How to use hidden nationality

iamzyp

Chieftain
I started to play Svartalfar (what a charming leader!:D) recently. I have questions about how to use hidden nationality and what is the best time to use Veil of Night. Since a unit with hidden nationality is not invisible, I feel difficult to attack my rival by using less powerful army with hidden nationality. On the other hand, why not directly declare a war if I'm strong enough? Once my hero was even attacked by ally...:eek: So anybody can help me with the strategy for hidden nationality? thanks a lot!:goodjob:

Use Hidden Nationality when you want to be able to fight but don't want to capture cities. A HN army can capture workers and settlers, pillage improvements and roads, and harass units moving around outside of the protection of cities.

You can use Veil of Night as a prelude to war (soften up the enemy by cutting off their supply of a strategic resource, or stage a surprise attack on their main army with the option to abort the war without diplomatic consequences if that important first battle goes poorly) or as a way to continue aggressions after the treaty has been signed (make peace but then trigger Veil of Night and harass the enemy to prevent recovery). I have also used it as a peacetime method to allow me to open my borders without enabling the other party to spread their religion in my territory.

As you mentioned, one of the dangers of using Veil of Night is that your friends may start killing your units. It is important to consider this factor, and either close your borders or cancel HN on units as is necessary to prevent unwanted conflicts from taking place. Hidden Nationality works very well with Nox Noctis (the CoE shrine), because your units can hide from the danger of friendly attackers without needing to cancel HN or close your borders, but are still at liberty to strike when you wish.

You can't capture cities with hidden nationality units. This suggests the best use of these units is not conquest but raiding. It's not a coincidence that the Svartalfar have the raiders trait and can always build Nyxkin units without horses. The units are vulnerable to attack by wandering allies but you can protect them under some tough defenders, use Nox Noctis to hide everything, or just close off your borders.

HN units don't generate war weariness which can be useful even in an open war.

Top Bottom