How to outcompete opposing rock bands?

PhilBowles

Deity
Is there a way to beat a rock-band driven victory other than simply racing it? I just lost my Khmer session to Kongo despite having three times their tourism output because they got rock bands up sooner and spammed them - I was actually trying to win with religion so wasn't making many of my own (and those I did just split up due to creative differences). I can't work out how to actually interact with rock bands, and the map made my religion victory progress very slow (need to spread to another continent, and as I had no cities there I couldn't use any pressure other than that from converted cities, so I was still two civs away from victory).

Can't speak for deity, but in general you really want to be placing those Holy Sites mid-game to generate faith as well as religious alliances if you have no other sources of faith. You really want to stack 5k+ faith by the time you hit Cold War + a national park or two

Also don't allow them open borders and cut their trade routes. Getting people to war with them will also have the same effect.

Last edited:
Well you could place a unit over each location a rockband can play at since a foreign unit will block the rockband's movement. Having high Culture production help since it increase the amount of Tourist they need Before victory, but good bands can produce 10k tourism per gig which is a bit crazy since you can have several of these.

Other way would be to contain them Before they can get to rockbands such as raiding them of their Culture and faith output which also help you since raids give you resources and may also help you spread your religion since military units can protect your religious agents and kill enemy ones. A pure religious only victory without using any other Tools is probably going to be harder to pull of, especially if you are delayed as in that game, atleast taking/founding one city on the other continent would help you produce religious agents that could quickly convert more cities.

Anyway I don't think the rockbands is the biggest issue but the symptom of probably being to passive with the religious goal and maybe also not trying to hinder the other civilization's progress in any way. My suggestion is to play more like a crusader state that spread religion with military means and maybe raid but otherwise don't really take cities, maybe you could treat the other continent as the new World and role play with conquest and conversion of it in mind.

Can’t you just use that music censorship card? The one that stops foreign bands from playing in your borders?

Or is it the AI playing shows in other AI nations you want to stop? If that is the case you could invade the AI nation playing the music.

@Denkt option comes way before music censorship and even a 1 charge builder or a half used artist will stop a rock band, especially stop them playing at your wonders... for example nuking them will kill the band If it is high level, best send it into it’s own territory before nuking though.

Funny enough, I think building less wonders if you're not willing to block them also sorta works. It's always kinda annoying to go play music only to realize they have not many wonders....

The counter argument would be that the AI would build them, typically.

Can’t you just use that music censorship card? The one that stops foreign bands from playing in your borders?

Or is it the AI playing shows in other AI nations you want to stop? If that is the case you could invade the AI nation playing the music.
If he's making enough culture per turn to get to that card, most likely he wouldn't need the card in the first place because his domestic tourists number would be high enough such that even with rock bands AI simply cannot win CV.

Something tells me the OP completely neglected culture as I have yet to see AI win CV when you are outputting ~300 culture/turn.

upload_2019-8-1_12-28-23.png

Bottom line is the rock bands can take every other civ but if your culture is high enough and your wonders blocked they will not win and the fastest victories are religious so perhaps you were too slowed in your victory, you cannot always expect to win on deity without concentrating very hard on a victory.
RV should be achievable before rock bands but deity can be tricky for a faster RV sometimes.

I name all my Canadian Rock bands after the greatest Canadian rock band ever: April Wine, but considering my luck with the random number generator I should be naming them all Tragically Hip.

For the record that game the screen shot is from ended in a DV after I swept up 5 points in one vote and then 4 turns later Carbon Reclamation put me over the top, so I never got to unleash the hoard of rock bands I was saving for the pick your promotion card. I am really digging Canada for some reason. The need to be higher in the rankings!

A pre-emptive measure could be to aggressively pillage their faith economy as that point of the game approaches.

I considered that one but the AI was never using rock bands against me.

Ultimately I think it was a case of my letting the AI get too far ahead in order to try and achieve a specific objective (winning the religious victory achievement, as I dislike Civ VI's religion system and have previously avoided trying to win religious victory) when I could simply have won in several other ways had I not focused purely on faith generation.

Bottom line is the rock bands can take every other civ but if your culture is high enough and your wonders blocked they will not win and the fastest victories are religious so perhaps you were too slowed in your victory, you cannot always expect to win on deity without concentrating very hard on a victory.
RV should be achievable before rock bands but deity can be tricky for a faster RV sometimes.

I'm used to playing more or less aimlessly and winning a science or occasionally a cultural victory on Deity, since for simply winning the game you can do more or less whatever you want - this isn't Civ IV or even Civ V.

I think you're right, though - the very fact that winning on Deity per se is not a challenge in Civ VI lulled me into a false sense of security, as I felt no rush to win (as it was I was only two or three city conversions away from winning when I lost to the rock bands). What I learned is that setting a specific objective to win with mechanics I've actively avoided using in the past is going to take more focus, at least on the first attempt.

My resource output was far lower than those in the screenshot - I rarely have more than about 800 science or culture when winning those victories, for instance.

Last edited:
The title of this thread made me think that we were going to get a "battle of the bands" mechanism where rock bands could fight each other just like religious units.

Top Bottom