Green City Thoughts?

Zardnaar

Deity
Since lockdown last year I've been watching a lot of videos in travel from various YouTubers. Ex USSR, Middle East, Europe, LA, NYC Seattle etc.

NZ cities look a bit different generally. They're a lot more green. Even the "big ones" are spread out with very few tall buildings outside the CBD and not much in the way of apartment blocks.

Anyway I went for a walk and was going through the tail end of the town belt. The belt is essentially a belt of trees along the hills surrounding my city. In the nice parts it's essentially a nice park with walkways, near the bad bits unkempt mop of trees on the hill.

Well this is the bad bit. One end of my area has the nice parks and walkways this part is near the motorway overlooking one of the lower socio economic suburbs and the motorway.

A small spot in the nice part is native bush and a waterfall and then there's this area.

Panorama left to right looking south roughly. You can see the town belt on the hill it's the green trees.

IMG_20211201_103920.jpg

IMG_20211201_103918.jpg

IMG_20211201_103917.jpg

And a close up walked around 7 km.

IMG_20211201_103148.jpg

If you like the look of that suburb and want to flee here it's around 600k (450k USD)to buy as I'm in the cheap part of the country.

Anyway thought on what you see yay/nay. I've been thinking of if you ad to build a new city and I'm thinking medium density housing with landscaped parks and "forests" of native trees, solar panels in the roof, community gardens etc.

Last edited:
Is it cheap because it's going to be completely destroyed in the near future?

Several newly mapped or classified fault lines run through Dunedin
but the city remains among the places with the lowest risk for earthquakes in New Zealand, the Otago Regional Council says.

Well, they would say that wouldn't they. :p

Since lockdown last year I've been watching a lot of videos in travel from various YouTubers. Ex USSR, Middle East, Europe, LA, NYC Seattle etc.

NZ cities look a bit different generally. They're a lot more green. Even the "big ones" are spread out with very few tall buildings outside the CBD and not much in the way of apartment blocks.

Anyway I went for a walk and was going through the tail end of the town belt. The belt is essentially a belt of trees along the hills surrounding my city. In the nice parts it's essentially a nice park with walkways, near the bad bits unkempt mop of trees on the hill.

Well this is the bad bit. One end of my area has the nice parks and walkways this part is near the motorway overlooking one of the lower socio economic suburbs and the motorway.

A small spot in the nice part is native bush and a waterfall and then there's this area.

Panorama left to right looking south roughly. You can see the town belt on the hill it's the green trees.

View attachment 615409

View attachment 615410

View attachment 615411

And a close up walked around 7 km.

View attachment 615412

If you like the look of that suburb and want to flee here it's around 600k (450k USD)to buy as I'm in the cheap part of the country.

Anyway thought on what you see yay/nay. I've been thinking of if you ad to build a new city and I'm thinking medium density housing with landscaped parks and "forests" of native trees, solar panels in the roof, community gardens etc.
Didn't I hear there is an affordability problem, same as here in Oz.

Is it cheap because it's going to be completely destroyed in the near future?

Several newly mapped or classified fault lines run through Dunedin
but the city remains among the places with the lowest risk for earthquakes in New Zealand, the Otago Regional Council says.

Well, they would say that wouldn't they. :p

There's a good chance any NZ city will be destroyed.

Country is one big fault line. Up north they have volcanoes. Out of the 6 or 7 biggest cities all of them except for one are on/near a fault line or a volcano.

There's a small fault line terminating a few kilometres south. Capital is directly on one, Aucklands on a volcano field with one off shore.

Top Bottom