How to edit dds?

Zuul

Mod lister!
The DDS Converter I used before does not work in Vista 64bit. Also tried to install dds nividia plugin to Photoshop CS4 (64bit) but can not get it to work either.

So anyone got any tip how to edit a dds file in Vista 64bit?

You can try to edit dds files with gimp (+ gimp dds plugin). Don't know if it works with Vista...

Made the texture.
Now, what compression type and format type should I save in?

Edit:
From this thread I guess it's the dxt3.

Edit2:
It got same file size :). Now to test it.

Edit3:
Worked perfectly in game. Now to improve some AoD2 graphics.

Maybe this thread is helpful. Edit: Maybe not... :) But i can tell you that I always use BC3/DXT5.
And make sure you unselect "Generate mipmaps". :)

But normal unit textures in col do have mipmap (should be faster).

Hmm, I believe I read somewhere that mipmaps are generated by col2, no need for gimp to do that...

But why did the devs add them to unit skins then?
Maybe it's changed since civ4, or maybe because mipmaps in the dds is faster (hardware accelerated).

That thread mostly talks about 2d icons not textures.

Mip-maps are Low-res textures used on lower details settings for saving graphics memory.
If you skip mip-maps, this particular texture will allways look sharp and crisp, regardles the detail setting. Could stand out a bit... Memory should be not that big of a issue - most textures are smallish anyway, and a moderately modern PC should have no trouble here... In theory they could also get used when you zoom out far for slighly better performance, but i am not sure if Civ engine is doing that... Overall, where textures are concerned, it's more or less your choice - i prefer including them units textures.

For 2D and Interface graphics howevery ou should allways leave the mip-maps off. This is i.e. important on icons - firstly because icons are tiny anyway and also because otherwise the game will use a tiny mip-map sometimes - like 16x16 pixel - and stretch it to full icon size - which is 64x64 - thus making the icon look very blury and unpleasant.

Top Bottom