Have you ever built Hanging Gardens?

The only wonders I still have never built are Machu Picchu and the new temple wonder from GS but I'm sure those'll come one of these days too

Machu Picchu is nice though, nice enough to declare war if a neighbor has it.
Oracle also comes in handy with some of the world congres competitions that are about great persons.

I usually go for Oracle, Temple of Artemis or Pyramids. Sometimes I get one, sometimes not.

Every so often I go crazy and try for Hanging Gardens or Stonehenge. I don't think I've ever gotten either of them on any difficulty greater than Prince.

I don't seem to have much problem building the Oracle at Immortal difficulty in GS, but I only succeed about 50% in R&F. I rushed the Temple of Artemis once because I had cattle everywhere and had rolled Poundmaker. I'm still surprised I lost that game...

I main Arabia, who need to rush theology as early as possible to unlock most of their abilities. That means getting the inspiration for drama & poetry is essential, so I need to build at least one early game wonder. Usually that means either the Hanging Gardens or the Apandana, as the others tend to be a bit too popular with the A.I.

Hanging Gardens is probably the best looking wonder while being probably the most useless wonder IMO

No, Hanging Gardens are still good. They provide Housing and increase your growth rate (compare to say, Fertility Rites pantheon).

There are more useless wonders. Jebel Barka is pretty bad. So is Meenakshi Temple (which is bugged and the Gurus don't really work). Taj Mahal is also really bad.

I used to build it , but only in vanila , after rise & fall I wont bother , there are better things to build , and AI seems to rush it more then Stonehenge.

Machu Picchu is nice though, nice enough to declare war if a neighbor has it.
Oracle also comes in handy with some of the world congres competitions that are about great persons.
Well it seems to be one of the wonders the AI rushes pretty much every single game so I've never even gotten close to building it

If you can build The hanging gardens you are probably playing on a too easy difficulty setting. The AI is mad about wonders since GS. I did a trial game on King and by turn 40 three wonders were already built on a 4 AI map.

Probably only on my first game on civ with Rome. Not worth the build, because food is less important than in civ 5 because of the housing cap early game (although governors have changed that a tiny bit).

I usually give it a pass. For the early wonders you need to weigh how likely it is the AI has the placement to build it and that one is kinda easy to place. Ordinarily this would make me consider Stonehenge if I had stone, but the AI beelines that one harder than a non Civ player would likely believe. If ANY AI has stone that one is gone. The other ones like Artemis, Pyramids, and Oracle can hang around for a while. Though, Oracle always bugs me. Its build placement is pretty easy to meet so you would think it would go sooner than it usually does. I wonder if the AI just gets tied up with the earlier ancient wonders and thus this one gets delayed.

Why build wonders when you can just take them?

As to the Hanging Gardens, I have built them more than a few times. I generally find the ancient wonders not worth the hassle unless I am playing China. No point in even trying to build Stonehenge, the Great Bath, or Hanging Gardens otherwise.

Computer usually builds Stonehenge before I have the research for it. Hanging gardens almost as bad not to mention The Great Bath.

Once a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away

Why build wonders when you can just take them?

As to the Hanging Gardens, I have built them more than a few times. I generally find the ancient wonders not worth the hassle unless I am playing China. No point in even trying to build Stonehenge, the Great Bath, or Hanging Gardens otherwise.

1. Some wonders offer one-time immediate benefits that aren't transferred if you conquer them. Examples include the Great Prophet from Stonehenge, free civics from Bolshoi, free tech from Oxford.

2. Some wonders are wasted because the AI builds them in crap locations. Temple of Artemis, Petra, Chichen Itza, Huey Tlatoani, Great Zimbabwe, and Ruhr Valley can be optimized in certain cities but the AI will just build them in crap cities. Colosseum and Jebel Barkal also require optimum placement (based on city locations). Wonders with housing bonuses may be wasted on crap cities.

3. Human players can also concentrate their wonders to optimize things. Put wonders with great work slots together to take advantage of Pingala or St Basil's Cathedral.

Anyone ever try building Hanging Gardens while assuming Fertility Rites? Wouldn't a 35% pop growth rate buff amount to something over time?

If you are India or Cree and built the Temple of Artemis to keep up happiness it might. Khmer too. But it is a tall order.

Anyone ever try building Hanging Gardens while assuming Fertility Rites? Wouldn't a 35% pop growth rate buff amount to something over time?

If I recall correctly, the population growth bonus is only to the net food (not the gross food), which significantly limits how helpful it is.

If I remember right, back in Civ V, there were some bonuses that only helped with net food while a few (like Civ V Temple of Artemis) helped with gross food.

Top Bottom