Help me win deity, please!

falkeid

Chieftain
I have 1426 hours played on Civilization 5, but I can't win deity. I do often practice on immortal but I can't make that last jump. Any tips helps.
P.S. I want to do it properly on pangaea standard size. I don't have the time for marathon speed either.

I have over 1400 hours played, but somehow I've never won deity. It's really frustrating. Any tips are welcome.
P.S I want to win on pangaea standard size.

Let's start off by telling how do you play? Tall, wide, war, peace, science, culture? That sort of thing

You should probably pick on of the deity challenges that is marked "easy", read what others are doing, and try playing it. Then, post screenshots either here or in the thread for the challenge from the moment you think it is not going well (e.g. college / education too late )

Thats difficult even for me but all Ive done since we have the same purpose of clearing deity, is try and retry different attempts as much as possible. I have tried careful starts by using a lot of food with early worker farms and internal trade routes. Ive tried faith focus and religion as well as research and espionage. If some things become too difficult, dont be afraid to take it easy and try emperor which is clearable. If thats not clearable, try king, etc.

It kind of depends on many things.

If you see hostile neighbors, it *might* be wise to go Liberty/Honor CB rush and clear them out before they snowball.

If you aim for peace, Tradition is very strong. You generally will do a lot better if you steal 2-3 workers but it's quite alright if you don't. A really important factor is early production, if you have Deer/Cows/Stone/Horses in the first circle it's really looking good.

A rule of thumb is Scout/Monument/Scout/Worker(if not available externally)/Settler/Settler. Aim to settle 2nd city around T35-40 and third by T45-50. Extra workers should be used to improve expos, build Pastures first if you don't have Mining luxes, then improve luxes and then farms. Of course, start on farms in between while you tech for the luxes. Then, it's a good plan to finish off the NC before turn 90. Your production will dictate whether or not you will have 3 or 4 cities by then if Tradition, war or peace.

Hey,
It took me while to get used to deity too. It's important to remember that you are playing catch up (but don't get too stressed about it), so I find it easier to play it passively at the start. Try to get your scouts out, find as many AI as possible (for the science bonus and trading partners), and identify possible threats (aggressive AIs). If you have anyone close, make sure to put 3-4 archers and just defend yourself. Otherwise, try to keep them busy by bribing them to fight other AIs (I find that keeping AIs fighting each other really eases your way to victory).
I like to go for tradition and trying to grow the cities 3-4. While you always feel the need to keep building things, it's important to identify which ones are useful and to keep an OK army. Rationalism will help you with the science, and sooner or later you'll find yourself to be even or ahead of the AIs. Remember to use the research agreements. I like to build porcelain tower whenever possible (for SV).
Careful with the ideology, since it's likely you'll get a lot of pressure if you don't have a big culture pool. Often I like to invade my neighbour to acquire the wonders that he has built (which give me more culture and happiness, as well as increase my overall strength).
if you have kept your army up to the level, you should not have too big of a problem in the late game.
However, if you really are struggling I would recommend you to watch any Let's Play Deity videos that will give you a grasp on what to expect and how to react.

In my experience, most people don't build enough units. OK this is a city-building game, but you can win the game on Deity without building any buildings after Monuments, really. That's the extreme, but units are useful no matter what VC you are pursuing. If you like peace, 10 good units are enough to deter or repel most warmongers. If you like war, buildings are hammers that could have been spent on units.

If you've not considered a unit-heavy conquest-driven approach, check out Peddroelm's videos. They were what made the difference for me in fully passing the Immortal-Deity line.

Moderator Action: The two "Help Me Win Deity, please!" threads by the same OP between General Discussions and Strategy & Tips merged into the one in General Discussions

I have read through about 5-10 strategy guides. I took about a year or so off the challenge of defeating deity. I like Pangaea Map(it is the ultimate fun, I also like the faster speeds which decreases your unit experience/upgrades and hurts domination victory)

I have found the biggest issue is where I spawn. What AI spawns next to me. What kind of real estate I am in. Anyone can win a great DLC map. When you are using a custom map (which I have seen several players here show) winning deity is more or less like winning Immortal.

The hard part is when you spawn next to Oda, and he has put me into 5 wars in 1000 years constantly and the then when you get to his borders you find out he's behind a protective layer of forest/hills/etc...

I have revised my old strategy of what has been suggested here which is common. 7 Range-3 Melee. That just doesn't work. That is okay to take 1 Capitol. Perhaps if you have the epic or marathon pace on and you turn Composite Bows into literally into Elite Super Men. Then directly upgrade into CrossBows and take your 2nd and 3rd Capitol.

