• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Hamburgers Addictive? I believe it.

Immortal

Deity
Thanks to Newsmax

Scientists: Burgers as Addictive as Heroin

Great news for trial lawyers eager to shake down restaurants for "making" people obese: Scientists now claim that a burger and fries are as addictive as hard drugs.

"Scientists at the University of Wisconsin say high doses of fat and sugar in fast and processed foods act the same way as nicotine, heroin and other substances in becoming habit-forming," the New York Post reported today.

Lead researcher Matthew Will said, "A high-fat diet alters brain biochemistry with effects similar to those in powerful opiates such as morphine."

When lab rats had their high-fat diet revoked, they showed withdrawal symptoms like those of a hophead denied a fix, the docs found. A steady diet of slop changes the brain so much that it's nearly impossible for a junk-food junkie to start eating a healthful diet, they said.

The Post did not mention whether the scientists differentiated between good (eg., olive oil) and bad (eg., hydrogenated shortening) fats or good and bad carbohydrates.

Cold turkey is the best way to break the addiction.

Mmmm ... cold turkey burger ...

I just watched a programme on BBC2 about that (money programme special on McDonalds). It showed the experiment you talk about. Was pretty convincing.

Next they'll be saying chocolate is addictive as heroin.

People eat hamburgers because they taste "nice" and are reletavely cheap.

Hamburger related obesity is only due to excess consumption. Also, metabolism has a part to play (something like 75% of obese people have a history of obesity in their family).

Originally posted by Frozzy
Next they'll be saying chocolate is addictive as heroin.

People eat hamburgers because they taste "nice" and are reletavely cheap.

Hamburger related obesity is only due to excess consumption. Also, metabolism has a part to play (something like 75% of obese people have a history of obesity in their family).
Yeh that woudl be my normal way of thinking. But then again if scientists can gather proof of this claim, then I think it needs to be looked into.

They said they were addictive because they were habit forming and enjoyable?

Does that mean computer games, CFC, catchy music, and comfortable couches are as addictive as heroin too? I got a lotta lawsuits to work out :yeah:

As for me, I kicked hamburgers, and all fast food, cold turkey about seven years ago [dance]

I was off fast food for a couple years.

Now I occasionally indulge in taco bells gorditas, but nothing else.

Well, the addictiveness was something to do with the brain, like it basically makes them a fast food junkie. They 'need' fast food. So kicking fast food wouldn't be an option for them because they'd literally be addicted to it and have withdrawl symptons etc. Whether this is actually true needs to be determined.

But, as for teh whole issue of fast food, the details of what actually is in this food should be more widely available, liek actually on the walls of the shop or something.

IIRC mcdonalds and wendys are the only two that publish ingredient lists availible as pamphlets in the store. At least in canada they are.

Originally posted by Greadius

Does that mean computer games, CFC, catchy music, and comfortable couches are as addictive as heroin too? I got a lotta lawsuits to work out :yeah:

CFC and comfy couches are bad for your health ? I never knew that :crazyeye:

jack merchant
CFC and comfy couches are bad for your health ? I never knew that :crazyeye:

CFC increases stress, which can lead to ulcers and (if severe) heart attacks.

Comfy couches promote laziness, which in turn leads to the neglect of fitness and overall health

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Originally posted by Greadius

As for me, I kicked hamburgers, and all fast food, cold turkey about seven years ago [dance]

No, they said it was addictive because it altered the brain (in the same way heroin can). The alterations can create addictions.

I find that hard to beleive. I don't rob stores the day after I have McDonalds just because I'm "addicted". I go once, then I don't go for weeks, and its no problem.

Top Bottom