1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Person Mod for Warlords (updated)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Mod Components' started by Gaurav, Jan 14, 2007.

1. jray

jray King

I corrected the typos that LunarMongoose reported in the two .dds files (thanks LM!).

Attached Files:

2. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

Oops, well that explains another mystery:

Jeanne d'Arc was not removed. She was changed to great general instead of great prophet.

Only Joan d'Arc is missing.

3. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

The Joan d'Arc image fails to load in the game. I have already checked for spelling errors. If anyone can figure out why it won't load, please let me know. I have uploaded my beta patch 1.01a here.

I have put links to jray's patches in post 1 for now.

Edit: I have removed the link to the beta patch. Version 1.01a is now available from post 1.

4. jray

jray King

It looks like you need to update the XML files.

In Amra_GameTextInfos_GreatPeople.xml, move the Jeanne d'Arc segment to the great prophet section and then add this to the great general section:

Code:
        <TEXT>
            <Tag>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOAN_OF_ARC</Tag>
            <English>Joan d'Arc</English>
            <French>Joan d'Arc</French>
            <German>Joan d'Arc</German>
            <Italian>Joan d'Arc</Italian>
            <Spanish>Joan d'Arc</Spanish>
        </TEXT>
    And in CIV4UnitInfos.xml, move the Jeanne d'Arc line to the great prophet section and then add this to the great general section:
    Code:
    <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOAN_OF_ARC</UniqueName>

That's how I have it in my development version of jrayUGH-v208b I'll be releasing soon, and I've been able to generate both Joan of Arc (Great General) and Jeanne d'Arc (Great Prophet) in playtesting.

5. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

Yes, it is probably an error in my xml (unless there is an issue with the image itself). Please look at my xml from my beta patch I linked to above. I have included Joan d'Arc, only I used TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOAN_DARC. I know that part at least is right because I get the generic Great General image with "Joan d'Arc" as the great general name. So it probably just isn't finding the image itself.

I didn't move Jeanne back to great prophet, because she is working in version 1.01 as a great general. Should I? I would need to replace the image with the one I got from LM as well.

6. jray

jray King

I don't think the xml in your beta patch had any reference to Joan at all, if I recall correctly. I looked at both our xml files in WinMerge, and that's how I came up with those suggestions in my last post. The Jeanne d'Arc image already says "Great Prophet," so that's why I moved her there.

It does seem a little weird having two different images for a single Great Person. According to Wikipedia, "Joan" and "Jeanne" are the same person. But I guess she did make history both as a prophet and as a general...

7. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

It certainly does reference Joan. Quite frankly, I'm completely confused as to why she comes up in the game but her image doesn't.

My Jeanne d'Arc image (also the one delivered by Amra's mod) says great general. LM has provided the link to one that says great prophet if I should move her.

If I don't need to put her in or touch the xml, there is no need to put up a patch either. I'll just keep post 1 as it is now. I am certainly tempted to do just that.

8. jray

jray King

Oh yeah, my bad... it is indeed in there. And it looks fine to me, no misspellings or anything as far as I can tell. Weird.

Okay, I forgot that I was using the Jeanne from LM, which as you say is Great Prophet. I agree that it probably doesn't matter. After I post my new jrayUGH (hopefully tonight), then if you're still curious you can look at the diffs in our .dds and .xml files and experiment more.

9. Viperace

Viperace Warlord

For some reason, whenever I got a GP, it always shows the "Great Person " art (the one from the Greatperson.dds). 10+ GPs generated in my game, and I only got this art shown, haven't seen the other.

I was using the ' Great Person Mod for Warlords v. 1.01 ', did I missed something?