I have found Artillery = for most map types and situations the most powerful weapon. I am going to stop trying to use archers to win games. I think that has cost me too many games. You do need to a strong military though early. I fought Greece the other night = Companion Cavalry stand up to Medieval Knights just about.

I have 1426 hours played on Civilization 5, but I can't win deity. I do often practice on immortal but I can't make that last jump. Any tips helps.
P.S. I want to do it properly on pangaea standard size. I don't have the time for marathon speed either.

I've never gotten CB rush to work for me, and my XB dom V is too slow to clear the map. I usually can only clear 2-3 capitals with XB. I always ended up using artillery and/or planes/tanks.

I've never gotten CB rush to work for me, and my XB dom V is too slow to clear the map. I usually can only clear 2-3 capitals with XB. I always ended up using artillery and/or planes/tanks.

Same here. I ended up with artillery and then to flight often times without biology since city state alliances pitched in oil for the cause. Thats how air wars start out and marks the beginning of the' flight era' .

I managed to clear out guys using CB rushes, but they were generally very sloppy and impossible to follow through

Try and try again. So many factors go into it starting from the start. Cliche I know but you would be surprised how one strategy can flop before 1 AD one game and the next can be the winner. I usually start with a crazy defense early on and build two tall cities to gain a stronghold. Build walls, castles, anything to get cities as strong as your neighbors. I try to ignore the points early on and start with a domination state of mind. (I play with all victory conditions except time). Once you can defend a few battles you can start the faction building phase. After that it's all about timing, environment and science building.

Bribes, bribes and more bribes. Keep the AI fighting itself as much as possible to prevent them from realizing how squishy you are. The AI on Deity can field such a large military that if they want you gone, you'll be gone. Even if they can't kill you, if they tie you up for significant portion of time destroying your infrastructure you'll end up desperately behind. Don't grant the AI embassies for a long time either, it does you no good and lets the AI see how meek you are.

I've never won a Deity on Pangea though either. The only time I've won Deity have been on maps where the AI simply can't be as aggressive as it might like, ones with lots of water. I know lots of people do win on Pangea maps but not me.

Also, if Dido is on the map with you just restart the game. I've never played a Deity where she didn't betray me as soon as possible and long before I could defend myself properly. She'll have elephants stomping your soul out as soon as she can.

Don't grant the AI embassies for a long time either, it does you no good and lets the AI see how meek you are.

#1 RULE!

Thanks medic. This is so true, no embassies early on. NONE! Especially without getting one in return. Doesn't matter how "friendly" they say they are they will try to kill you without warning. Be isolated, build defense until you are able to build a blitz.

Be careful with them since they can be easily killed by knights. If that happens then try to use pikes.

If you CB rush and they pump out knights, you've already failed to maximize the window of opportunity. That is why CB isn't that easy on deity.

#1 RULE!

Thanks medic. This is so true, no embassies early on. NONE! Especially without getting one in return. Doesn't matter how "friendly" they say they are they will try to kill you without warning. Be isolated, build defense until you are able to build a blitz.

This is bad advice on general. Embassy gives you 1gpt and it's huge for early gold. You can argue all you want, but I've found that it doesn't make a difference if they wanted to attack you or not. If you're weak, they would anyway.

This is bad advice on general. Embassy gives you 1gpt and it's huge for early gold. You can argue all you want, but I've found that it doesn't make a difference if they wanted to attack you or not. If you're weak, they would anyway.

I respectively disagree. That 1 gold could easily be subsidized by gaining an early caravan instead of showing the enemy your cards. This also depends on environment, if someone 30 hexes away wants to give you gold for an embassy go for it, but the second you show your neighboring AIs what you have they will come marching in. Remember, without an embassy they only see the defensive score of the city, with one they see all the goodie tile improvements you have as well.

I respectively disagree. That 1 gold could easily be subsidized by gaining an early caravan instead of showing the enemy your cards. This also depends on environment, if someone 30 hexes away wants to give you gold for an embassy go for it, but the second you show your neighboring AIs what you have they will come marching in. Remember, without an embassy they only see the defensive score of the city, with one they see all the goodie tile improvements you have as well.

If you're in caravan range, the AI scout would've seen your capital anyway, and you have nothing to lose by selling embassy. If they are far away, there is also no loss to selling embassy as their army takes ages to get to you and you have ample warning to prepare. Also often deity AI will forward settle you anyway if they're far away and there's simply no point not to sell embassy.

Top Bottom