• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

How much of an impact do mods have that change default values vs stuff added on ?

Tunnah

Warlord
Civ is now "finished", the game isn't getting any more updates. I have well over 100 mods, however a huge chunk of them are just changes to the base game. My game is SLOW AS BALLS, and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on the performance impact of mods.

Like, when the game starts, does it just update a database then it's done ? So any mods that change stuff already in the game have no performance impact, turn by turn ? Or do they ?

I'm asking because I'm wondering if to take all my mods with base changes and just make the changes in the XML. Of the 100, 150 mods I have, a good 50 or so are just changes of the base files rather than anything added.

Yes, database changes are made when the game is started, before the DoM screen. Mods will make this significantly longer to load if they make a lot of changes, but once the database is finished, it doesn't matter how its contents came about. However, what is added to it can certainly affect performance. Changing a yield from 1 to 2 or so won't make a difference, but modifiers and such, really anything that requires running extra condition checks, will slow the game down the more you add of them.

Oh awesome yeah it'll be the yield calculations for overlaps, funnily enough - P6T industries lol. So at the end game my times were jumping up massively, couldn't figure out why. It was because at a certain point I had so much money I'd just buy factories and plants for EVERY city, instead of managing overlaps etc. but now the game is so overwhelmed trying to figure out which city to take the overlap bonus from etc. that I'm just killing my own performance.

Cheers bud.

Top Bottom