How to intercept nukes

Qarnix

Chieftain
I have done some research on intercepting nukes. I wrote a complete research document on the issue that you can find here, including the save game used for testing.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/133KqHFjzGz3JbTeJgE1_9IEWNFdkTULc?usp=sharing

the conclusions of the document is:

• There is no difference between intercepting nuclear devices or thermonuclear devices. Thermonuclear devices can still kill intercepting units because of their two tile blast radius, which is bigger than the 1 tile intercept radius.

• Bombers and Jet bombers can be intercepted as long as 50HP or more damage has been done.

• Mobile SAM units and Missile Cruiser are very effective at intercepting. The only time they might fail is if the unit is very low on health or has other modifiers that lower their strength which results in not doing 50HP of damage to an incoming Bomber or Jet Bomber.

• Without promotions, battleships only counter missiles shot from a missile silo.

• Anti-Air Guns do not protect from Nuclear Submarine launched devices.

EDIT: the save game for testing can be downloaded below.

Attachments

• Intercepting test all scenarios.Civ6Save
    720.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Hello !

Thanks for the post, I ve learnt lots of things.

I wanted to ask you though. I ve never had the opportunity to use AA guns because the AI doesnt use aircraft.
I always felt that bombers are quite overpowered (especially compared to siege units).

Are AA guns,mobile SAM and Missile Cruisers really effective at limiting the effectiveness of aircraft?

Hello !

Thanks for the post, I ve learnt lots of things.

I wanted to ask you though. I ve never had the opportunity to use AA guns because the AI doesnt use aircraft.
I always felt that bombers are quite overpowered (especially compared to siege units).

Are AA guns,mobile SAM and Missile Cruisers really effective at limiting the effectiveness of aircraft?

What I noticed during testing is that a full health not promoted anti air unit (and therefore their upgrade the Mobile SAM as well) will a lot of damage to bombers. Anti air will do more than 50HP damage to a Jet Bomber even, which is enough to intercept a nuclear strike. Missile cruisers are stronger than Mobile SAMs and often take out the complete bomber in one hit. You can test yourself, I have included the save game.

Yeah, done here before.
You need to be adjacent to the target tile to be counted.
I updated the wiki on mobile sams because it was wrong, someone called me a liar so put a reference at the bottom of the wiki to the testing post
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Mobile_SAM_(Civ6)
You used to not be able to stop sub missiles at all, it was good it changed.
@Qarnix you forgot to mention that if you declare war, fire a missile and they shoot down the missile you are not at war and you do not lose the missile. No war weariness to either side and no negative diplomacy wether the missile worked or not A bit silly.
Full marks for also testing.

Last edited:
Yeah, done here before.
You need to be adjacent to the target tile to be counted.
I updated the wiki on mobile sams because it was wrong, someone called me a liar so put a reference at the bottom of the wiki to the testing post
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Mobile_SAM_(Civ6)
You used to not be able to stop sub missiles at all, it was good it changed.
@Qarnix you forgot to mention that if you declare war, fire a missile and they shoot down the missile you are not at war and you do not lose the missile. No war weariness to either side and no negative diplomacy wether the missile worked or not A bit silly.
Full marks for also testing.
Thanks! I did not mention alot to be mentioned. I was mainly interested in figuring out when I can feel safe against nukes. For all the other info, I've found it being mentioned already by you. Also used your test save but found that it lacked Battleships. I created a save that does not need someone running the tuner for testing all scenarios.

I am sorry for your experience, the one who deleted your edit was not one of our main editors but an anonymous one. If you have any trouble with editing the wiki, please write on my wiki wall, I'm Zechariah0311, the one you talked to about the Climate page. Thanks for editing the wiki :)

I have done some research on intercepting nukes. I wrote a complete research document on the issue that you can find here, including the save game used for testing.
Hi, thank you for your testing, I would like to use your results to update the civ wiki for everyone. Again, thanks so much.

I am sorry for your experience, the one who deleted your edit was not one of our main editors but an anonymous one
Hey, no offence taken in the slightest. I work at the top of my field and have to deal with those that ‘know better’ too often to take umbrage. I do get annoyed over the words best, always and the like a bit but was not the issue with the poster, just banged in empirical evidence.

I am sorry for your experience, the one who deleted your edit was not one of our main editors but an anonymous one. If you have any trouble with editing the wiki, please write on my wiki wall, I'm Zechariah0311, the one you talked to about the Climate page. Thanks for editing the wiki :)

Hi, thank you for your testing, I would like to use your results to update the civ wiki for everyone. Again, thanks so much.

Go ahead man, I'm doing this for the community and my own entertainment. A reference would be nice though :) so people can verify the data.

Moderator Action: Comment removed. Please focus on where we are going instead of where we've been. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
I am editing right now. Just wondering, does Fighter aircraft intercept nukes from submarines and silos, or only from bomber aircraft?

Oh, and by the way, I credited you at the end of the article:)

https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Air_Combat_(Civ6)

I have actually no idea. The wiki page does state "May perform Patrols to Intercept incoming enemy aircraft" which i guess is a line from the game itself. The save file is not setup with enemy airplanes because with firetuner, I have no way to put those enemy planes in Patrol mode.

does Fighter aircraft intercept nukes from submarines and silos
No, they do not. Maybe Japan should be able to but divine wind has already been used.
I had a quick read, some things are missing, fighter intercepts get +5 for each AA within 1 tile. If the intercept AA is stronger than the plane, the AA value is the leading value and the plane is +5. Also intercept and AA is a combined attack as in you do not get intercepted and then AA’d.

I have no way to put those enemy planes in Patrol mode.
It took a lot of games to capture an enemy civ with a patrolling aircraft and I failed so had to do the test with duel hot seat, no firetuner.
They do not show in combat.csv either which interceptions do.... sort of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom