Help me pick a mod! - TR v RoM, 2 maps in one game??

jimbowl

Chieftain
Hello all, my first post on this site, you all seem very nice and welcoming, so incase I'm forgetting any formalities, I apologize.

I just started playing civ4 and am blown away. I remember playing civ2 but not quite being able to grasp the depth of the content. Low and behold it seems as if the mods available are able to keep me entertained for years.

I'm torn thus far between Total Realism and Rise of Mankind - I'm wanting, in a simple sentence, the most extensive game available. Both of these claim hundreds of additions, but was curious what people who have played them both think...To give an idea, RoM seems to have the edge thus far in my opinion with the flexibility of map size and players, however, are the additional units discussed in the thread entirely new? For example, in the thread where they mention 300+ Units, that means 300+ NEW units, correct? Not 300+ total?

Also, I'm seeing alot of discussion on Mars, but was curious as to whether or not it was possible to have two maps in one civ game? I don't want to play exclusively on Mars, but if there's a colonization type aspect of one of these mods, I'd greatly love to hear about it...and if not, is such a thing possible? i.e. the civ that can get to mars first can settle and expand there first, shuttle resources back and forth as the earth civ continues as normal, etc....Is this making any sense?

Anyways, if anyone has any comments, suggestions, etc, even if they are rude, I'd still love to hear them.

both are pretty good, though I think TR is only for warlords or older... Pretty sure RoM is for BtS though. Why not try both if you have both expansion.

I think when they say 300+ units they probably mean total, not new.

it is possible to have two maps in one civ game but its pretty rare. Not very many mods do it, and frankly I don't remember which ones. I think there is a WW2 mod soon to be released that does this.

If I were you I'd check around the modpack section and the project development forums and check out some of the other highly acclaimed mods as well.

oh and welcome to the forums :band::beer:

Regarding Mars one way to do it is to have a map like this:

x is a space terrain, X is space terrain with an impassable feature, o is planet terrains as a map, O is the arctic of a planet. Wrap is in both X and Y dimensions.

xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXX
OOOOOO
ooooooo
ooooooo
ooooooo
OOOOOO
XXXXXX
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
XXXXXX
OOOOOO
oooooooo
ooooooo
ooooooo
OOOOOOO
XXXXXXXX
xxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx

Spaceships can pass through space, other units cannot. Space is a very slow terrain, but spaceships have a very high move rate so they can pass from one pole of a planet to the other in one turn. Unfortunately AI will not send settlers to another planet across a gulf of space like that. However, you could make a scenario where you and other colonist civs are on one planet (Mars) and the old civs are on the other planet (Earth). A map script for generating different kinds of planets in different regions like this would have to be a doozy.

I'm working furiously on my future mod (taking breaks to post sleep work eat and shower) and after 1.0 upgrades to it will include space terrains and such.

Also, I'm seeing alot of discussion on Mars, but was curious as to whether or not it was possible to have two maps in one civ game? I don't want to play exclusively on Mars, but if there's a colonization type aspect of one of these mods, I'd greatly love to hear about it...and if not, is such a thing possible? i.e. the civ that can get to mars first can settle and expand there first, shuttle resources back and forth as the earth civ continues as normal, etc....Is this making any sense?
RoM has 2 Mars maps included, one where players start normally on ancient times (sort of what-if map) and one where players start on future era (sort of mars colonization scenario). The map is based on actual Mars height maps and then "terraformed" with civ terrain types - can't now remember who made the original map but it's available here on these forums for regular BtS as well, I've just converted them to my mod's settings.

Top Bottom