How do you do war between players?

unundindur

Chieftain
Hi. I have played quite a bit multiplayer with friends and the AI, and I was just wondering how you go about player vs. player wars.

As I have understood, there is no turn-order, so its pretty much first-click-advantage, and fastest computer gets the advantage. Is this right, and is it problematic?

The reason for the question is that we so far have not waged war against each other due to this, and I am thinking about trying it :)

There are many differences between person v person combat and ai v person combat. The fact that both persons are smarter than the ai is one, another difference is simultaneous turns. One tip I would give you is to immediately fortify all your units which might be attacked at the beginning of the turn. Simultaneous turns is not too bad once you get the hang of it.

I have recorded some videos of my games (link is in signature). I would like to say that these games are NOT typical multiplayer games however, they are highly competitive ranked games. In the games I use more taboo moves such as double moves (end of one turn, start of next) which you do not find in average multiplayer games.

Just go attack someone and see how it goes :D

*double move
You wait until there is just a few seconds of the turn timer left. then you move a bunch of units the last seconds of the turn, then you move at the beginning eof the next turn. An example of this would be for example moving in with a scout at the end of a turn. then pillaging something at the beggining of the next turn and move out. all wthin a couple of seconds. another would be if you see a catapult you can t reeach within the same turn. If you move when it s plenty of time left of the turn timer to get in range the following turn that would give the other player plenty of time to move the catapult or kill your unit. If u move the last second he wont have time to.

Simultaneous moves make MP terrible

I wouldnt say that since one can argue that not simultanious moves also would make MP terrible. Imagine this scenario. You get attacked by another player. He has his turn before you. Now he got pyramids some workers at the front and crossbows and knights. Now you can just watch how he moves in with workes and construct road the same turn. When the roads are done he starts moving in crossbows and fires followed up with knights. During his turn you can just sit and watch as your whole army dies without beeing able to do anything about it.

IN the WORST caste, that is if you are really really slow and your opponent is really really fast simultanious moves are as bad as moving after your opponent when beeing under attack. That is he moves first, then you move with whats left of your army.

The only drawback is the double move so I can agree a quick fix and mabye a good one too would be having a timer set on units moved the last 10 seconds of one turn so that they can t move the first 10 seconds of the next.

I think what he meant was unit based turn by turn, i.e. I spend all movement point of one unit, then the opponent does the same, then again me etc

this would make multiplayer much better imho

this would make multiplayer much better imho

Maybe. In this case, i want to be the first to move ;). Try hotseat with GMR, it's working great!

Games are much longer with each guy playing their turn. Simultaneous turns make internet games playable in a couple of hours only.

Top Bottom