Help with understanding 2D art in custom civ

lizizaid

Chieftain
Hey there!
Im new to modding, and ive been playing around with modbuddy trying to create my first custom civ. Im pretty sure by now how I want the logical side of things in my mod to go, however ive been strugling a bit with making the art files work. Im using maconnollys' modbuudy template which is great and really helped me understand the fundmentals, but there is not a whole lot of info there about the art files (talking about the leader screens, the icons etc.), so I have a few questions:

1. BLP files - how do I create them, and are they mandatory? From my understanding, these are "cooked" from the XLP files - im not an artist so I assumed "cooked" meant that they will be created after compiling my mod, however the finished mod does not seem to have a BLP's folder. Do I have to take any specific actions in the Asset Editor to make sure BLP's are created?

2. In modBuddy, do I REALLY have to add every single .dds and .tex file to the "import files" action? modBuddy does not seem to allow adding multiple files in one go, or even copy-pasting the action from the front end to the in game section, and it's just a tad soulcrashing to add every single file one after the other twice like that. I looked at some .modinfo files in other existing mods - in some they did upload every file from the textures folder, while in others they only uploaded the BLP files - so what is the right choice here?

3. Less important question, but is it possible to organize the textures folder into subfolders (i.e. a folder for leaders, units, buildings) ive tried doing so, and while it seems to work ok in game, modBuddy screamed a bunch of scary errors at me for attempting this. Im asking to make sure that during the compiling process modBuddy doesnt look for something specific inside the textures folder.

Thanks a lot in advance!

You may take a look at Sailor Cat’s new tutorial, i guess it is like it would have been made for you.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/icons-and-leader-images.668308/
Hey! Thanks a lot for the reply.
So I worked through this tutorial and did everything, however when I build the mod I still dont see any BLP files created, and when I run it the game does not recognize any art files (question mark for civ icon or default Teddy for leader) so I have to assume BLPs are supposed to be created for this method to work. ModBuddy does give me this message when cooking the XLPs: "Could not load digest key: ''. Using mod key to sign BLP." I dont know if thats a problem or not. Do you have an idea on what to do here, or should I leave a message in steam to the guy who did the tutorial?

It is purely guessing, but i could imagine that your problem has something to do with the key in your art.xml file. Maybe that key is not correct, you could check that by creating a new modbuddy project, and use the art.xml file from that new modbuddy project and actually use the newly created project and import your files again.

But i think Sailor Cat can help you better, why not leave him/her a comment on that tutorial-thread with your question :)

It is purely guessing, but i could imagine that your problem has something to do with the key in your art.xml file. Maybe that key is not correct, you could check that by creating a new modbuddy project, and use the art.xml file from that new modbuddy project and actually use the newly created project and import your files again.

But i think Sailor Cat can help you better, why not leave him/her a comment on that tutorial-thread with your question :)
Alright then, thanks alot again for all your help!

Top Bottom