How the heck do Marvels work?

weregamer

Gandhi of the Mongols
"Explore an alien city". OK. Except there's no expedition icon on them, explorers can't do anything to them. WTF?

Any unit (not just explorers) standing on the crater/city/fungus/etc needed for the quest will have an extra action button on the far right of their action bar (note: only after the main marvel/quest starter has been found by someone). Use that.

You're not supposed to explore the big one, there are small ones on the map that are what you're looking for.

There's one BIG 3 tile marvel on the map, and several small 1 tile marvels on the map. In order to trigger the quest, any player has to find the big one. In order to get a bonus, you then have to find 3 of the small ones AFTER the big one was found, send a unit on it, and you'll have a button to explore it. Any unit that can go on the tile can do this.

The bonus you get then varies on the type of Marvel and the type of Marvel varies largely on the type of map. Some of them give global bonuses once you've found 3. Others will give you a bonus if you have a city around the small marvel.

Most of them aren't "that" significant. Except maybe for the Fossilized alien one, which grants all your units the ability to leash any alien, including Krakens, Worms and Makaras. (How that got past testing...)

Ah, a reprise of the stupid "extra button" bad UI design problem that the early satellite-crash quest had/has. Sigh.

I would have expected they'd learned to make the special buttons stand out, make them colored or something.

Thanks!

There's one BIG 3 tile marvel on the map, and several small 1 tile marvels on the map. In order to trigger the quest, any player has to find the big one. In order to get a bonus, you then have to find 3 of the small ones AFTER the big one was found, send a unit on it, and you'll have a button to explore it. Any unit that can go on the tile can do this.
I take it you are referring to the 3-hex Monstrous Alien Remnants. ("Associated with the quest 'Strength and Decay'.") Found that. Marched an Explorer right up to it, but it can't plot a path to move ONTO it.

I fully mapped the entire planet, so I can see where ALL of the 1-hex Monstrous Alien Remnants are. Haven't discovered anything that allows me to enter that phase of the quest.

I take it you are referring to the 3-hex Monstrous Alien Remnants. ("Associated with the quest 'Strength and Decay'.") Found that. Marched an Explorer right up to it, but it can't plot a path to move ONTO it.

I fully mapped the entire planet, so I can see where ALL of the 1-hex Monstrous Alien Remnants are. Haven't discovered anything that allows me to enter that phase of the quest.
Just finding the 3-tile marvel is enough to trigger the quest. Check your quests log to see if there's an entry there. If not, you've got an out-and-out bug.

Move any unit (maybe not worker or colonist? but military or explorer is fine) onto the 1-tile Monstrous Alien Remnants. A new button with a star will appear on their action bar. Click it. Do this 1 time each with 3 different 1-tile Monstrous Alien Remnants -> quest completed.

On the world-map icons, there's an option for Excavation Sites. If you turn this on, then the 1-tile marvels will have that same star icon on the map as well.

Just finding the 3-tile marvel is enough to trigger the quest. Check your quests log to see if there's an entry there. If not, you've got an out-and-out bug.

Move any unit (maybe not worker or colonist? but military or explorer is fine) onto the 1-tile Monstrous Alien Remnants. A new button with a star will appear on their action bar. Click it. Do this 1 time each with 3 different 1-tile Monstrous Alien Remnants -> quest completed.

On the world-map icons, there's an option for Excavation Sites. If you turn this on, then the 1-tile marvels will have that same star icon on the map as well.
The quest log for Strength & Decay calls for an alien biopsy (or it might be autopsy) to be made ... with no explanation of how that should be done. Currently ALL of the Monstrous Alien Remnants hexes show as impassable, like Mountain terrain.

ERRATA: It was only the 3-hex Monstrous Alien Remnants that couldn't be entered. Fortunately I had units scattered all over the map that were near some of the other 1-hex monstrosities.

Top Bottom