deleted

Its a tedious pain in the neck.

I typically push late and do mostly defense early on using inquisitors. The AI spams missionaries and apostles in the early game which runs up their cost late game. That means I can spam cheaper missionaries and apostles against their more expensive ones. Since faith output is usually pretty high at that point I can just overwhelm them.

Another thing I do is save that last charge on my apostles and just use them for combat killing their units. If you have a guru following them to keep their health up its even better. Its pretty common for me to have a posse of apostles running around "enemy" territory wiping out any opposition. Debators are great but not necessary when you have a big enough gang of apostles.

It might be quicker to wipe out other religions early on when cities are smaller and easier to flip but I find that's when I'll meet the most resistance and will lose more units which is a double whammy waste of faith in the negative pressure and lost unit.

Reactions: LMT
Its a tedious pain in the neck.

I typically push late and do mostly defense early on using inquisitors. The AI spams missionaries and apostles in the early game which runs up their cost late game. That means I can spam cheaper missionaries and apostles against their more expensive ones. Since faith output is usually pretty high at that point I can just overwhelm them.

Another thing I do is save that last charge on my apostles and just use them for combat killing their units. If you have a guru following them to keep their health up its even better. Its pretty common for me to have a posse of apostles running around "enemy" territory wiping out any opposition. Debators are great but not necessary when you have a big enough gang of apostles.

It might be quicker to wipe out other religions early on when cities are smaller and easier to flip but I find that's when I'll meet the most resistance and will lose more units which is a double whammy waste of faith in the negative pressure and lost unit.

I don't play on deity but this is the general strategy I use for my religious wins. Use early inquisitors to keep enemy religions at bay, use your faith income to continue to expand your empire, then once you're done with expansion start pumping out apostles, gurus and missionaries. Try to get as many of the religious boosting wonders as possible and upgrade the religious governor (Moksha I think?) to get extra spreads. I create groups of 3-4 apostles per 1 guru, ideally at least one apostle with the debater promotion. Each group should try to stay fairly close together so that they can surround and quickly kill other religious units, then all be healed at once by the guru. As they use up their spreads down to 1, I will usually use up 1 of each group and swap them out with a fresh apostle. Your apostle groups should prioritize religious combat first, then using charges to convert cities. Go after the civs that founded religions first, as civs with adopted religions will put little or no effort into spreading the religion. Make sure you convert every city of civ that has founded a religion; if they have (or loyalty flip) even ONE city of their founded religion, they could get some apostles or missionaries to restore their religion to their cities and you have to go convert them all over again. Once your apostles have gotten cities to having no dominant religion, missionaries should be able to push them over the edge to yours.

What are your ratio of apostles to missionaries? Apostles are like 3x more expensive so I don't think you're supposed to go apostles only.

Missionaries are super bad to convert cities that already have another religion. Apostles might be more expensive but they have so many advantages:
- They can initiate battles and spread your religon this way (if you can kill of enemy religious units).
- They have a higher combat strength.
- They have promotions which make them so much more valuable. Something like spread is at triple strength in enemy cities plus eliminating 75% of all other religions pressure is super great. Or one of these and debater. (Moksha can give them a second promotion, if you can also get yerevan to choose form any possible promotion you got the jackpot here).

You just have to keep in mind not to use your apostles last spread, so you can still use them to battle enemy units.

What are your ratio of apostles to missionaries? Apostles are like 3x more expensive so I don't think you're supposed to go apostles only.

How do you deal with apostles in enemy cities? You can't attack them, they can heal up, and missionairies trying to convert that city can get offed by them, undoing all that spread effort.

The main force of units you should be using to eliminate enemy religions is apostles, have them target enemy missionaries and apostles and use up all their charges but 1. Missionaries should then come in AFTER your apostles have cleared the enemy religion to turn the cities from no religion to your religion.

Consider Pilgrimage for founder, Holy Order for enhancer and Mosques for worship beliefs. Pilgrimage +2 faith for every city following your religion helps snowball faith, Holy Order gives you 30% cheaper Missionaries and Apostles, and Mosques will grant them additional charge.
Consider Hagia Sophia - another additional charge for Apostles and Mosques trained in this city.
Stay in Theocracy and use Religious Orders policy card for theological combat boost.
Get Moksha, use him for support at first, and when you get him to Patron Saint promotion he can then sit in the Hagia Sophia city.

Get sweet pairs of Proselytizer-Translator Apostles. A double barrel hit from each of those will likely convert any holy city - use them on the most populous cities. Accompany with a Debater if you can and/or other kind of guys to screen and fight, keep a guru or two to heal. Beware, gurus are the weakest units and get very effectively targeted first by the AI, take care. Use missionaries on small fringe cities - you only need to convert more than half of the total number of cities within a civ, so if a civ has 3 cities pop size 15-20 and 4 cities size 2-4, it will be much much easier to snatch the little ones, missionaries can do that, and if that's the last civ to convert that'll be enough.
By the way, you can use open borders and scouts or some cavalry to scout out ahead and locate hostile religious units, so that you know where to go first.

If a hostile apostle just sits in his city, don't besiege, retreat a bit and he'll likely come outside.

I usually don't bother with inquisitors, another apostle is worth more and religious combat takes care of the rest.

Oh, and if you find Yerevan on the map - that's your "I win now" button. Do whatever is necessary to get Suzerainty over them, and protect them, keep them alive and under your control. Yerevan lets you to pick Apostle promotions. Then you'll have unending stream of Proselytizers, Translators and Debaters.

One thing I didnt read so far is to deny ANY delegations/embassies from other civs while getting those for yourself. Those give diplomatic visibility which translates to combat strength for your religious units.

3 ways:
pre apostles victories:
Gandhi, Peter, Mansa, Ethiopia
make sure to get classical golden era for more charges. Flood the world with swarm of missionairies before other religions make any significant pressure using massive faith (Russia, Mali, Ethiopia) or more spreads (Gandhi)/ prefered believe - cheaper faithbuys of missionairies (Gandhi) or ignoring terrain movement penalties (Russia, Mali)

apostles victories - use tips above, but choose the right leader:
Kublai Khan of Mongolia - and do not allow establishing embasies. You would get hyper strong apostles (bonus strength from better diplo visibility), this is +12 with embassy and trading post (and trading post is established upon starting the route). You also get another yellow card to boost apostles strength or faith income

warfare victory - go Aztecs, Genghis, Zulu or whatever and kill all religion founders, or probable religion founders

Last edited:
Brazil Deity Religious Victory using Earth Goddess and Preserve Districts
Two YouTube Videos
Spoiler :

Besides the other civs mentioned in this thread, there civ is Byzantine. In this case it would be a mix of domination/religion victory: conquer some civs and converts others. I would say that makes a religious victory a lot of easier for large/huge maps. Byzantine is the best for this kind of strategy, but any other domination focused civ would do as long as you have founded a religion.

Top Bottom