[Civ2] Help me with the fortresses locations planning, please.

RetroFox

Chieftain
So I am playing Civilization 2 (it is the original disc version) on Prince.
In this run I think I will be the victorious since I have already started building the SS and the only enemy that is capable of catching up with me is Indians, but they are still behind.
So what's the issue here? I can see enemy uses holes in my defense pretty easily such as sending spy directly into cities from the sea shore, landing troops in groups near my cities and I can see they are threatening my Capitol now. Tell me what did I do wrong with the fortresses placement? I play on Democracy.
Also any other tips about land improvements I could have done better?
P.S. How to set up avatar on the forum?
krnl386_000.png
krnl386_001.png

Having troops landing from the sea isn't a sign of doing anything wrong, just the game behaving normally. Once the troops land, you just have to open negotiations and tell their owner to withdraw them. It sucks, but that's how the game is designed.

I would only build fortresses where you really need to have units, usually at some narrow choke point. I suppose the odd tile near the coast that is outside of your city radii might be a good place, too. If you have trouble with diplomats or spies coming by land, don't leave any gaps between units that are supposed to be blocking them. Other units must obey 'zones of control', so they can't sneak around your units as easily.

You don't need so many railroads. Railroads don't help production unless the tile already produces 2 shields. So, mined hills, and forests mostly. Beyond that, you only need a single railroad connecting your cities, and roads are sufficient for everything else.

You may find the "succession games" (games where a group of people take turns playing, and discuss strategy) in the Stories and Tales forum interesting. You could start with this one.

P.S. How to set up avatar on the forum?
I think there is a minimum post limit before you can set one up. At least, there was when I joined years ago.

If you have trouble with diplomats or spies coming by land, don't leave any gaps between units that are supposed to be blocking them. Other units must obey 'zones of control', so they can't sneak around your units as easily.
Diplomats and spies sneak right in between the troops. Under Democracy I have to keep troops in cities or in fortresses near the cities. To not have any gaps I will have to build a circle of fortresses around the city? Also nobody obey any zones of control, they stand freaking right on my irrigations and mines.
You don't need so many railroads. Railroads don't help production unless the tile already produces 2 shields. So, mined hills, and forests mostly. Beyond that, you only need a single railroad connecting your cities, and roads are sufficient for everything else.
Ah.. I thought Superhighways work only with railroads, silly me.

Diplomats and spies sneak right in between the troops. Under Democracy I have to keep troops in cities or in fortresses near the cities. To not have any gaps I will have to build a circle of fortresses around the city? Also nobody obey any zones of control, they stand freaking right on my irrigations and mines.
"Zones of control" are a game concept with the following effect: if a unit is next to an enemy unit, it can't move into another tile which is also next to an enemy unit. Some units ignore zones of control, and units can always leave cities.

If units enter your city radii, your only remedy is to start negotiations and demand that they leave. If they don't, they'll have to declare war (unless you are in cease-fire). If you have important tiles that they seem eager to step on, then, yes, you'll have to station units on them. If you're at peace, you could just use freight to sit on the tiles. They won't cause unhappiness, and the enemy will be forced to declare war to move them.

The real remedy is just to be big and powerful enough that the AI can't get close to many of your cities. Hence, why I recommended checking out the succession games. They'll give you an idea of what is possible, and how to achieve it.

"Zones of control" are a game concept with the following effect: if a unit is next to an enemy unit, it can't move into another tile which is also next to an enemy unit. Some units ignore zones of control, and units can always leave cities.

If units enter your city radii, your only remedy is to start negotiations and demand that they leave. If they don't, they'll have to declare war (unless you are in cease-fire). If you have important tiles that they seem eager to step on, then, yes, you'll have to station units on them. If you're at peace, you could just use freight to sit on the tiles. They won't cause unhappiness, and the enemy will be forced to declare war to move them.

The real remedy is just to be big and powerful enough that the AI can't get close to many of your cities. Hence, why I recommended checking out the succession games. They'll give you an idea of what is possible, and how to achieve it.
You did not get it - my problem is NOT military units, my problem is THE SPIES. They do not give me time to go negoriations, they just appear in the field of view and next moment they enter cities! That's my proble,. they also do it on their TURN. What can I do to PREVENT SPIES from entering my cities? Please?

Diplomats and Spies stationed in cities have a chance to thwart "steal technology" attempts by enemy diplomats/spies (message: "espionage attempt foiled..." ). Diplomat (or veteran diplomat) has a 20% chance to do so per attempt, spy have 40%, veteran spy 60%.
This feature is cumulated: for example, chance to steal with one diplomat in the city is 0.8 (100%-20%=80%), with one vet spy is 0.4. Therefore, the chance to steal is 12.8% (0.128=0.8*0.4*0.4) if one dip and two vet spies are in the city.
See 7.2

You did not get it - my problem is NOT military units, my problem is THE SPIES. They do not give me time to go negoriations, they just appear in the field of view and next moment they enter cities! That's my proble,. they also do it on their TURN. What can I do to PREVENT SPIES from entering my cities? Please?

In addition to reducing the odds of technology theft with your own spies, you can place units (even caravans) around your cities so there are no gaps to pass through. For coastal cities, you may need transports. You can also reduce the amount of railroads you build. If the diplomats or spies have to spend movement going around your units, they can't penetrate as far into your territory. Diplomats can only steal a tech once from any individual city, so your border cities may be safe is some espionage has occurred already.

Beyond FoxAhead's advice, I don't think there is any particularly good solution, other than getting far enough ahead to punish the AI when they do use diplomats against you.

I think one picture is clearer than a thousand words.

maxresdefault.jpg

I will try to illustrate what Prof. Garfield:

A Babylonian spy tries to attack he city of the Romans.
Romans Spies (cost 30 shields in the original game) completely encircle the city, preventing any overland infiltration attempts. Passage by sea closes transport. Thus, the AI has no way to get its units to your city. He is completely protected.

Top Bottom