1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How many Civs do you set on a map?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by janboruta, Jun 29, 2012.

1. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I've recently started using the Europe map from G&K (really good script!) but found out that with the standard number of Civs present in the game (10 for Large) the map remains a bit barren and it takes forever to discover another leaders. I've played a bit until the Renaissance but even with the AIs and me happily REX-ing there were just too many and too big empty places. The following game I've added two additional Civs but still there were many unclaimed spots. Trying today with 14 Civs on a Large map with standard number of CSs.

BUT, I've been playing a Small Continents game with all standard settings (8 Civs, Standard) and the map filled out quite nicely, and very quickly. There's my question: what are your preferred settings regarding the number of Civs and CSs per map type and size? As it seems that every map type offers varying amounts of habitable land and therefore more or less Civs are needed to not leave the player with the feeling of emptiness. What I'm looking for are some rules of thumb I could set myself for various map types and size to avoid confusion and unnecessary, tedious restarts. And maybe this will help the others with a similar problem! :)

2. Sjarrel

Sjarrel Chieftain

If I play continents or small continents I sometimes like to put sea level to high, everything else normal. Makes for a cool map with lots of competition. It fills out quickly of course. I also think there's a decent chance of the continents being separated by ocean instead of just coast, which I like because it means you can't trade your luxuries with everybody right away.

3. Revoran

Revoran Prince

The Europe map has a lot of land, it's sort of like a Pangaea map with low sea level. Having more city states with more civs will definitely help. Just keep adding civs till you feel it is no longer barren.

4. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

All of them(19 no GaK here yet)+ maximum number of CS with random map size. One gets quite interesting games on smaller maps.

5. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

Most times standard size, 8 civs, with all terrain settings at random. If I feel a bit nostalgic, I set it to tiny, no CS and 5 civs. (Just like in rev, land will be scarce and war constant).

6. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Small Continents
    Huge
    16 Civs
    24 CS's.
    Pretty amazing.

7. Esperr

Esperr King

random map, tiny(computer issues), max civs and CS's. I like the game to fill out quickly so people have to start knocking eachother around earlier.

8. CountChocula

CountChocula Chieftain

I max it out. :) With the caveat that I just started playing Civ5 (with GaK). Until GaK dropped I was pretty much a Civ4'er. Enjoying the no-stack thing. AI is still brainless and predictable though; developing a more advanced AI is pretty much where the future for this brand lies.

9. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Most of the time lately, large Fractal with 1 less AI on Emp or Imm. Adding a couple of CS.

On king I choose a civ and add an AI. Maps are usually Fractal or Continents.

On settler, continents against 1 AI.

10. lemming3k

lemming3k Chieftain

I always play marathon games on the largest map type so I think I tend to go for 10-12 civs and 20-24 city states. Haven't tried many of the variations though it worked well on Earth.
    I hate crowded maps and like some good old fashioned empire building, particularly early game.

11. Naresh

Naresh Warlord

I tried a huge map with the max (22) civs and 40 city states on continents plus.
    I found 5 neighbors within 15 turns, including: Atilla, Ottomans, Aztecs, French and Rome.

By turn 150 there was an insane battle royale for our small continent, everyone was at war with at least 3 different civs at a time, as soon as a peace agreement was reached they'd declare war on the other one! :p

Sweden popped in from the "mainland" (was 5x bigger than our continent easily) and took a couple of cities off someone, but no one on the continent liked that so we all declared war on Sweden too. lasted well into the 1000's AD before only I (Songhai) and Rome were standing. We were best buds all game after than.

I felt it was the first time the AI was enjoyable rather than a challenge