How are DPs selected?

How are DPs selected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Black_Hole

Deity
How are DPs selected?

Options:
  • President decides(This was done in DG5)
  • Follow a pre-defined Chain of Command
  • Separately elected position (President organizes)
  • Other
  • Abstain

Discussion

Note: Open for 5 days.

Chain of Command. I don't like the idea of electing someone just to play the game. That's what we have the President for! What else does the Pres really have to do besides make a few appointments?

Some may find it elitist, but the top officeholders should be charged with playing the save in the President's absence. Accountability remains at the top, where it should be.

Donovan Zoi said:
Chain of Command. I don't like the idea of electing someone just to play the game. That's what we have the President for! What else does the Pres really have to do besides make a few appointments?

Some may find it elitist, but the top officeholders should be charged with playing the save in the President's absence. Accountability remains at the top, where it should be.
but with our move to conquests we need to allow non conquest holders to be in charge of the government

My full support goes to the separately elected position idea. There is nothing keeping the people from electing the same people as would be selected by a CoC, unless those office holders don't want to be DP -- and it's better to know that in advance anyway.. Making DP an elected position would allow someone to run for President who wants to lead discussions and guide our nation's strategic direction without having to be locked into the expectation of playing the game all the time.

Seperate position. We're switching to a version of Civ that not everyone has. Being the President is more than just being the primary DP - it's being the leader with a global focus, that keeps everyone moving in the same direction.

-- Ravensfire

I enjoy the idea of having the DP be seperately elected, but I see one major problem with it: simply being the DP would be an extremely thankless position. We'd be taking away the positives of being the president (authority, appointments, CoC) and keeping all the negetives (following orders, running Turnchats, getting CC'ed if anything goes wrong). I really can't see how people would want to run for that position. Thus, I'm forced to say that the DP needs to be the president. Keep the Chain of Command we've always used.

Ash, you'd be surprised.

The DP puts their indelible stamp on the game. For that brief period of time, they are in charge of the game. Yup - you're severely limited, but it's still fun to do.

Now, our desire to play on the larger maps does limit that fun in the later terms, as the pre-turn updates and massive worker demands, troop movement, etc

Still, I'm confident that we'd always have several DP's to choose from.

-- Ravensfire

I wouldn't be so sure of that, ravensfire. We can look at the past Demogame, where the position of President went uncontested, I believe, three times. If that was an office offering the perks of being President along with being the DP, how many people are going to be running for a position without the benefits of the Presidency and all the responsibility of the DP?

If there are people like that, then I guess we're fine. But I have to question how many people really want a job like that.

Ashburnham said:
I wouldn't be so sure of that, ravensfire. We can look at the past Demogame, where the position of President went uncontested, I believe, three times. If that was an office offering the perks of being President along with being the DP, how many people are going to be running for a position without the benefits of the Presidency and all the responsibility of the DP?

If there are people like that, then I guess we're fine. But I have to question how many people really want a job like that.

This is actually a very interesting point of view. There have been times in the past when we've had people holding relatively lower offices like Trade and Science, saying they wish the President would schedule a turnchat and then not show up so they could have the chance to play.

It appears I have not made the benefits of the separate DP list clearly enough. Wouldn't it be cool to play just one or two TC a month without having to plan in advance to be available for playing 8-10 times? In the later game, we could have daily play sessions of just 1-2 turns each, again rippling through a long list of potential DPs.

Dumb question by an innocent bystander:

If we decide to let the President pick the DP (or DPs) can he (or she) pick him (or her) self?

donsig said:
Dumb question by an innocent bystander:

If we decide to let the President pick the DP (or DPs) can he (or she) pick him (or her) self?
its basically that the president makes the CoC, so he/she could technically put anyone in it...

I entrust the CoC for the selection of how the DPs are selected.

The CoC keeps things above board and more in line with the WOTP.

Top Bottom