Help

notgoodwithcomp

Chieftain
I'm having some strategy problems playing Civ:Rev.

I'm a veteran Civ player in general, having grown up with Civ 2 and been obsessed with Civ 4. I haven't played Civ:Rev that long. I feel like it was almost a negative for me to be so familiar with Civ 4 before starting to play Civ Rev.

I played my first time on the second difficulty level. By the time I won age I had 10+ of my own civ's cities, out of which 8 were in the top 10. All but a couple of the worlds wonders. I had armies of ninja tanks when my enemies still had knights. I was winning culture by 3 times the second place, and I had enough gold for the world bank.

I'm not saying this to draw praise, I know thats not special at all. Instead, I'm wondering what happens when I go to King. I have always played a very expansion oriented early game, focusing more on culture and economy and tech than domination. I build my capitol, get warriors to scout and kill almost all barbarians. Get some settlers and build a growth city and a trade city, just like everyone says. Each city has two armies of fortified archers. Good to go right?

Thats when everyone decides to ask me for my best tech and for my great people. Usually all four enemies within a turn or two. I don't want to give tech or over half of my gold away to just one enemy, so I refuse. Even times that I have given in, they ask again in a few turns. So then they send in a million legion armies and park them all around my cities, choking their resources, and keeping me from being able to move my settlers out to expand.

I feel like there must be some aspect of Civ:Rev that I'm missing, if I can win the second difficulty by an uncontested landslide, and I can't get to the mideval age without my cities being surrounded on all squares by 4 angry civs.

Am I expanding too far too quickly? Do I need more troops to deter war? Should I keep giving away my horsehocky?

You need a good offensive army in your city to prevent armies from camping around you. Legions have low defense so any offensive armies should work.
It also helps to build your cities on hills so you'll get the 50% bonus when you do this.

Once you let them surround you like that, you've already lost that city or cities. Go for a tech lead and build the best offensive units you can and fight your way out. The other civs will eventually sue for peace when you start winning. I usually let all but one off the hook and take him down just to set an example.

I'm having some strategy problems playing Civ:Rev.

ask again in a few turns. So then they send in a million legion armies and park them all around my cities, choking their resources, and keeping me from being able to move my settlers out to expand.

I feel like there must be some aspect of Civ:Rev that I'm missing, if I can win the second difficulty by an uncontested landslide, and I can't get to the mideval age without my cities being surrounded on all squares by 4 angry civs.

Am I expanding too far too quickly? Do I need more troops to deter war? Should I keep giving away my horsehocky?

What you should do and that is not too hard or expensive is to research mathematics, then build 1-3 (depending on enemy strength) catapults in your border cities where the enemy swarms in. The benefit of catapults vs other early offensive units is that they don't automatically move into the empty tile after you have killed the enemy unit, i.e. not leaving them open for attack as with legions. An upgraded catapult (army) can kill up to 3 enemy units per turn. This is all you need to do and you'll keep on growing your cities and focusing on your expansion.

Of course, you can also station an archer army and a catapult army on choke points to block of attackers already outside your cities, but it is not always easy to transport your units out to the choke points and it is not always possible to find choke points between yourself and your enemy.

Good luck.

Thanks guys.

I guess I wasn't really used to the diplomacy of CivRev. I'm used to Civ4 where the ai isn't as aggressive when I'm strong.

I played today as the Russians. I used catapults to defeat the first wave of war declarations, kept my cities fortified, and focused on tech.

Once I got to a certain point it just became ridiculously easy again, like playing on chieftain. It just those first 30-40 turns that get a little dicey.

Thanks for the help, I'll try emperor next.

Top Bottom