1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How Far Do You Get in Your Games with the Counter? II

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Sarisin, Jan 9, 2009.

?

I know this might be tough to answer as some games that counter moves right along, ot

1. Never Get to Blight

23 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Blight

34 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. One or More Horsemen

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  4. AC 90 - Hell Holes or Whatever They Are

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. AC 100 - Armageddon

6 vote(s)
    6.4%
  1. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

No matter my alignment I often found AV myself so I can sit on it and not allow it to spread. Most AC in those games comes from the prophecy of ragnarok, which takes a long time to show up.

2. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I use that strategy too. Often I get a Savant from a lair and found AV in my second city long before anyone else gets it and I never adopt it or spread it.

I try to build the Prophecy of Ragnarok in a city I don't plan to use to produce units. It gets the Great Prophet pts, and doesn't raise the AC.

3. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

If you found AV really early with a rescued savant, you risk it passive spreading to a civ with no state religion yet, at which point it adopts AV and makes an effort to spread it - enjoy your hell.

I try to wait until everyone's nice and evangelized, then grab corruption of spirit, usually in 1 or 2 turns. There's little chance of passive spread because it can only happen to cities that have no religions in them, and if it does happen it likely won't matter. Course, sometimes this blows up in my face if someone like Os-Gabella, Tebryn or Keelyn guns it for AV and founds it before I'd dare even try.

4. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

I have NEVER had a problem with the armageedon counter. Not once have I had to deal with even blight. And I've played 50 or so games since .30 =P
    Still asking myself why havent I caused it myself yet.

5. Lade

Lade Prince

The only time I've ever got the AC to 100 was a game as the Illians, since I had given Drifia "war"

While the dragon/three priests of winter were owning everyone on my continent, Mulcarn was over seas. When it hit, Mulcarn had stretches of Land to conquer, killing an entire continent, while the last civ on my cont got wiped out by barbs

Other then that though, I usually play good civs (though never the Elohim) and occasionally neutral, so it usually doesn't go far past blight, rarely reaching the first horsemen

Of course, playing with the Order its tempting to cause the first horsemen to come so you can get the crown and all 4 command promotions for a very nice convert rate

6. phoulishwan

phoulishwan Warlord

Being an aggresive player myself I generally tend to go to war more often than I can afford and therefore raze many cities, I add my share of points to the counter! Most games I'll get blight, but only when I want to bring the horsemen into play have I ever seen them.

7. Sarisin

Sarisin Deity

I'm beginning to see why I got very few comments on the bugged AC 90 event - less than 10% of players make it that far. ;)

It would be interesting to ask as a follow-on how much you, the human player, feel responsible for the movement, or lack thereof, of the Armageddon Counter.

I think, for the most part, I have some control. However, there have been some games where I just watched it go and couldn't do anything to stop it. Personally, I think it is easier if you want to increase it vs. wanting to decrease it. The main reason I say that is that by razing cities, especially big ones, you can really get that counter moving. It doesn't matter what your alignment is, you can raze cities and increase the AC. Of course, AV cities being the exception.

8. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

Considering that I don't think its ever become a problem at all, and considering I play on computer busting 26 civ games, the players power over the armageddon counter is very large =D

9. snarko

snarko DLLer

I voted 90 because while there are games where it goes to 100 there's also quite a few where it doesn't get above 60-70. But in most games it goes up.

I do reduce the passive spread for FoL/RoK (so not everyone end up with those two) and play with my options mod, alignment based religion spread pretty high. For some reason AV often replace FoL/RoK as the dominant religion using those settings. Even many neutral civs convert, those who don't (including any good civs) end up being killed or vassalized.

As for how much control I have myself, very little. Problably because I tend to play on a difficulty setting that force me to struggle just to stay alive. I don't have time to increase/lower the counter unless it's part of some strategy.

That said I haven't commented about the new AC 90 yet as I'm still busy playing the scenarios. From what I've seen of enraged so far the units aren't AT ALL aggressive, as I thought they'd be. They just run around waiting for someone to kill them, ignoring any nearby enemy units.

10. Neomega

Neomega Deity

If the map is huge the AC will rise faster, because their are more Ashen Veil cities.

I get to blight about turn 300.

I do my best to keep it down. It has yet to reach 50. I have purged with druids all ashen veil from my cities, and sanctify ruins, if I can.

11. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

If the human player is trying, then obviously it's very easy.

But if not, then it often goes over 70, but then it starts to stagnate because all the cities have already received the Ashan Veil religion, and you start to run out of ways to raise it further. Especially when the Sheaim are gone but the Elohim are still around.

12. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

I said blight, but I never finish games though...

13. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I wish the Hellfires(?) gave those axemen to the Infernals if they exist to make it a more of an AC driven civ, like the Sheaim

14. megamanx06

megamanx06 Caswallan

that's exactly what it is for me too. I've gotten Stephanos once (don't know what happened to him, I think he's hiding because i haven't seen that he's been killed but the barbarians haven't been capturing any cities), but that was on last days. I've only even started getting to blight recently.

15. zup

zup Emperor

The hellfires do give them to Hyborem. And they are champions.