Help! Mali strategy for higher difficulties

Okigen

Chieftain
Hi guys,

So I'm a newbie to Civ and have played my way religiously from Settler to Emperor in the last few months. I'm now trying to win Immortal game with Mali (I fell for his friendly face and heard they would be easy lol).

Anyway here is reality: In the first game I spawned next to Alexander, who promptly took out my capital. In the second game my neighbors were Matthias and Alexander (again). Needless to say I was denounced and declared war against very quickly. After two rage quits I'm now on my third one.

What is the general strategy to help Mali survive early game?

On map scripts with close spawn points like Continents, I still think it's necessary to start with a warrior or/and a slinger and probably even tech to Archery right away. When you get rushed on turn 10 by an AI and you only have 2 scouts, you are dead. It's as simple as that.
With Mali, it's definitely important to settle at the edge of a desert with a few forested hills in the first ring of your capital. You need those production tiles to be able to build anything and you get the best of both worlds. More food and faith on your city center tile and good production from surrounding tiles.

Mali has interesting bonuses and they're fun to play but their production malus makes them harder to play in the early game. It's going to be harder to move up in difficulty with them than it would be with other civs. You always need to defend yourself from your neighbors in the early game, and Mansa Musa has to come up with an answer sooner because it takes him longer to build troops. To my mind making a warrior your first build is the safest option, and take Victoria's advice on managing the ai. If you're having a lot of trouble consider a civ with strong up-front bonuses, or at least one that isn't hampered in the opening turns. Mali is pretty sweet once you get them going though so I get it if that's just the challenge you're looking for.

In addition, I'd add that, if you're still struggling to find a friendly spawn, try removing one AI from the game (i.e. 5 players in a 6 player small map, 7 in an 8 player standard map, etc). This causes the map generator to spread the remaining Civs further apart, giving you more space to set up and expand in the early game without that frustrating turn 10 warrior rush.

Edit: Oh, and some map types naturally space out the Civs more. I'm thinking of seven seas, lakes, inland sea, pangaea, and even the true start location earth map if you hand-pick which Civs go where. It might be worth trying one of those out, especially seven seas or lakes (they tend to have loads of space).

Try to first-meet other civs using Scouts. This will set a 'positive first impression' modifier for your relationship.

Additionally, on the turn that you meet them, cough up 25 gold for a delegation. This may be the only time they accept it, and it will again put another positive modifier on your relationship.

give gifts. gifts are totally underrated, I prefer strategics and diplo votes. get a fast friendship and the early game is secured.

Hello, thank you everyone for the helpful advice!

Happy to report I have finally won immortal with Mali :king:

In the end I concluded that it was impossible to avoid war in early game. Whatever I do, the neighbors still hate me. Or the barbarians. Or both :crazyeye: I found rushing archery and masonry first very helpful. Once they got a few Sugubas running the game became a piece of cake :)

Top Bottom