How do I get rid of nuclear plants already built in my cities?

egaonogenki

Warlord
I thought building the 3 Gorges Dam (thereby giving power to every city on the continent) canceled the need for existing nuclear power plants to operate in the first place.
The city of Brattahlid just suffered a nuclear meltdown in 1668, and I haven't discovered Ecology yet so the fallout has to stay until I discover it and can scrub the fallout as a result.
To prevent anymore nuclear meltdowns, I'd like to get rid of / sell all of my existing nuclear plants, so I wonder how I can do that. Thanks.

You can't, at least not without either letting the city get conquered by another civ or getting the building destroyed by an enemy spy. It shouldn't be necessary, either. As far as I know building TGD should cancel the chance of a nuclear meltdown. IIRC a coal plant will no longer generate :yuck: if you get another source or power (hydro, nuke or TGD) since that effectively shuts down the coal plant, so I don't see why the same wouldn't be true for a nuclear plant that's obsoleted by TGD. I suppose you can try to cut off your source of Uranium? Nuclear plants definitely shouldn't work without a uranium resource, which should negate the chance for a meltdown.

Why did you build the nuke plant in the first place? Don’t do that – unless you’re in the odd situation of having no Coal but having Uranium. Coal plants are cheaper and Coal just creates unhealth. Coal is better. Beautiful, clean coal :crazyeye:

Sometimes you get stuck with a nuke plant that the AI built when you capture it, which you can’t do much about, admittedly.

I remember in Civ 2 that we used to be able to sell buildings. (Did we also in Civ 3? I don't remember there.) So why did the devs take away that ability in Civ IV?

And are we stuck with unsellable buildings in Civs V and VI too???

Last edited:
Not sure why the devs removed that feature, but if I had to guess either because there shouldn't be any need to (the only building that's actively detrimental with no benefits is an obsoleted nuclear power plant, and it having a chance to meltdown even when obsoleted honestly feels like a bug since old coal power plants will shut down just fine), or because being able to sell buildings would make warfare far too profitable since you could sell all of the useless buildings that you conquer. Most get destroyed, sure, but you can still capture at least some, and being able to easily convert those :hammers: into :gold: would make warfare even more profitable than it already is.

Yeah, capture whip the population, sell the buildings, then gift them back. I remember in earlier versions, selling the buildings then disbanding them.

Top Bottom