How to make an accurate map with Civ3Edit

Exsanguination

No longer here
How to Make Accurate Maps by Exsanguination

Programs used:
-Civ3Edit.exe
-Abode Photoshop 6.0

We are going to recreate this map (on a 60x20 map for simplicity). The actual picture's dimensions are 600x200.

1) Plot out and find the coordinates of key points on the map:

Find the pixel coordinates for each point (I generally find 4-5 coordinates, map them in civ3edit, then go back). To do this in PS6: 1) Turn on "rulers" (ctrl+r); 2) "Show Info" (click the "info" tab in the navigator window; or go window=>show info); 3) move your cursor (make sure it is the pointer) over the decided points, and look in the "info" window for the (x,y) coordinates; 4) write them down!

Here are the first 6 on this map(enlarged, also seen as marked with a black dot on above map):

(596,110)
(591, 72)
(578, 94)
(569, 104)
(551, 102)
(497, 125)

3) Now, VERY IMPORTANT: Notice that the above coordinates won't fit on a 60x20 map. how will they? Reduce the (x,y) values ("numbers" for you non-math people) by the suitable factor: in this case, 10.

Where did I get that number? Notice the original map is 600x200, and the game map is going to be 60x20. What is the "magnitude" of change (I can't really explain this well, I'll try to if you don't understand)? - 10.

So now, the coordinates become:

(59.6,11.0)
(59.1, 7.2)
(57.8, 9.4)
(56.9, 10.4)
(55.1, 10.2)
(49.7, 12.5)

And of course, you can't put decimals on the civ3edit map. Solution? ROUND. So now, we change the coordinates again! They become:

(60, 11)* => (59, 11)
(59,7)
(58, 9)* => (58, 8)
(57, 10)* => (57, 9)
(55, 10)* => (55, 9)
(50, 13)* => (50, 12)

*We didn't have much luck with this map. Notice that the coordinates become both an odd and even number - this can't be done using the isometric Civ3 display. The only way to get around this is to look at map and decide whether or not to move either coordinate one up, or down (or across). This is one of the inaccuracies of this method of map making.

3) Plot the points in civ3edit! (tip: turn on "grid coordinates" in civ3edit. It will be kind of hard without it on).

4) Connect the dots. Check your map for the details. If you are real picky, you can plot out even more points in between those already plotted.

5) Do this all your selected points. You would get a map of Crete looking like this:

6) You're done!

***Note: You probably notice that this map is actually pretty bad (not accurate). This is due to the extraeme size constraints - I only made this for an example. To see a better example of this method, see this thread, where I made a map for the Alexander the Great Scenario. This is a very accurate map - and, as you can tell, it is much larger.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to post them!

Originally posted by thamis
Pre-test the next update...

I'm sure someone is willing to playtest the next update, right? ;)

I don't have time to do it, I can just sorta "keep things together"... The first thing will be the science advisor, the next one units.

There won't be any support (at least not from me), so please only do it if you know what you're doing. Please play one game and tell me about errors.

I'm planning on kinda finalizing this MOD and getting it out of beta phase.

Please send me your eMail address and I'll send you a link to the new mod (jan.vandercrabben$web.de) $=@, to prevent spam-searchers from finding my address.

Say what to who now? :lol:

But on the topic of the BMPtoBIC converter, it should suffice to ask: try using it on a 160x90 map :).

Originally posted by thamis
I didn't know you can even make irregular maps in CIV3... Gotta try that!

in case you want to know how: go to the 'world sizes' tab in the editor and change the approriate world size (the one closest to what you plan on making - for rules and such, you can change these also). then 'Claer Map' using the size you just edited. Beware, these changes are one-time only and cannot be changed again (unless you restart all over again).

For example: for this map, I changed the large map dimensions to 160x90, and probably reduced the tech rate a tad, then went Map -> Clear Map -> Large. Voila!

Yea, you have to check 'custom rules'. It is automatically checked iy any rules are edited, though.

