[GS] Guide for culture victory?

Terdic

Chieftain
Is there any new guides released yet? Any good strategies? What are the best civs?

Thanks.

Slowly getting to it. There is a bit of change in there.
Have you read the rock band thread in general discussions? that is a fair amount of the change.
The main formula or the way it is handled has not changed.
The only change to pre existing mechanics is they stopped tier 2 different governments from having a negative effect on your tourism to then and have made all tier 3 and 4 governments have a simple -20% if you have a different government from them.

What is your criteria for best civs?
The Greeks are still great for a fast standard victory.
High culture civs like Peter have got stronger but not necessarily faster.
Religious CV civs like the Khmer are unchanged, still strong if you can find opposition to argue with.
I would say the Maori are not fast but really fun. I did a CV with them using just wonders and rock bands.

If I dont like to decide my victory type early (I dont play for the sake of winning), when is a good moment to decide to focus on culture victory and what do I need to change at that time?

For example, in my actual game, (emperor, epic speed) I just reached industrialization. I am leading in science tied to another civ and third in culture. I have 1 acropolis in all my cities (usuually dont build theater squares with other civs). I always end up doing science or domination victories, bc science is my favourite "resource" and leading in science makes an easy domination victory.

Would it be still possible to focus on CV instead in this game? Id say yes, since industrialization is pretty early. What would I need to change?
I am doing about half art museums half arquological museu,s btw.

I am a CV noob, since I kind of hate tourism, bc for me it's nothing but a score "resource", it doesnt improve my empire. But one CV from time to time could be fun.

But one CV from time to time could be fun.
Excellent!
So you are leading in science which means you will be fine for a CV.
I would just let my theatres fill themselves, throw an artists work into 3 museums and look for who might want to swap a bit of art with you. No big deal if you do not.
At this stage you could concentrate on getting Potalas Palace, intelligence agency and pushing spies if you like that way of playing... so even if full of GW, you can sell some to civs with lower domestic tourism to make room for stolen pieces.
I would certainly push for some seaside resorts and tree growing. Resorts really work well when surrounded by trees and this makes your civ look beautiful, it is the main reason I like resorts... resorts double tourism with Cristo of you can spam a lot more resorts with Eiffel, the later being the stronger. You have the science to do this.
Then if you have some faith a national park or 2 are also great and Eiffel helps a lot with these.
In essence I know you like pretty, you can have a really nice civ, more beautiful than normal pushing a mixed CV with resorts and parks thrown in because you plant so many trees and replace mines with trees too.
You should get a CV around T250 doing this and if it looks like it is not going to work, get some rock bands prepared and look for the tourism boost cards.
It is only fast CV’s that make your city look ugly.
I will often play for what I call a balanced victory... just play until 250 and think, how would I rate my civ? If you feel good you have won.

Spies? Is there a steal great work mission? If so, you see how I ignore culture usually that I didnt even know this :p I always steal science or gold.

I have only made 1 CV since R&F and yes, I had lots of fun changing my landscape to be able to place lots of national parks. Loved that mechanic, but at the same time was sad that something so cool only gave back tourism.

Questions:
- Is open borders from every civ, but not to any civ still a thing, or is this something I remember from civ5?
- Art, arqueological museums, or mix?
- Should I use wildcard policies for GPP?
- Do I have religion culture pressure if I dont have a religion? I was just thinking about building a wonder that gave that.

Last edited:
Is there a steal great work mission? I
Yes, and it is quite strong if you get a spy to secret agent with the +2 Cat burgler promotion. I played one game where she was stealing a great work every 4 turns + travel time.
something so cool only gave back tourism.
Seaside resorts give an average of 5 gold each, small but something.
Is open borders from every civ, but not to any civ still a thing
When a civ opens its borders to you this gives your foreign tourism +25% value against that civ.
- Art, arqueological museums, or mix?
Mix in my view unless you only have a few.... you can go all art if really spamming artists, otherwise a mix avoids too much emptiness. Given lots of gold and faith, more arch.
- Should I use wildcard policies for GPP?
Only early for great writers if in a rush to win. +2 or +4 when you need 690 is not enough additional in my view. better geting the additional faith from an adjacency and buying earlier if need be.
Do I have religion culture pressure if I dont have a religion?
Religious culture is a small amount from your holy site + relics. I need to double check but I do not believe religious painting count in this pressure. When people get enlightenment only the religious tourism pressure is halved.

Ok, thanks a lot. I usually build 0 faith after the pantheon. Faith is useful, but I always find other districts better. I rarely have a city without campus+financial and/or harbor. Then I throw in a few theaters and industrial zones.

this is where I could do with help, I'm a reformed warmonger the worst of the shortcomings with my civ cultural games is lack of places to store great works

this is where I could do with help, I'm a reformed warmonger the worst of the shortcomings with my civ cultural games is lack of places to store great works

I suspect, same as in my case, you focus too little on going for a cultre victory. In my case it's bc other districts/buildings sound always too juicy to pass, while deciding to build a museum is like, weeeeel lets build a university/workshop/whatever first :p

Try greece, the cheap acropolis (theater squares)+free envoy they give, really made me build much more of them than I usually do.

the worst of the shortcomings with my civ cultural games is lack of places to store great works
It can also mean you are a successful CV player as it is quite common to fog bust with additional great people. Getting more than you need is a strategy of denial to others.
But yes, it is hard to leave a space for a theatre when you already have found encampments, campus and holy sites. The plaza also made that worse.

Top Bottom