How can I fix pcx files to make a mod?

amstg

Chieftain
Hi.

I tried to change the leaderheads file as a certain politician to make a mod

but I've failed because I couldn't get how how to fix the file to another picture

Is there any way I can get help?

Moderator Action: Moved to the Creation and Customization forum as these people know how to help. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
First make sure you are working with the PCX (static image) and not the flics (animated file). Second, make sure the image you want to use is the proper size and indexed (palette set up to match what C3 expects). Third, copy the original file and rename the duplicate so you preserve the original. Fourth, rename a copy of your new file to exactly match the name of the old file and place it in same folder.

That should make your new image appear in the mod instead of the original image. If you have any trouble with those steps ask. Be sure to give as much specific information as you can about what you did and what the result was. That way we can give you the best help.

amstg... it is simple to make single frame leaderheads. you can also use the same procedures for making Flag Leaderheads
You do also need to have a Graphics Editor if you need to reduce colors to make a correct palette. Animation Shop is free and although I use Paint Shop Pro with the Tutorial, there are other free Graphics Editors such as Gimp.

First make sure you are working with the PCX (static image) and not the flics (animated file). Second, make sure the image you want to use is the proper size and indexed (palette set up to match what C3 expects). Third, copy the original file and rename the duplicate so you preserve the original. Fourth, rename a copy of your new file to exactly match the name of the old file and place it in same folder.

That should make your new image appear in the mod instead of the original image. If you have any trouble with those steps ask. Be sure to give as much specific information as you can about what you did and what the result was. That way we can give you the best help.

oh. I've followed your advise and it perfectly worked. Thank you very much xD

Now I'll be working on smallheads

amstg, here is a very good tutorial done by Vuldacon how to do single frame leaderhead flics. You need the software Animation Shop for creating such single frame leaderheads: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/how-to-make-a-single-frame-leaderhead.14914/

Here is a tutorial for doing advisors_all flags that fit in the game (the circular icons in the foreign advisor screen), using Paint Shop Pro :
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/leaderheads_all-creation-wizard.462039/

Thanks very much. I've read the tutorial you post and I could solve my problem.

Can I also get an advise about modifying smallheads? I wanna modify advisors' heads also.

Aww.....I successfully modified the very first picture (I mean, the first leaderhead when I start the new game), but I still have problem with things in art/advisors folder.

스크린샷(3599).png

I wanted to modify the face inside the circle
스크린샷(3600).png

So I tried to just copy&paste but it's still not working in in-game.

Is there any format for this?

amstg... What seem to look OK outside the Game can have Palette Problems.
Make sure you have the last two Palette Slots set for Transparency. This generally is two colors that are not in the Image... this is the Reason for Using Magenta 255, 0, 255 and Green 0, 255, 0.
When you copied and pasted, did you simple use the same existing palette? IF so, check to see that the palette saved correctly with the file.

amstg... What seem to look OK outside the Game can have Palette Problems.
Make sure you have the last two Palette Slots set for Transparency. This generally is two colors that are not in the Image... this is the Reason for Using Magenta 255, 0, 255 and Green 0, 255, 0.
When you copied and pasted, did you simple use the same existing palette? IF so, check to see that the palette saved correctly with the file.

The palette is ok but still have problem with files in advisors folder

Could u plz let me know how can I make that file contains 12 small heads?

amstg... I believe you are talking about the Leaders in the Advisors Folder that show 4 each for Happy, Normal and Angry images = 12.

I cannot know what the problem is or what exactly you want to know without seeing one of the files that is not working in Game.
Upload one of the files and I will take a look at what is causing the problem.

amstg... I believe you are talking about the Leaders in the Advisors Folder that show 4 each for Happy, Normal and Angry images = 12.

I cannot know what the problem is or what exactly you want to know without seeing one of the files that is not working in Game.
Upload one of the files and I will take a look at what is causing the problem.

Yeap. I'm talking about that files. Thank you for your kindness... I tried to modify BS_all.pcx file (the original one) to BS_all(2).jpg file. I changed the extention 'jpg' to 'pcx' in my computer, but when I upload it here it just becomes jpg file.

What I want is to change the hitler's face to another one. Is there any way?