Using your guide, I have started with my own map. The dimensions of the original map is 1800 px by 2000 px and the dimensions of the CIV III map are 180 by 200.

What I have noticed is that there will be alot of reduction in accuracy is there any way around this?

Yarr mateys! I'm back! Wow, that one week was short! :evilgrin:

Anyhow, allow me to explain :).

Praetorian - :confused: The whole point of this tutorial is to make accurate maps! Would you care to elaborate on what you mean?

GF - Bah! Not you too! Too many people have asked me about that blasted program!!! For the last time people: it only works on standard size civ3 maps!!!! (60x60, 80x80, etc) Try using it on a 216x83 map! :lol:

(no hard feelings GF, its just that I believe you are about the fifth or sixth person to refer to that program since I began my ATG map :))

EDIT: Have you (GF) been admonished for your sig as well? It seems that there has been a widespread crusade against controversial sigs lately... :mischief:

--Ex

Originally posted by Exsanguination
Yarr mateys! I'm back! Wow, that one week was short! :evilgrin:

Anyhow, allow me to explain :).

Praetorian - :confused: The whole point of this tutorial is to make accurate maps! Would you care to elaborate on what you mean?

--Ex

Okay, lets say I want a world 180 by 180, I use a map 1800 by 1800. I start picking points out on the map lets say 365 by 5 and 367 by 10. When I want to place these points on my map I divide by 10, this means I now have 2 points 36.5 by .5 and 36.7 by 1. the rounding must be constant, if I round up the two points become 37 by 1 and 37 by 1 if I round down 36 by 0 and 37 by 1.

Another issue is the grid in the CIV3EDIT , example you can't mark 37 by 2 or 4 by 5.

These two problems cause reduction in accuracy.

If there are probs with what I am doing, I would be happy to be corrected:goodjob:

So now, the coordinates become:

(59.6,11.0)
(59.1, 7.2)
(57.8, 9.4)
(56.9, 10.4)
(55.1, 10.2)
(49.7, 12.5)

And of course, you can't put decimals on the civ3edit map. Solution? ROUND. So now, we change the coordinates again! They become:

(60, 11)* => (59, 11)
(59,7)
(58, 9)* => (58, 8)
(57, 10)* => (57, 9)
(55, 10)* => (55, 9)
(50, 13)* => (50, 12)

*We didn't have much luck with this map. Notice that the coordinates become both an odd and even number - this can't be done using the isometric Civ3 display. The only way to get around this is to look at map and decide whether or not to move either coordinate one up, or down (or across). This is one of the inaccuracies of this method of map making.

My solution is to eye it. Trust me, it beats eyeing the whole thing :).

Originally posted by Exsanguination

My solution is to eye it. Trust me, it beats eyeing the whole thing :).

Without a doubt it beats eyeing the whole map!!!:scan: I am simply afraid that when I post my finished map people will start complaining that Italy look more like a penny loafer and not a boot, especially those that love the Roman Civ:die:

Great idea using the pixels to represent the map grid, never thought of that. Just one word of advice, though... and this worked in Civ II as well. Because of the nature of the 3D-grid, the world is sort of squashed. I find that it works well to double the up-down dimensions to get a map more like the original picture. For instance, say you have a map that is 100x100. You should create a civ map that is 100 wide by 200 tall and double the north-south pixel numbers when fixing the coordinates. This is due to the nature of the 3D grid as opposed to the flat map the picture is drawn from.

I've also tried distorting digital maps (using PSP 7.0) and superimposed an actual grid over the maps so that they are angled as the civ map grid - this works, but is a little difficult to set up correctly.

Hope this helps

Craig

Craig_Sutter said:
I find that it works well to double the up-down dimensions to get a map more like the original picture. For instance, say you have a map that is 100x100. You should create a civ map that is 100 wide by 200 tall and double the north-south pixel numbers when fixing the coordinates. This is due to the nature of the 3D grid....

Thanks for this info; so essential to getting the map right. I knew I was having this problem but I could not figure just how to compensate for it...

Top Bottom