How does the AI decide where to send diplomats?

VampireSeraphin

Chieftain
How does the AI decide where to send diplomats? I've repeatedly watched it send great diplomats and emissaries halfway across the world when there are neutral city states within a few tiles of them.

Why does it choose to do that? What factors are leading it to conclude that that choice is better than sending them to city states that are easier to reach/defend/help secure their borders?

I often send my early Great Diplomats across the world to get embassies. My thinking is I will have it easier with embassies later since they will be close by. Although at the rate I tend to get Great Diplomats it probably makes no difference.

How does the AI decide where to send diplomats? I've repeatedly watched it send great diplomats and emissaries halfway across the world when there are neutral city states within a few tiles of them.

Why does it choose to do that? What factors are leading it to conclude that that choice is better than sending them to city states that are easier to reach/defend/help secure their borders?

I'd like to know this, too. I've had more than one recent game where I'd find two or three diplomats parked together somewhere, not sure where to go. Or like the OP said, taking off around the globe when a perfectly vulnerable CS is ten hexes away.

I just stopped setting them on autoexplore. Manual targeting is much more effective. But is there anything special to know about the AI pathing here?

Any feedback on this?

I've also noticed that the AI sending diplomats across the world and past nearby neutral CS to swipe allied CS from other players.

Any feedback on this?

I've also noticed that the AI sending diplomats across the world and past nearby neutral CS to swipe allied CS from other players.

Main devs are in vacation this week and the next one. I advise to come back later.

The AI's Great Diplomat spamming is absurdly out of control.

I'll have to zap them with IGE.

Maybe, they're that smart. Knowing that +8 faith/culture/science isn't that important to them, but they know how important an ally is to the player. They'll try and stop the player from forming city-state alliances. ;)

Top Bottom