How to generate maps with more oasis

Mr_PeaCH

Chieftain
Oasises? Oasi?

I am on a mission to play Egypt/Cleopatra with a particular combination of settings. Included is a mod which boosts the vanilla benefit for the desert oasis tile.

For the life of me I cannot seem to generate a type of map which reliably gives me an oasis relatively near my starting position. So I'm asking if anyone knows of settings which will be more likely to generate oasis tiles in the desert on a map or, god forbid, edit a map and insert a few oasis tiles?

Common sense dictates that a map will have a larger percentage of desert tiles when you select both a HOT and an ARID world. Is there any more to it? And Cleopatra is given to starting in or very near a desert.

I can recall very well that I have played on maps before where I have come across two or three oasis tiles close to one another in a desert but I cannot seem to reproduce those results now that I'm specifically wanting to.

I have taken to toggling the debug console and doing "reveal all" at the start just to see and I'd swear that even on a large sized map, with both HOT and ARID chosen, (typically also either PANGEA or FRACTAL) maybe one map in two will have even a single oasis.

Can anyone speak to this? Did something change in the game map seed to greatly restrict oasis tiles being generated? Is there more to it than simply a ratio of oasis tiles in the greater number of desert tiles? Does world age or sea level make any difference? Does ratio of resources?

Should i just resign myself to editing any given map and adding oasis tiles... and if so, how do I do that? :)

Hot alone will give you more desert, no need for arid. AFAIK arid v wet just dictates forest, jungle and marshes. Maybe try hot and wet?

Vic nailed it. HOT and ARID gives you deserts, but not good oases or forest, jungle, marshes, etc. HOT and NORMAL gives some and HOT AND WET gives more oases, forest, jungle, marshes!

I was being stubborn, thanks for showing me the light but I should have experimented more. Hopefully this will help someone else.

PS - related but is there anywhere that anyone has broken down all of the map generation settings? Planet AGE will determine more mountains and hills (YOUNG) or fewer (OLD). SEA LEVEL? HIGH gives less land tiles over all, LOW gives more? Does it affect anything else? I've heard maybe more lakes and inland seas if you go LOW...

Top Bottom