Harun Al-Radhid - Manwhore.

Alright, I have a save game file available where you may purchase bagdhad, a landlocked city primarily on grasslands with 11 pop for 9000 golds. How do I upload it?
I'm not sure if you are able to do so on civfanatics. You can always use an internet file sharing service like Rapidshare or install dropbox (http://db.tt/PjpOn8Y) and use its public folder.

To be honest they changed ALOT in BNW. When a civilization surrenders to me they very often offer a city now. Before it was 90% gold and resources and 10% cities now its 50/50
I haven't noticed any real changes in this field. Some civilizations still offer all their cities even during inconclusive wars while other ones never yield a single city.

To be honest they changed ALOT in BNW. When a civilization surrenders to me they very often offer a city now. Before it was 90% gold and resources and 10% cities now its 50/50
Yes. Ironically you can no longer afford to accept most cities... :crazyeye:

@shattergod:
CivFanatics said:
When making a post or a new thread, you have the option to attach a file to the post directly using the forum attachment feature (by clicking the "Manage Attachments" button). The file size limit is 10 MB for compressed files, 2 MB for save games, and 500 KB for images and text files.
Just zip the save if it's larger than 2 MB.

The story I remember is that the Dutch traded beads for the territory because they were able to convince the natives that they were extremely valuable. Assuming 5th grade history did not lie to me (fun facts: 5th grade history lied to you) I would suspect that the natives got pretty pissed when they learned a little bit more about European culture.

Strangely enough, they traded it for 60 guilders (about $1000 in modern money, not incredibly much, but no beads and marbles either), but it was Dutch money, so the only way they could use it was to buy stuff from the Dutch again.

If Harun is a manwhore, who's the pimp?

Dat's rite

Never even tried to buy cities from anyone in BNW. They were always refused or irrational in BNW/etc, but it's interesting what you managed to do.

Strangely enough, they traded it for 60 guilders (about $1000 in modern money, not incredibly much, but no beads and marbles either), but it was Dutch money, so the only way they could use it was to buy stuff from the Dutch again.
Yes, I think that is the accepted story today. That figure was mentioned in an letter written by Peter Schaghen, the liaison between the Dutch government and the Dutch West India Company. However, he wrote the letter a year later and wasn't directly involved in the sale, so the account is second hand. Unfortunately, no actual sale document exists.

One interpretation is that the Lenape band which lived on Manhattan thought they were agreeing to share the island, rather than sell it as private property. The Dutch had already settled in the area, and were intent on building a fort at the entrance of the Hudson River to protect against the other European powers. It would make sense for the Lenape to want to keep their trading partners safe and available.

Interesting topic.

I've sold cities in the past to the AI. Either because I couldn't defend them, angering another civ so they went to war or other. Have tried (not in BNW) to buy cities but they never agreed. Would be nice if the AI didn't overprice cities like they do with lux. res. they only have one of and is sitting on 40+ happiness.

No offense but... I'm curious why the title of this thread isn't a violation of the Forum Rules.

... Buy for gpt/lux and DOW? Not that I would do anything so unsportsmanlike, of course. Ahem, ahem. :mischief:

Actually, that's exactly what I did in one of my games.

Montezuma had a small city that was out of the way and I didn't want to waste time conquering it (for my upcoming DoW) so I bought it from him first right before declaring war! :goodjob:

Alaska, my friend, Alaska.

Small scale trades of land are very common, but they usually are made in form of barter. In the last decade, Poland and Pepićkova Republićka traded little strips of land several times just for the convenience's sake.

Pepíčkova. :) (With podiums full of Slavíks.)

This is incredible. In one game Persia had conqured the city of Rome from the Russians, (who had previously wiped out the Romans.) I gave all of my GPT and treasury (344gpt + 4600 gold), and he refused. I then offered to him all of my luxuries, strategic resources and cities (11). Still refused. At this point I just lost hope, and decided it would be best if the Roman empire stayed dead.

I just bought a POP 5 city from Harald Bluetooth. I couldn't get open borders and sail into my city. So I offered two luxes and 20GPT and he accepted. I was surprised. He had only 2 other cities.

I remember once (pre-BNW) I sold a one pop, formerly Austrian city that was completely surrounded by snow with one fish tile I was in the middle of razing to the Ottomans for all of his luxuries, gold and gold-per turn...

I remember once (pre-BNW) I sold a one pop, formerly Austrian city that was completely surrounded by snow with one fish tile I was in the middle of razing to the Ottomans for all of his luxuries, gold and gold-per turn...

YOU'RE A BLOODY GENIUS!

Why raze an useless city? Occupy, pillage every single building inside, and sell it to another AI for lotsa money! Why haven't I done that before?

Why, thank you. :cool:

YOU'RE A BLOODY GENIUS!

Why raze an useless city? Occupy, pillage every single building inside, and sell it to another AI for lotsa money! Why haven't I done that before?

It can be a clever strategy. However:

#1. Potentially increases SP costs (increases your "ceiling" by 1, which persists even after the city is gone. But it should then remain unchanged the next time you found/annex one more city).

#2. More unhappiness while you raze it. (Bigger issue in BNW where being unhappy penalizes everything, whereas in Vanilla/G&K, you can have up to -9 unhappiness and only affect population growth).

Didn't Napoleon do that because he couldn't defend those lands though -- as well as to give England a maritime rival somewhere down the line? Both fall under 'direct military considerations'. I'm talking about selling territory purely for monetary reasons, either to stave off bankruptcy or just to get richer. The sale of Alaska to the US is a close case, but again the Russians couldn't defend it adequately. Don't know anything about that, but do you know if there were military reasons for the trade?

As far as I remember it was for the money. War had bankrupted France and they needed the money.

Top Bottom