How to handle exploration

Feliz

Chieftain
I've set up most of my game creation settings to random. So I started a game yesterday where the entire coastline was made visible to me. My notification bar lit up with about a dozen or more alerts about discovered resource pods. Add about 6 spots for an expedition and I had a big list of places to go.

My problem: how do you manage it? I can't find a coordinate system where I could just write down a list, nor do I find a way to flag a spot or to leave a note. 20 rounds later I usually find myself scanning the whole territory on the screen again and missing yet another crashed vehicle in the deep sea to explore.

Any tips welcome.

Also, it seems that auto-explore doesn't try to set up expeditions in all spots where it is possible and often misses picking up resource pods.

Hm... good question. I mean it'svery tempting to go straight for those spots, but at the same time don't forget there is probably plenty of pods/sites nearby not on the coast. I'd probably suggest just going about an usual search regime. Usually for me personally I'd send 1-2 patrol boats seaward, and three explorers in three directions and just nab whatever is possible. Maybe try that?

the map filter options help a bit with the exploration sites ("eye" icon next to the minimap) - if you turn off the resource icons, you have a much easier time spotting the icons for exploration sites.

Just found out: The notification log keeps track of the resource pods. Clicking on the notification will send me to their position.

I do wish there was a way to put pins or flags on spots of interest. Sometimes I go by an area that looks good for some reason, then later I'm trying to remember where exactly it was.

I do wish there was a way to put pins or flags on spots of interest. Sometimes I go by an area that looks good for some reason, then later I'm trying to remember where exactly it was.

That would be an excellent idea for a mod.

The note taking has to be in the engine somewhere. I recall doing that on Colonization, both old and new version.

Typically, my exploration is roughly the same each time--

With first explorer, start making a concentric ring around the capital, diverting to pickup resource pods, his first expedition will always be a crashed lander/derelict settlement etc. in hopes of the production boost.

City builds an Earth relic, then 2-3 explorers (assuming a land start here).

Second explorer goes the opposite direction of wherever my initial explorer is. The third and fourth will go back to where one of the first two explorers started coming back because their expedition modules are empty.

I might send one explorer on a B-Line to the nearest Civ or station, just to enable trade routes/diplomacy.

Notes -- the AI seems to never build expeditions at sea. Therefore, you should really consider not doing sea-expeditions in favor of land ones until you and the AI have done most of the land expeditions. Go to the sea-expeditions later.

-- Always get supremacy upgrades from progenitor ruins until at least level 2. The extra expedition is worth it and you're going to get level 2 supremacy anyways. Likewise, I usually choose the supremacy quests in the beginning for the same reason.

-- Build a laboratory sooner rather than later. It can give you a free expedition module from it's quest.

-- Ignore the above two points if you go prosperity. The expedition module virtue is great and getting more than 4 modules is overkill.

-- As mentioned above, I prioritize Earth-based expedition sites because the +80 production is huge. It can easily catapult you 10-20 turns ahead of the competition.

--I don't prioritize them if there's a rival nearby, and it's a land expedition.

Top Bottom