Attachments

• BS_all.pcx
    94.8 KB · Views: 101
  • BS_all(2).jpg
    BS_all(2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 101
What Graphics Program are you using?
Yes there is a way to MOD or change almost everything.

Upload what you want to do and the file you are trying to use... Just Not easy to evaluate what you are doing or the end result from what ever you applied.

I can easily Help you but I need the Files you are working with.

...I am sure it is a Palette Problem.

I also need to know what Graphics Program you are using.

It is ALWAYS VERY Important to state EXACTLY All Factors to get help because the problem can be Many areas.

I understand what you are wanting to do but I need what you have done to evaluate the situation... then I can Help you.

If you Upload the image you want to Use and the file you are using... I can make that work but that will Not Help you... Just Upload what you want (the Image) and what file you are using to copy and paste.

It really is Not difficult... it is just not knowing the simple task to accomplish what you want.

I'm using Jasc animation shop (it's written as 'animation shop 3'), as your tutorial told me.

Here's the file I want to use and the another one is original file

And I also want to modify the advisors face in Smallheads folder, such as popupCULTURE and etc (all 6)

But I'll use different faces to that files... So please teach me how, if possible.

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 77
  • BS_all.pcx
    94.8 KB · Views: 94
amstg... you also need a Graphics Program such as Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, etc...
For the Image you want to place. You need to first make all 16 million colors, resize it to fit inside the circle then place it in the Circle as wanted then copy to all.
Then change the background color to a color found in the image such as the Skin Color to replace the Magenta Background color.
Place a pure Magenta and Green pixel color on the file.
Reduce colors to 256.
Remove the Magenta and Green colors by changing them to the existing background color.
Increase colors to 16 million colors then Reduce colors to 256.
The Palette will have 254 colors with the last two colors on the palette being Black or Blank.
You add the Magenta and Green colors back to the Palette at the end for transparency.

Here is the Leaderhead from your image and I included other Leaderhead Templates if you can use them on the other images for the game.

Attachments

• Leaderhead.zip
    29.6 KB · Views: 78
amstg... you also need a Graphics Program such as Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, etc...
For the Image you want to place. You need to first make all 16 million colors, resize it to fit inside the circle then place it in the Circle as wanted then copy to all.
Then change the background color to a color found in the image such as the Skin Color to replace the Magenta Background color.
Place a pure Magenta and Green pixel color on the file.
Reduce colors to 256.
Remove the Magenta and Green colors by changing them to the existing background color.
Increase colors to 16 million colors then Reduce colors to 256.
The Palette will have 254 colors with the last two colors on the palette being Black or Blank.
You add the Magenta and Green colors back to the Palette at the end for transparency.

Here is the Leaderhead from your image and I included other Leaderhead Templates if you can use them on the other images for the game.

OMG it works perfectly. Thank you so much!!! I'll try next time if I have chance.

Is there any template for the advisors also? I mean these files

Attachments

• popupSCIENCE.pcx
    207.1 KB · Views: 98
  • popupFOREIGN.pcx
    124.6 KB · Views: 114
  • popupTRADE.pcx
    123.9 KB · Views: 108
  • popupDOMESTIC.pcx
    130.6 KB · Views: 99
  • popupMILITARY.pcx
    126.2 KB · Views: 99
  • popupCULTURE.pcx
    136.8 KB · Views: 105
amstg... You can use any one of those files as a template, paint out the images, change the Colors to 16 million and add the new images you want to them.
Make a New Palette and save as any of the Original Named files.

Here are a few templates you can use for the Leaderheads Folder images.
You can also make the Leaders in a Circle rather than a Rectangle if wanted.
I did this for EFZI2. You can use any of the files I made for that game to help you make what you want

Attachments

• Leaderhead Templates.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 117
Ok....now this is confusing. I asked for an advisors template And i got answers about leaders file....:(

The file you uploaded is just the same with the previous thing.

Is there any template for foreign, domestic, military and etc advisors?

And Thank you for your generous help

amstg... You can use any one of those files as a template, paint out the images, change the Colors to 16 million and add the new images you want to them.
Make a New Palette and save as any of the Original Named files.

Here are a few templates you can use for the Leaderheads Folder images.
You can also make the Leaders in a Circle rather than a Rectangle if wanted.
I did this for EFZI2. You can use any of the files I made for that game to help you make what you want

Top Bottom