Help me make a decision before my next civ session starts

Ronaldo_

Chieftain
I am playing a game (base game of Civ 6, with no DLC) right now where my friend has a city with a defense level of 75 (with walls). Meanwhile, I have 3 bombards (no upgrades) and a knight on his borders. Would I be able to take on his city with what i currently have? What would i need to do in order to ensure i can take it?

Meanwhile, I have 3 bombards (no upgrades) and a knight on his borders. Would I be able to take on his city with what i currently have?
Probably not. Especially if he has a ranged unit garrisoned in the city. He just needs to target your Bombards and that's an end to your siege.

What would i need to do in order to ensure i can take it?
Now there I can't really help you. I only play single-player, so my strategy relies on my understanding of the AI's behaviour.

Besides we would need screenshots to get a better idea of the situation

@Ronaldo_ You may want to consider some other factors. One is the number of troops you are bringing.

Theoretically, you can move your siege units (the bombards) into place, fire each one, and then try to take the city with your knight. I'm skeptical that the city would be weakened enough so that you could take it in a one-turn, rapid attack. With only 4 units total, you're definitely vulnerable to an AI or human counter-attack.

A key aspect of city combat is putting the city under siege. That is, placing enough troops on 5 or 6 of the tiles surrounding the city so that the little red icon appears in the city name. The impact is that neither the city health, nor the wall health, will recover/heal while under siege. In my single-player experience, nearly every time I attack a city with walls, I need to surround it, get it under siege, and spend at least 2 turns pounding on the walls. If I've brought a battering ram or siege tower, then my normal attack units can do more damage to the city itself.

Since you're playing vanilla (not Rise & Fall), your target city won't have the Victor governor promotion to keep it from being put under siege. But bringing more units, controlling more tiles, and being able to absorb some punishment from the city for a multi-turn campaign will increase your chances.

Wow, vorlon_mi, thanks for such a detailed explanation! This is exactly what I needed. I didn't realize how important sieging the city was and that I wouldn't be able to take it in a single turn. I'll definitely bring more units next time and focus on surrounding the city. This will definitely help me conquer my friend's mighty walls!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life is a game, like an aviator-jeux, and I am the main character in it!

Last edited:
in addition to what has been said so far it seems that there is some confusion about siege mechanics and healing of cities

City health heals 20 per turn. But the walls do not heal. And the city has to be at full health to run the project to repair walls.

The safe ( but not as fast ) way to bring down the city is to just chip away at the walls with your bombards. The city will heal but not the defenses.

Once the walls are down you then put the city under siege and finish it off.

If your strongest units are knights against a 70+ city you will have to do this because they can get one shorted by the city. And for sure they won’t last an instant if there is a field canon in the city center.

But if you can bring down the walls with the bombards and then get enough knights in place, they can siege but not attack until the bombarda bring the health to zero

This will take probably 15 turns and there’s a risk that reinforcements come in

What era are you in? If you have bombards it’s likely the renaissance era but the knights are medieval. You can do it but I would want at least six knights because you will need to both siege the city and defend the bombards from counter attack. Do you have any melee units? Melee aren’t as good as cavalry but they upgrade every era

Top Bottom