how do you compare civ3 to the game Risk?

davidcrazy

Warlord
maybe someone brought up this question before.. please bear with me.
i was just introduced to the game risk a few days ago for the first time and it also seems to be quite interstig. and the friend who taught me that game doesn't know civ3 before. and he seemed to be a little annoyed by my constant reference to the civ3 game whenever he introduced a new concept in the risk game. :)

i just want to know whether civ3 originated from risk? and how do you like these games?

I suppose Risk might be considered a precursor of the Civ games. In the same sense that a wooden-wheeled oxcart is precursor of a Ferrari.

Civ 3 is about a million times better than Risk, give or take a time or two. Civ 3 might have grown out of Risk, but I don't know.

Ive never played Risk but I guessed there was some base similarities, is there a computer game version of it?

Risk is nothing like Civilization III. Risk is a global domination type board game and Civilization III is a in-depth computer strategy game. I don't think Civilization III evolved from Risk. Risk is still a great game, though.

I suppose Risk might be considered a precursor of the Civ games. In the same sense that a wooden-wheeled oxcart is precursor of a Ferrari.

The original Civ was supposed to be a take-off of Sim City...

They are similar, in that they are multiplayer global domination turn based strategy games with simple combat systems based on dice roles. They both have a concept of land ownership and units, as well...

but that's about all of the similarity. There is no notion of land management in risk, just occupation in order to produce units. There is not really any diversity in units. The connectivity of the world is not tile based but region based, as well.

I guess you could create all sorts of over-the-table diplomacy like war, peace treaties, military aliances, MPP's, etc..

Civ is definitely more fun to play, though I must say the civ multiplayer is lacking. Why is there so much lag playing someone on the same LAN? /cry. I guess playing hotseat civ with several people would be equivalent to playing a board game, though, since you can't take turns at the same time in either case.

I would guess that the civilization board game is closer to civilization the video game than risk is, though I've never played the civilization board game.

Sid mentioned in the "making-of" movie that he got the idea for Civ from Risk, SimCity, and the original Civ board game.

Originally posted by CivCube
Sid mentioned in the "making-of" movie that he got the idea for Civ from Risk, SimCity, and the original Civ board game.

What was the original Civ board game?

I used to play a lot of risk. After Civ, it's incredibly (and annoyingly) simple, but there's a lot to be said for simple games sometimes, and Risk has a lot of gameplay and the capacity for players to follow different strategies. We had one guy who used to just sit in 3 or 4 territories for almost the entire game skipping his turn and building up armies, and then near the end he'd go on a rampage across the board. Others would work steadily towards their missions from the very beginning.

Anyone ever play Diplomacy? Now that is a genius board game - even simpler than risk, but with amazingly deep gameplay.

Originally posted by homeyg
What was the original Civ board game?

the civ board game i own (there are several versions) from 1980 is basically the 'ancient era' of the civ video series.
it has a mediterranian map, divided in regions. there are settlers, units + ships. there are up to 7 players. everything you do in civ3 is in the board game, too, but it is arranged in phases: tax collection, population zensus, movements, conflicts, city founding, trade, science, plagues.
it's quite nice, but rules are complicated; we needed 3 sessions to get the population count and city founding rules right. but it was fun for sure.
sorry, i cannot post a scan of the box.

civ board game is obviously a true predecessor of civ1-2-3.

In the senior design class I taught last year, a group of students wrote the game RISQ using Java, it was quite impressive.

Risk is good, and it's basically just a very very very very simple (and addictive) version of Civ3, but came first.

Originally posted by wilbill

I think the first person to reply summed it up the best. It's still a great game though, just for much MUCH different reasons.

Originally posted by bluebox
the civ board game i own (there are several versions) from 1980 is basically the 'ancient era' of the civ video series.
it has a mediterranian map, divided in regions. there are settlers, units + ships. there are up to 7 players. everything you do in civ3 is in the board game, too, but it is arranged in phases: tax collection, population zensus, movements, conflicts, city founding, trade, science, plagues.
it's quite nice, but rules are complicated; we needed 3 sessions to get the population count and city founding rules right. but it was fun for sure.
sorry, i cannot post a scan of the box.

civ board game is obviously a true predecessor of civ1-2-3.

Is it still sold anywhere? That would be cool if you could still buy it...

Out of print for years, but you can find it if you look around.

Originally posted by warpstorm
Out of print for years, but you can find it if you look around.

Any sites that you would recommend to look? Sorry if I'm going off topic or being annoying...:rolleyes:

In this case, I like to compare civ 3 to a finished jigsaw puzzle. Risk is just a tiny piece of civ 3. Risk got the turn based style and the warfare part of the game down. But civ 3 has other pieces that could not have possibly come from risk. This include diplomacy, culture, citizens (moods and such), economy and much much more. I think that risk is as big of a puzzle in civ 3 as a 9th grade history book.

Originally posted by homeyg
Any sites that you would recommend to look? Sorry if I'm going off topic or being annoying...:rolleyes:
ebay has several at various prices. And I'm sure various conditions. From retailers mostly, not auction.
@ general_kill - There was a "Diplomacy" board game many years ago. I suspect some of the Civ diplomacy was based loosely on that game.

No, the one on Amazon is not the original game. You are looking for the out of print Avalon Hill game. Not the Eagle Games version.

Top Bottom