Great Library destruction

Pikachu

Emperor
Have any of you destroyed the Great Library before it expires? I did just that the other day, and then something strange happened.

First I got this message.

Apparently the barbarians get the destroyed wonders.

After getting the great library the barbarians established their own diplomacy...

The barbarians sneak attack us:mad:.

Oops, did we have a peace treaty with the barbarians? How could that happen:crazyeye:?

The barbarians ended a war!

The Great Library destruction messed up the tech too. Here's my science report from 380 BC:

Most of my ancient techs were suddenly lost, but instead I got a few modern ones. Quite useless for me as I could not afford to build many bombers or nuclear plants in my ancient cities anyway. The same happened to the AIs techs, and before my first bomber was finished they had put up mech inf everywhere.

The pollution bug was triggered too. After a while the whole world turned into a swamp.

A few turns later Paris was captured and all I had left was Carthage. A city incapable of producing any shields. Then it wasn't much fun to play anymore so I quit the game.

Still it was a fun bug. It really changed the game! I just wanted to share this experience with you:).

Originally posted by alhimik
U serious bout that barbarian stuff?

I've never seen sucha thing in my life!

LOL! I'm pretty sure that's real, He has screenshots to prove it. Seems pretty funny though.

Brutal! I've never seen such a thing, but then again, I haven't experience WotWs being destroyed very often...
Now I understand why the destroyed Wonders are shown in red! It seems like it triggers the Barbs to become a 'normal' Civ. Was it also possible to talk with them Pikachu?

Originally posted by alhimik
U serious bout that barbarian stuff?

I've never seen sucha thing in my life!
Yes it really happened. Maybe somebody would like to try it? Here's the save game from just after the GL was destroyed (dos version).

Originally posted by addiv
Brutal! I've never seen such a thing, but then again, I haven't experience WotWs being destroyed very often...
Now I understand why the destroyed Wonders are shown in red! It seems like it triggers the Barbs to become a 'normal' Civ. Was it also possible to talk with them Pikachu?
I didn't get the chance to talk with the barbarians. The only contact I had with them was the sea battle outside China that my screenshots refers to. Somehow I managed to get a peace treaty with them, but I never talked with them:confused:.

Maybe I should try to trigger this bug at a lower level to test if it is possible to talk with them? That could be interesting.

This same thing happened to me once.

I can remember laughing as Alexander threatened me, asking to give him technology "3"

Actually, I think it was one of the GOTM's we had here.

But it was a pretty funny experience.

Irish Ceasar!Your puny civilization is making us laugh!
But I will spare you if u give me the technology "3"!:D

It wasn't easy to re-trigger this bug. Sometimes nothing happened when I
destroyed the GL, sometimes the game crashed, but finally the fun stuff
happened again. I didn't even destroy it that time. Giving it to the
barbarians worked the same way.

Anyway, I could finally test if it was possible to contact the barbarians
after the bug was triggered. It was not possible to contact them:(, and they
didn't contact me either. The game crashed the turn after I had captured two
barbarian cities. Maybe that was because they tried to contact me, but the
game was unable to handle that situation? I don't know.

Did you know that the barbarians have a government:king:?

That explains why I didn't get this the few times I played a game in which a Wonder was destroyed. It happens only occasionally. Still a cool discovery though! I'm going to try triggering this bug too.

On the Mac version I tried once this:
I "gave" a city to sea barbarians (land barbs only destroy city whereas sea barbs conquer and develop) so they could develop. Then I sent a diplomat. The meet the king and establish embassy were not available... So I don't how you got this, unless it's a bug.

Plus you're just a diry nuker! Poor earth...

It is a bug. Even after this bug was triggered, I couldn't establish embassy or talk to leader when I sent a diplomat to a barbarian city. Somehow I got an embassy with the barbarians the turn after the barbarians got a tech from the Great Library:D.

Sid probably thought that it was a good idea to let the destroyed wonders belong to the barbarians since they can't use wonders anyway, but he must have forgotten that they actually can use the Great Library. When the barbarians get a tech from the GL, something gets messed up.

I didn't use a single nuke in that game:mad:. How can you accuse me for doing such a horrible thing? Oh, I almost forgot; I usually am a dirty nuker in civ:blush:.

Maybe it is different on the mac version, but in my games land barbarians too take over cities and develop them if the cities are large enough.

I see. Maybe I remember it wrong? Maybe the "land barbarians" I thought I remembered in reality were unloaded from ships far away from my cities? I guess I rarely let real land barbarians take my large cities since they always appears at the border which is either well-defended or newly founded cities.

You are right GenghisK. It turns out that land barbarians destroy large cities too:mad:. How could I not know this? I guess I am not really a civfanatic after all:(.

Did the newly established Barbarian nation begin to colonize the map Pikachu?
That would really be weird if they started to build their own cities ... :hmm:

"The Spin Stops Here"
- Bill O'Reilly

Originally posted by GenghisK
They don't start building cities. They just conquer a city then build units they send to conquer other ones. They can't build settlers.
Usually the barbarians don't sign peace treaties either, but that could be changed by this bug.

I don't think they could build settlers even after this bug. At least I didn't see any barbarian settlers. I couldn't really investigate it because the game crashed just a few turns after the bug was triggered every time I reloaded the one were I had given the barbarians a few cities.

Top Bottom