Have you ever built Hanging Gardens?

If I recall correctly, the population growth bonus is only to the net food (not the gross food), which significantly limits how helpful it is.

If I remember right, back in Civ V, there were some bonuses that only helped with net food while a few (like Civ V Temple of Artemis) helped with gross food.
BNW version of ToA gave both net AND gross food, making it my favorite wonder by far. Say you have 20 food for 5 pop. Without the wonder you grow at +10 leftover food. With it, 20 is first increased to 22, then the 12 food surplus is increased again to 13.2.

Only other thing which increased gross food was the Aztec UB floating gardens.

There is no real counterpart it CivVI unfortunately

In my actual game I started the great bath wonder. Got beat to it so I transfered production into hanging gardens and got them

First wonder i'll go for is the Oracle (Usually get it) or the Pyramids (50/50). I'll grab colossus if it's been hanging around for a bit and never seem to get Apadana...never really try for it either because I think its not worth it.

First wonder i'll go for is the Oracle (Usually get it) or the Pyramids (50/50). I'll grab colossus if it's been hanging around for a bit and never seem to get Apadana...never really try for it either because I think its not worth it.

Apadana is great. 2 great work slots that can hold anything (when in the early game, great work slots are very limited). Plus envoys. It's less useful at higher levels since you'll be getting fewer wonders but with all the expansions, they keep adding more and more wonders making Apadana even more useful.

Yesterday I noticed in the atomic era that Petra wasn’t build. Had one city with two desert tiles so figured I get it for the era score and adjacency bonus. Would take 8 turns, and then someone else beat me to it...

I just did a religious victory as Egypt where I went for wonder spam. Picked the pantheon for +15% ancient/classical wonder production, and the religious belief for +4 faith per wonder. Classical and Medieval era are both really stacked with wonders that boost religion/religious units.

My first wonder was the Hanging Gardens, probably first time I've built it in more than a year :lol: (King difficulty).

It's by far one of the fastest games I've played, finished by the start of the Renaissance era. Fez was right next to me, so I got their bonus science on conversions from the beginning. It was really super strong, almost every turn I was getting 120-160 science from conversions in the Classical era.

I built the Great Bath yesterday in my first ottoman playthrough. It's effects were underwhelming, my expansion was slowed considerably and I had to settle 6 cities very defensively. Got completed surrounded by incas on south and east, and phoenicia settled a city right on top of my capital and amphibious assaulted me (we we're separated by a lake and mountains) within a turn of founding the city, it seemed very calculated and somewhat genius. I was relatively ready for it... I had walls and an encampment near the ocean in my one coastal city plus ibrahim with +5 damage in friendly territory promotion inside.. and phoenicia still took it. The biremes relentlessly slammed into it from north while catapults amphibious landed from lake in south and chariots harassed from his new city in the east. It was the most impressive naval/land hybrid invasion I've ever seen and it was very early in game.

Anyways, moral of the story is don't build Great Bath. Ever.

Reminds me of a game I had yesterday. Was playing Eleanor France. I had put up a city between my capital and the Kongo. They declared war and came after me with 3 galleys, a quadrireme and warriors and archers on land. Lost the city. Got it back later through loyalty pressure. The Kongo city beneath it had the Great Bath. And, god knows why, a dam. As it turns out the Great Bath does not protect the city from flooding if you sabotage the dam, 4-5 districts washed away. That was very satisfying. Until I flipped the city quite a while later and he hadn't repaired anything, at all...

Yes, but only a few times out of hundreds of games.

I use the wonderous wonders mod (I believe that’s it? My game is heavily modded) which makes hanging gardens give full housing as if on fresh water so that makes it much better. I think that was mohenjo daros suzerainty which is also changed in the mod

Top Bottom