EDIT:
    I found some discrepancy in the file " CvGreatpersonScreen.py " between these two download:

1) Great_Person_Mod_for_Warlords_v.1.01_no_art.zip
    2) Great_Person_Mod_for_Warlords_v._1.01_With_Art.7z

The one without Art has this line
    Code:
    CvUtil.pyPrint("Great Person Popup: Name:<%s> Player:<%s> City:<%s>"%
    (pUnit.getNameNoDesc(), player.getName(), pCity.getName()))

The one with Art has this line, notice the #
    Code:
    #CvUtil.pyPrint("Great Person Popup: Name:<%s> Player:<%s> City:<%s>"%
    (pUnit.getNameNoDesc(), player.getName(), pCity.getName()))

Could this be the problem?

10. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

You won't notice a difference between the two unless you turn logging on and look at the python debug log. The second one is not logging some stuff.

This is a path issue.

I think I know what the problem might be. You may not be using "Great Person Mod for Warlords" as your mod folder name. Make sure the name of your mod folder name is the same as what modName is set equal to inside Assets/Python/DrEJlib/CvModname.py. Make sure the Assets directory is directly inside the mod folder. Let me know if that works.

Edit: I have made version 1.01a slightly more foolproof in installation.

11. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

I found the problem. Curiously, Viperace's issue pointed me in the right direction. Turned out it was a funky path issue from having multiple versions installed. :lol:

Version 1.01a posted.

12. Viperace

Viperace Warlord

Great, u r correct that I didn't rename my MOD folder that way. Actually I merge the Spinning Globe mod with your mod, so I renamed this combo mod with a new name/folder.

Now, if I used the new 1.01a , do I still need to rename my folder ?

13. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

The actual name does not matter. It is just that the name of the folder must match the modName variable set in Assets/Python/DrEJlib/CvModname.py. This is so the correct assets path list gets calculated. You can change the modName variable instead of changing the folder name.

14. jray

jray King

Thanks for your answer to my question over in the EDU thread. So does your Great Person Mod have savegame compatibility with the stock game? What would happen if I fortify Sid Meier (Great Engineer) in my capital and then load the game without the mod? Might he change GP type, or will he just get a messed-up name?

I guess I should look again at jrayUGH and see what in there might break savegame compatibility... I've switched mods around a lot and never noticed any problems, but maybe I've been lucky.

15. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

This has savegame compatibility. There are the same number of unit types and they are loaded in the same order in XML. The mod with the ethnically diverse GP names, however, isn't. It could be made to be, however, as it is possible to do what that mod does without unique units.

Also, I fully tested that YAUGM was savegame compatible, and deliberately left out all mods that were not. Ruff's mod almost certainly is too, as you can't really use a non-savegame compatible mod for succession games.

16. jray

jray King

Ah, I see. Do you think the "great person mod add-on" that I have in jrayUGH is also savegame compatible? Remember I moved Jeanne d'Arc from Great General to Great Prophet and added Joan of Arc as Great General. So I think at the end of the day I have one extra Great Prophet. Does that matter? Or is it still okay since I didn't add a new type of great person?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm still a noob at this stuff. :)

17. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

Yes it's okay. Like you said, you just edited the <UniqueNames>, you didn't create a new unit type, which gets its own id.

Besides, you should know I did exactly the same thing, copied right off of you. So you already have version 1.01a. ;)

And the questions are not dumb. :)

18. Gaurav

Gaurav Prince

No. This was changed in Warlords to a random name in CvUnit::init(). You cannot get the names in order again without either fixing it in the C++ or overriding the name generation entirely in Python.

19. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Why on earth did they change this? Wouldn't everyone prefer it in order?
    I don't know anything about python or the DLL but you could possibly just copy the segment from the original DLL... but no way that's too easy :( I expect it's much more complex than that.

Anyway, Gaurav, would you consider overriding it in python or changing the DLL? If not I could consider trying to learn C++ or python but I don't know if I'll have the skills :blush:

20. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

I felt this way about it, too, right after I noticed it. It just didn't make much sense to me to see Albert Einstein being spawned in the ancient age. But then I realized that they needed to do this in order to use all the names. People tend to go for engineers/scientists, and then maybe prophets and artists, with merchants last. I rarely got beyond Hanno or Aretas III in the merchant category in vanilla.