen so rush your warriors back for axeman upgrade or wait for new axes to come and attack a city to take it over.

4. Very early on with great wall I find that I can have my first great general from 1 civ attacking but not dominating. Letting them send out troops or staying sheltered in to their cities. I tend to do this with the first great general.

0xp - free combat 1
2xp - woodsman 1
5xp - woodsman 2
10xp - woodsman 3
17xp - medic 1 (by this point hopefully you are getting close to a great general)
26xp to 46xp from great general - medic 2, medic 3, leadership

This unit is now a 40% healing monster. Always keep him in a jungle square if any remote possibility of danger. and use him to pick off units for free xp (2xp per kill from leadership adds to 2nd great general very fast and great wall)

5. 2nd great general I also make as a swordsman unit. But this will be my city attacking monster. He will take city raider 1, 2, 3 and extra combat levels. When he gets to combat 5 he will be healing 50% on his resting turns when stacked with the other great healer. By this time I am getting closer to gunpowder. And lots of cities now available to attack. I think there is nothing better than city raider 3 riflemen. They are pretty damn deadly.

6. I will settle a couple of the next generals in to a city for the xp bonus, build the academy at the right time, and then keep on settling them down for xp bonus.

7. Privateer Great General is a great idea which I have never used. However it seems foolish NOT to do it. Because you will get that great general back anyways and have an elite naval unit for later in the game. So I think it is almost a bad idea not to take a naval great general especially if you are one of the first to get privateers.

Dont under estimate the abilty of a good combat warlord aswell, the way combat works in my experiance is if you have a unit that has double the str + a lot of FS (4 or more) they can end combat in the FS phase an take no damage, meaning they can defend against wave after wave of attackers.

I just reloaded my current game today and i have small stack that is isolated behind enemy lines, this is down to an unexpected war which has kind of got my warlord units out of possition on the far side of the map and effectively the other side of my rivals border we are a similar level of tecknology i have a slight edge in artilery, Isabella has cannon, i also have sam infantry, Isabella has machine gunners and combustion which i do not have yet so we are close an fairly evenly matched unit wise, we both have infantry.

My stack has just moved onto a wooded tile, when i am attacked

In comes cannon number, 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 loverly so now everything under my infantry is half dead, he must stay strong!!!!!
Cavalry charge number 1,2,3,4 and it's hmm he's not doing half bad
In comes a riflemen, oh the irony of now being killed by that!!!! but irony's away on holiday so we live!
Oh oh whats that infantry doing, he's stepping unto the breach and is promtly clobbered, not a big assault just 12 attacks, however on review of the combat log it could just have easily been 24 and the outcome would be the same.

As even though the unit was damaged examination of the combat log revealed all. The unit is well promoted but they key promotions in this battle were woodsmen 3, combat 6, drill 4, pinch

woodsman 3 gave a 100% tile def
Combat 6 another 75% on top of that
Drill + wood 3 means 5 - 8 FS + 10% vs mounted

The combat log did not show a single hit being landed on my infantry, so it ended the battle as it began on 14 str, some airships had knocked 30% off him before the stack was attacked.

On strong def terrain a good warlord needs either a very powerful an well promoted unit to be sacrificed in an attack on it in the hope it will score a good chunk of damage & thus making it vunrable to further attack or a nuke dropping on it's head.

Same goes on city assaults add in the city radier 3 promo's to the above lot an you get a net 150% attack bonus only the most hardened city defenders can resist that

Warlords are not one man armies, as single units they can still be vunrable to attacks from a well promoted counter unit, a warlord tank will get tanked by a couple of level 4 gunships, however just like single units become a lot stronger in a well balanced stack so does a warlord, my stack is only 3 warlords an a couple of standard units, however it performs like a regular stack 4 or 5 times it's size, units are fresh everyround, no waiting for things to heal up, 1 unit can defend like 10, thats the beauty i find with good warlords, smaller stack, but just as much firepower as a bigger one

I think I already posted here, but I play usually at Prince level, sometimes Monarch if I feel saucy. I generally build a War Academy with the first GG but I was recently told this isn't supposed to be possible. Whether I continue to do this will depend largely on whether the AI will do it. If the AI can and does this, I'll keep it up until patch day.

My next general (or first, if they fix this bug) is very situational. I'm generally kicking but in a war when the second one arrives and don't need any uberunits, but I'm also not getting any more generals until I fight more. I'll probably make a superhealer at this point, probably with a fast but old unit that won't do any defending, like a chariot or maybe a horse archer depending on the tech.

The rest I would generally settle in a military city. Someday I will play a game where I build the Pentagon, West Point, build a War Academy, and settle a half dozen generals and see what kidn of army I churn out.

I never survive much past the cannon era as it is.

not just for free, they also get to keep all their xp, unlike other troops when you upgrade them

Please clarify:

Are you telling me that when you upgrade a unit which has a great general attached to it, that it doesn't lose all it's experience?

That is awesome! I can't believe I never knew that. I always settle my GGs for the +2 experience. I'll have to attach them to units more often now.

I attach one GG to a mounted unit with blitz (I'm usually not involved in serious combat until I have knights) which is eventually upgraded to gunship.
I settle most of the others but I always keep one left so I can attack it to a tank.

I don't think the bonus exp points earned due to leadership promo count towards GG points. Someone want to test this? I'm not at my computer at the moment.

They do not count, although i think they should

Ah, I also was just assuming they did. Hadn't really messed with checking up on it. Well, now that I know this my tactics with my first couple generals may be a bit different. Although, I will probably still attach one to an early unit. Just maybe not the first one neccessarily. :)

If I was in full war mode, intending to win the game via war (usually dominating the continent is enough than complete annihilation.) then I almost always use the first General for the super medic, ideally a scout, but usually a chariot.

After that, I usually settle my Generals, but if I still need firepower, I often do swordsman/maceman with the full CR promotions. I don't usually do mounted units (other than super medic) since they are just easier to counter overall.

Sometimes I do the Admiral if the map is heavily water, but that never happens before I get my land situation settled first.

If I was in full war mode, intending to win the game via war (usually dominating the continent is enough than complete annihilation.) then I almost always use the first General for the super medic, ideally a scout, but usually a chariot.
scout and chariots can't get Woodsman3, so they aren't perfect for the healer job ;)

What do you think the benefits of +2xp vs. the +50% production for GG? What's more worth it?

the 50% production is pretty much worthless in later game.
with heroic epic any military unit doesn't take longer than 1 turn, even on marathon.

it might be worth it earlier on, when a unit takes 3-6 turns to complete.

the 50% production is pretty much worthless in later game.
with heroic epic any military unit doesn't take longer than 1 turn, even on marathon.

it might be worth it earlier on, when a unit takes 3-6 turns to complete.

My thoughts as well. Production amount is inflated so much in the later game that the 50% doesnt amount to a sack of beans.

Now the +2xp is Never devalued. I just love pumping out Jet Fighters with +11xp and spreading them out on the boarder for intercept. I shot down the most bomb runs last night than I ever did in a C4 game.......

Top Bottom