Help on Diplo Wins?

Thanks for this comprehensive list. :)

A couple minor corrections/additions:

1) I think I've seen "years of peace" at +2 and "Open Borders" at +3.

2) I've seen "you have wisely chosen your civics" at +5, or maybe even +7 (with Ghandi, after my civics exactly matched his). Some leaders seem to care about civic choices more than others.

3) Mutual military struggle can be as high as +4. (In Earth 1000AD scenario, where everybody is at war with Byzantines and Vikings for the whole game.) I guess it's affected by number of wars, as well as duration.

4) I've sometimes had "years you've supplied us with resources" bonus with what I considered to be fair trades. Maybe AI values resources differently than I do.

5) Defensive pact gives +1 (maybe higher with time) to your partner and -1 for all of their "enemies" (possibly same definition of "enemy" as all other deals). I never tried permanent alliances, but I suspect it would have a similar effect.

6) About religious modifiers, I've heard that they are related to how widespread various religions are within AI empires. This would explian why this modifier is always high for theocracies and much lower for civs with multiple religions in their cities.

4) I've sometimes had "years you've supplied us with resources" bonus with what I considered to be fair trades. Maybe AI values resources differently than I do.

Yeah I know you can get that if you just trade resource for resource. What I'm not sure about is if the modifier builds faster if you are giving them more resources.

Defensive Pacts definitely give you a negative modifier to all other civs regardless of how they feel about either of you. In one game I had a Friendly Triangle with myself, Mansa Musa and Roosevelt; I signed a DP with Mansa Musa and got the -2 modifier for "signing a Defensive Pact with our rivals!" with FDR, even though FDR was Friendly toward MM (and a few turns later signed a DP with him as well.)

With religion, I think it depends on how the other leaderheads value relgion (I suspect that a lot of the diplomatic modifiers hinge on this but can't prove it.) Isabella *always* has a -4 heathen modifier with me the instant I adopt a religion different from hers. With civics I *think* it only matters if you and they are both in his "favorite civic." This is usually the biggest jump that you can get quickly; it seems to be always around +5 for anybody.

Shillen said:
"You razed one of our cities!" - I think this is just -1 no matter how many cities you raze but I"m not sure about this one either.
In my GotM I had this at -7 with a certain civ. Also you forgot the obvious nuke penalty. Although I never used nukes myself, i saw a screenshot with a -27 "you nuked one of our cities" penalty. Other civs will probably not like you for it either...

Personally, I'm disappointed that there is no "you liberated one of our cities" bonus. Liberating a city seems to go into the "Our trade relations have been fair and forthright" category, which means there is no point liberating if you're already at +4.

Ah yeah. I've never used a nuke. I'm sure there are others I've missed as well. My games tend to end before modern warfare comes about. It wasn't really meant to be a comprehensive guide. I wrote that post in 3 minutes. :)

AI leaders with the spiritual trait seems to care more about your faith, which would make a lot of sense.
Does anyone know if the other traits might affect how quickly modifiers change? Like financial civs caring more about trade relations being fair and fortright, and expansive civs caring more about being supplied with health resources, and organized civs caring more about your civics, or somesuch?
Would be rather cool if this was the case.

Well, I finally got my first Diplo win. And I did it with Arabia, via a game-long alliance with America based on our common Jewish heritage. Civ is just too damn funny some times.

Some observations:
Religion is the KEY. by the time the vote came around my "brothers and sisters" bonus with America was +8. That's the biggest single bonus i've ever seen.

Pangaea map really helps with spreading religion, with some open borders you can infect the whole world without using ships, which takes forever.

If you sign a defensive pact, even their friends will get mad at you... unless you sign one with them too.

One thing that was crippling me was, I generally refuse on principle to trade or gift any tech that leads directly to a new, powerful unit. Arming my really close friends and bribing them into war with the outsiders=great way to gain land and votes for your coalition.

Civics changes only seem to help when you adopt that leaders "Favorite Civic" matching up the others didn't seem to help

Mega-Thanks to everyone who helped out, I think we have the definitive thread on this topic.

3 Victories down, 2 to go!

Corlindale said:
AI leaders with the spiritual trait seems to care more about your faith, which would make a lot of sense.
Does anyone know if the other traits might affect how quickly modifiers change? Like financial civs caring more about trade relations being fair and fortright, and expansive civs caring more about being supplied with health resources, and organized civs caring more about your civics, or somesuch?
Would be rather cool if this was the case.

Well, I know in every game i've played against Isabella, she's eventually come knocking demanding that I convert to her religion, and i usually knuckle under (although as Monty I have a strong urge to tell her to get bent no matter what she says). And the BSOF bonus does seem to go up faster than with other civs.

FWIW
PerpMo

Edit: there may be something to the Organized/Civics connection too. Playing "against" Washington, as soon as I switched to Universal Suffrage, I instantly got a +5 Wisely Chosen Civics bonus. I've never seen it go up that fast before.

Edit 2: Off topic, but why is Washington's favorite civic Universal Suffrage? He owned slaves. He also helped forge the world's first representative democracy. Should be Representation. anyway...

I often get a "Our close borders spark tension" rated from -1 to -3. Particularly in my current game where Louis has a peninsula of land running between the heartland of my empire and Cathy's.

Of course, it didn't seem to create to much tension between them, when the buggers declared war on me within 3 turns of each other.

I've gotten +8 due to religion before when playing as America early in a game on Emperor. That's fairly uncommon though, in my experience.

Top Bottom